Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: master key vs. valet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
When I purchased my 75 rolling chassis I only received one red top key which is the valet key I believe. It works the doors and ignition but it doesn't work the rear trunk or glove box. I'd like to get a black top or master key. When rummaging through the car early on I came across a "card " which says it's a " main key-CLE Principale " and it has a section on the card that has a HC/NC prefix and then 4 digits. I'm guessing this is the key code ? And if it is how do I know it is the correct one for this car ? Lets assume this is the correct key code who can make a key with this information ? Just a dealer ? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
hwgunner
Get a new black blank and have a key cut from the red key. The cut of the keys are the same, the red key has an extra groove in it to keep it from working the other locks. The new balck key should work everything unless the locks have been changed around.

ClayPerrine
Or just pull the locks and have a locksmith key them to work with your red key.

Yes, It works. I have my red 914/6 keyed to the red key, and Betty's orange 914 keyed to the black key. Makes it easy to tell which key to use.

rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Dec 17 2009, 12:06 PM) *

Get a new black blank and have a key cut from the red key. The cut of the keys are the same, the red key has an extra groove in it to keep it from working the other locks. The new balck key should work everything unless the locks have been changed around.

I did not know that thanks for the idea. beerchug.gif
markb
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Dec 17 2009, 12:50 PM) *

Or just pull the locks and have a locksmith key them to work with your red key.

Yes, It works. I have my red 914/6 keyed to the red key, and Betty's orange 914 keyed to the black key. Makes it easy to tell which key to use.

To do that, take them apart yourself & take out the wafer that has a "ledge" in the center, file out the "ledge", and it will work with the red key (you need a really small file)
Eric_Shea
Valet key's also limit the power to 25hp...

Talk amongst yourselves.
orange914
i don't have the "red" key, so it sounds like all i'd have to do is copy my black key onto a red blank??? walla???

mike
markb
Yup smile.gif
Krieger
??? walla???

I used to go into French class in 9th grade and say Bangjore madame kidde. I wish I new this then.
Eric_Shea
I wish I new this then

It's a town in Canaduh... they speaks the French, no?

Walla! av-943.gif
orange914
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Dec 17 2009, 07:09 PM) *

??? walla???

I used to go into French class in 9th grade and say Bangjore madame kidde. I wish I new this then.

easy now slap.gif
rfuerst911sc
I looked on Pelican and they want $25.00 per blank for the black top dry.gif does anyone sell them for a reasonable price ?
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Dec 18 2009, 12:41 PM) *

I looked on Pelican and they want $25.00 per blank for the black top dry.gif does anyone sell them for a reasonable price ?

I had some made at the local Porsche dealer, $10 IIR correctly

Paul
McMark
QUOTE(markb @ Dec 17 2009, 01:26 PM) *
To do that, take them apart yourself & take out the wafer that has a "ledge" in the center, file out the "ledge", and it will work with the red key (you need a really small file)

Got a picture of the wafer with the ledge? I don't think I've seen one of those.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.