Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Triad muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RonnieJ
I heard a clip of a Triad Muffler on a 914-4 and a 914-6 and it sounded pretty nice. Is anyone running a Triad and how do you like it? I would like to hear some response back before I drop the cash on one. Thanks
6freak
awsome! and a good guy to boot
tod914
Great muffler. I did a backdate on my 75 2.0 with SSE & a Triad. Notable gain in horsepower with the two. The Triad's noise level I would rate between a street Bursch and a Monza. It bordered on the high end of my noise tollerance, but sounded great. Monza is way too loud for my tastes. I also have sensitive ears, so might not be the best opinion to base it on.
pete-stevers
it is a great muffler,
but i would like a quieter one some days on long drives
not restrictive, loud pipes save lives!
RonnieJ
QUOTE(tod914 @ Dec 18 2009, 12:12 PM) *

Great muffler. I did a backdate on my 75 2.0 with SSE & a Triad. Notable gain in horsepower with the two. The Triad's noise level I would rate between a street Bursch and a Monza. It bordered on the high end of my noise tollerance, but sounded great. Monza is way too loud for my tastes. I also have sensitive ears, so might not be the best opinion to base it on.

I am running dual 40 webers with stainles steel heat exchangers and don't really care for the sound from my Bursch. The Triad seems to have a much better sound.
6freak
Ive had many compliments on the way my car sounds .....1970.. -6 with BB headers and triad duel out pipes
RonnieJ
QUOTE(6freak @ Dec 18 2009, 12:22 PM) *

Ive had many compliments on the way my car sounds .....1970.. -6 with BB headers and triad duel out pipes

Good deal. The tone of the Triad is like nothing else I have heard on a 914 . The Monza is way to load for me and I just don't care for the Bursch. Thanks for the feedback it is much appreciated.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Dec 18 2009, 09:18 AM) *

I am running dual 40 webers with stainles steel heat exchangers and don't really care for the sound from my Bursch. The Triad seems to have a much better sound.

agree.gif
I have the same setup and love the sound...lot more midrange sound to keep it from sounding tin-y.
number6
Dave's a great guy.

On my -4, I liked the Triad.

On my old 3.2 -6 conversion and current '69 911 coupe, the Triad has BAD reverberation between 3,000-4,2000rpm, depending on which gear. If going on a -6 that will be a daily driver, I would urge you to look into this, to see if it's something you can live with, because it gets really annoying, really fast. On the above-mentioned 3.2 (w/ headers), it was particularly bad - every passenger complained! But mind you, that's w/ the top on. Top off, the sound was great, without issue, though, TO ME, it takes away the raspy, aircooled exhaust soundtrack that I love. That's a personal preference obviously!

*Edit: I see you're looking to put the Triad on a -4. I'll leave above -6 info in case it benefits other members.
Mr.242
QUOTE(number6 @ Dec 18 2009, 12:12 PM) *

On my old 3.2 -6 conversion and current '69 911 coupe, the Triad has BAD reverberation between 3,000-4,2000rpm, depending on which gear. If going on a -6 that will be a daily driver, I would urge you to look into this, to see if it's something you can live with, because it gets really annoying, really fast. On the above-mentioned 3.2 (w/ headers), it was particularly bad - every passenger complained! But mind you, that's w/ the top on. Top off, the sound was great, without issue, though, TO ME, it takes away the raspy, aircooled exhaust soundtrack that I love. That's a personal preference obviously!

DOUGH!!!.....guess who he sold it too! I've yet to have my car up to speed with the TRIAD on my SIX.

When at idle or slight rev, I loved the sound....let's hope it was just on 'number6's vehicle, eh?

I guess he's saying....NO PASSENGERS!? lol-2.gif

beerchug.gif

number6
QUOTE(Mr.242 @ Dec 18 2009, 12:41 PM) *

QUOTE(number6 @ Dec 18 2009, 12:12 PM) *

DOUGH!!!.....guess who he sold it too! I've yet to have my car up to speed with the TRIAD on my SIX.

When at idle or slight rev, I loved the sound....let's hope it was just on 'number6's vehicle, eh?

I guess he's saying....NO PASSENGERS!? lol-2.gif

beerchug.gif

More like KEEP THE TOP OFF and enjoy the open-air motoring experience smile.gif

But seriously, this is only an annoyance for a daily driver. Top off, on the throttle, the Triad sounds great! It's putzing around, stuck ~3,000-4,000rpm that sucked w/ the 3.2 (for my setup, at least).

I won't pretend to understand exhaust systems and dynamics, but I think lots of factors come into play to contribute to the reverberation issue. I was told by Ben at M&K Exhaust that all 2-in, 2-out systems have this issue to some extent - where they differ is in how much and where on the RPM range.

Mark, glad you're making progress with your car! beerchug.gif
SGB
Probably my car in the clip you saw. It seems to have really been viewed alot. That was right after I put the triad on my 2.0 four with webers and ss HEs. It really sounds alot better now- better valve adjustment and closer carb synch make it even more mellow (not softer, mind you- still loud...).

914four
QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 18 2009, 04:00 PM) *

Probably my car in the clip you saw. It seems to have really been viewed alot. That was right after I put the triad on my 2.0 four with webers and ss HEs. It really sounds alot better now- better valve adjustment and closer carb synch make it even more mellow (not softer, mind you- still loud...).

Please post a link. I have seen it somewhere but I can't fine it now. Sounds great on my computer with nice speakers!
jmill
Is this it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBf1cpu2A2k
Gint
QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Dec 18 2009, 10:18 AM) *
Same here. I love it. Best sounding 914/4 muffler out there IMHO. I took it off and put on a stock muffler for a road trip to New Mexico a few years ago. I thought the stock muff would be uieter for a road trip. I ran the car with the stock muffler for another year or so. Just got around to putting the Triad back on a couple of months ago. Love it even more! And I realized that at highway speeds, top on or off, the Triad really isn't louder than a stock muffler with carbs and SS HEs.
Steve73
Looking into the Triad or Bursch exhaust. Leaning towards the Triad.

From their web site it seems like they can adjust the noise level to your tastes.

Any updated experiences with mufflers?
Triad West Performace Products web site
Annapolis914
Thanks for bringing this one back as I am in market as well for the 2.0. Hope to hear some additional feedback.
Steve
I have a Triad on my 3.2 with factory heat exchangers. I have not noticed any reverberation issues. Sounds great and I love the look. The only problem I had was the the tail pipes were slanted down a bit and would scrape on deep driveways. I paid a muffler shop to cut them off and reweld them on straight. Even with the additional muffler shop rework it was still a bargain compared to other dual exhaust six options.
TJB/914
Go with the Triad, I had a Burch Muffler & didn't like the low rasp slow driving sound in town.
I went Triad pray.gif and it's got the right sound drooley.gif
Tom
TJB/914
Forgot to say, those (2) pipes sticking out behind with that throaty Triad driving.gif sound look real good. It's even better when running at 3K RPM.
Tom
MikeM
Nice piece but TOO loud. It drove me crazy so I sold it.
Banana muffler is perfect.
Alphaogre
If anyone else does not want theirs, I would be glad to take it off their hands!
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(MikeM @ Jul 30 2015, 11:46 PM) *

Nice piece but TOO loud. It drove me crazy so I sold it.
Banana muffler is perfect.

I disagree. Deeper sount, not like a tin can. Much better than the monza it had before, and does not have any bad reverb like some do, or drone, at cruising speed.
And with the dual outlet and chrome tips looks great too.
Harpo
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Jul 30 2015, 04:16 PM) *

Go with the Triad, I had a Burch Muffler & didn't like the low rasp slow driving sound in town.
I went Triad pray.gif and it's got the right sound drooley.gif
Tom

Those look substantially better then when I sold those to you last year. Are those ceramic coated? Very sharp

David
campbellcj
I can say that back when I had a 914-4 2.0 I did not like the Bursch muffler, nor did I like it on an early 911 either. I don't think they are made well nor am I a fan of the sound, much, so those both got sold. That 914 got a NOS Leistritz banana that was just right IMO especially since it was an almost completely stock original car (except repainted and re-trimmed a bit).

I've never had a -4 Triad but do have one now for my -6 which I will be putting on in about a week. It's the quiet version that's supposedly in the low 90's dB. I'm testing it to see if it's viable for sound-restricted tracks. Normally run open megaphones or a (very loud) M&K on this car. I'll share a sound clip if I can.
John
I would recommend against wasting money on anything from Triad. Guy is a FLAKE. Maybe he was just having a bad day, or maybe he got old and grumpy, but I won't be buying any more from him (and I've had a couple of sets of Triad that are now destined for the dumpster). I'm not sharing the latest rude email that he sent back to me after he promised to make another set of headers.

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(John @ Aug 19 2015, 08:41 AM) *

I would recommend against wasting money on anything from Triad. Guy is a FLAKE. Maybe he was just having a bad day, or maybe he got old and grumpy, but I won't be buying any more from him (and I've had a couple of sets of Triad that are now destined for the dumpster). I'm not sharing the latest rude email that he sent back to me after he promised to make another set of headers.

John, not sure what your issue is with Triad, ive always found him to be very good about getting things done. and ive had my set for 6 years, love the sound and performance. Others i know will say the same thing.
I can also say normally these things get worked out - but that it takes 2 to tango and you just threw the guy under the bus here . He is not a big company so he's not going to get something done over night. not sure what the issue is but i would be supprised to find him unwilling to make it right with out some cause on his end.......
914_tinker
Great Muffler! Wonderful throaty sound. ++++
poorsche914
Philip... will the 914 you bring to Okteenerfest have the Triad? I am trying to decide what muffler to get for my Raby-built 2056 and would love to hear one in action.

driving.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Aug 19 2015, 10:15 AM) *

Philip... will the 914 you bring to Okteenerfest have the Triad? I am trying to decide what muffler to get for my Raby-built 2056 and would love to hear one in action.

driving.gif

Yes, i will we driving it there.
When I bought the car it had a 4 tip Monza and a rusty original 75 h.e.
When i got a set of brand new sshe for only $300 but turned out to be for 1.8, not that it really matters, I just bought the triad dual tip outlet for these specific h.e.
Anyway I like the sound. Not as loud as the monza.
You are welcome to go for a drive ad heat it at highway speed. My rpm run loser due to running ha and x gears which lowers 4&5 so that I'm about 600 rpm lower that with stock gears.
MSHax
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Dec 18 2009, 10:16 AM) *

it is a great muffler,
but i would like a quieter one some days on long drives
not restrictive, loud pipes save lives!

I own several motorcycles, they're all loud. I own a couple other classics (75 vette, 70 chevy truck), both of those are loud. I daily drive a suburban, and guess what....it's loud. I'm with you, some days, I'd like a quiet exhaust. Especially on long trips. It's annoying to hear the drone of a super 44 flowmaster exhaust for 6 hours as I drive my suburban back and forth from the bay to LA down highway 5.

Currently my 914 is really quite, but, that's going to change. How about posting a link to that sound clip of the triad, might give me some ideas tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.