Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914world feature requests!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Dr Evil
Here is a pet peeve of mine that could be fixed. I get a good amount of PM traffic. If I respond to a PM I have to go in again and delete it, or go all the way down to the bottom of the page to delete the damn thing (I have like 200 per page). It would be so very nice if you could put the delete button at the top of the PM list. I would keep a lot of my shit from clogging your servers smile.gif I got down to 1600 or so PMs left and it quickly climbed to 2500 or so. Nit picky, I know, but it would rock!

Also, if every time someone used the search function you could make it say "Hail Dr. Evil" that would be agreeable smile.gif
Rand
lmao, hail dr evil. laugh.gif aktion035.gif
I'm sorry, as to the first part of your problem, you will have to hire mini you to handle the fans. It's just the price of your vast popularity. tongue.gif
Brent
I like to first say "Hail Dr. Evil"...

The upcoming events need to stand out more. I have no idea when the next West Coast get together's are, I think latest is Tahoe right? Reminder's are cool!

Thats it...

Hail Dr. Evil (its kinda like aloha...meaning hello and goodbye)
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 21 2009, 10:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Gustl @ Dec 21 2009, 01:27 PM) *

some built in converters for the metric system ... rolleyes.gif

miles <=> km
mpg <=> Liter/100 km
feet + inches <=> meter + cm
°F <=> °C

That would require some pretty fancy logic to do that automatically. How about a easy to access conversion calculator on the site?

idea.gif Andy

that would be fine with me smile.gif
Rand
Google is my friend. Definitions, translations, and conversions are all as close as the same old search box we use for everything else.
http://www.google.com/landing/searchtips/#unitconversion
carr914
Andy, You've already done a Hell of a job, so I'm sure any improvements will be good.

Thanks again & Happy Holidays

T.C.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 22 2009, 12:13 AM) *

Here is a pet peeve of mine that could be fixed. I get a good amount of PM traffic. If I respond to a PM I have to go in again and delete it, or go all the way down to the bottom of the page to delete the damn thing (I have like 200 per page). It would be so very nice if you could put the delete button at the top of the PM list. I would keep a lot of my shit from clogging your servers smile.gif I got down to 1600 or so PMs left and it quickly climbed to 2500 or so. Nit picky, I know, but it would rock!

Also, if every time someone used the search function you could make it say "Hail Dr. Evil" that would be agreeable smile.gif

"Hail Dr. Evil"

In regards to PMs, I'd like to sort them (already provided), then within each PM have Previous and Next button to read them in the order I have them sorted. After deletion, go to the next PM in the order I have them sorted. After Reply, it returns me to my original PM I was responding to.

-- Rob
zymurgist
Hail Doctor Evil
Fix your tranny
Don't forget your bolts
They're drilled, they're so easy

Sing this to the tune of "Hail to the Redskins." Nobody is singing that song any more anyway. laugh.gif
TROJANMAN
Many forums allow you to preview a thread before actually clicking on it.
That would be nice.... smile.gif

i.e.: http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=14

If you scroll over a thread, you can read a portion of the first post
McMark
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Dec 21 2009, 07:07 PM) *
Here's a couple I would like to see...
1) All forum links across the top of all pages so you don't have to go back to the home page to get to other forums.
2) The garage is real good for collective info but how about a few more specialized forums. For example; a /6 forum or even different engine conversion forums (/6, V8, subi, ?).
3) Clean up member vendor forums of old vendors no longer active.

1) There is a quick jump menu at the bottom of each page to let you quickly jump from forum to forum.
2) Never. tongue.gif
3) Good idea! A list of such vendors with links to their threads would be helpful. (hint, hint)

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 21 2009, 09:13 PM) *
I get a good amount of PM traffic.

Evil, sounds like you need a secretary. I think 'she' would work out just fine for you... wub.gif
rtalich
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Dec 22 2009, 08:08 AM) *

Many forums allow you to preview a thread before actually clicking on it.
That would be nice.... smile.gif

i.e.: http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=14

If you scroll over a thread, you can read a portion of the first post

agree.gif

Also, for bigger threads... the ability to have it automatically go to the last unread post.
tod914
LOL Mark, looks like she meets the Trannie requirement for Mike.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 22 2009, 08:15 AM) *

I think 'she' would work out just fine for you... wub.gif

barf.gif
flipb
QUOTE(rtalich @ Dec 22 2009, 12:38 PM) *

agree.gif

Also, for bigger threads... the ability to have it automatically go to the last unread post.

That's what the little orange box icon (next to the thread title) does.
SirAndy
QUOTE(flipb @ Dec 22 2009, 09:53 AM) *

agree.gif

Even says: "Goto last unread" when you mouse over it ...

shades.gif Andy
RJMII
Here's a pic to make it even easier. =o) beerchug.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 22 2009, 11:15 AM) *

1) All forum links across the top of all pages so you don't have to go back to the home page to get to other forums.
2) The garage is real good for collective info but how about a few more specialized forums. For example; a /6 forum or even different engine conversion forums (/6, V8, subi, ?).

1) There is a quick jump menu at the bottom of each page to let you quickly jump from forum to forum.
2) Never. tongue.gif
3) Good idea! A list of such vendors with links to their threads would be helpful. (hint, hint)

Evil, sounds like you need a secretary. I think 'she' would work out just fine for you... wub.gif

A little sawzall-smiley.gif and s/he might just do tongue.gif

Why do you have this picture? I barely recognized you poke.gif

"Hail Dr. Evil"
rtalich

agree.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 22 2009, 09:58 AM) *

agree.gif

Even says: "Goto last unread" when you mouse over it ...

shades.gif Andy

QUOTE(RJMII @ Dec 22 2009, 10:01 AM) *

Hmmm... awesome! Learn something everyday smile.gif Thanks guys!!
buck toenges
How about a forum on the prototype 914? lol-2.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 22 2009, 12:13 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Dec 22 2009, 11:15 AM) *

2) Never. tongue.gif

A little sawzall-smiley.gif and s/he might just do tongue.gif

Why do you have this picture? I barely recognized you poke.gif

"Hail Dr. Evil"

At least you would know your wife would approve of your secretary. biggrin.gif

"Hail Dr. Evil"

QUOTE(buck toenges @ Dec 22 2009, 12:32 PM) *

How about a forum on the prototype 914? lol-2.gif

Don't EVEN go there.... mad.gif
Gint
QUOTE(RJMII @ Dec 22 2009, 11:01 AM) *

I use the one over on the right hand column that even says "Last post by:"

Click to view attachment

It's much easier to use than the little tiny box.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 22 2009, 03:51 PM) *

Except ... Those two are NOT the same ... poke.gif

- The little red box takes you to the first post in a thread that you haven't read yet.
- The link on the right side takes you to the last post made in the thread.

Big difference ...
smile.gif Andy
Gint
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 22 2009, 05:02 PM) *
QUOTE(Gint @ Dec 22 2009, 03:51 PM) *
Except ... Those two are NOT the same ... poke.gif

- The little red box takes you to the first post in a thread that you haven't read yet.
- The link on the right side takes you to the last post made in the thread.

Big difference ...
smile.gif Andy
I don't care. That little box is too hard to hit with a mouse pointer. If it's a post I've already seen and I'm catching up on it, it's easier to start at the last post and work my way up.

Told ya I like the site just the way it is!
computers4kids
The "signature area" is automatically collapsed to anything past the first line. This allows people to add a simple signture, and still have their mile long link list etc and the rest of us don't have to scroll half a page everytime they post.

QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 21 2009, 11:47 AM) *

-including all of site in a search, not just forums
-add searching off-site (google and the 914 custom search engine thats out there somewhere I think)

Searching has improved, but I still think adding a link to a Google Custom Search engine next to the standard built in one would be an added plus to the club. I've been using this code as you can try in my signature for two years now and love it.

zymurgist
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Dec 23 2009, 10:42 AM) *

The "signature area" is automatically collapsed to anything past the first line. This allows people to add a simple signture, and still have their mile long link list etc and the rest of us don't have to scroll half a page everytime they post.

agree.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Dec 23 2009, 10:42 AM) *

QUOTE(SGB @ Dec 21 2009, 11:47 AM) *

-including all of site in a search, not just forums
-add searching off-site (google and the 914 custom search engine thats out there somewhere I think)

Searching has improved, but I still think adding a link to a Google Custom Search engine next to the standard built in one would be an added plus to the club. I've been using this code as you can try in my signature for two years now and love it.

agree.gif I consider mine to be on the long side. I try to keep it as short as I can, but some of them out there are freaky long and have features that must torment those with dial up. Being able to collapse this area down to an inch or so and view it with a scroll bar on the side would rock.

Another thing that would rock for those of us with large PM loads, how about being able to search our PMs? I can do this with my email account and found that it is very useful.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 23 2009, 11:55 AM) *

Being able to collapse this area down to an inch or so and view it with a scroll bar on the side would rock.

I could throw the signature into a scrollable DIV of a fixed height ...
idea.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 23 2009, 01:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 23 2009, 11:55 AM) *

Being able to collapse this area down to an inch or so and view it with a scroll bar on the side would rock.

I could throw the signature into a scrollable DIV of a fixed height ...
idea.gif Andy

Ok, i played with that, should work with all skins ...

The Signature is now a block that allows for 5 lines (in the default font size) before it displays a scrollbar on the right side.
I also added a dashed frame so you can identify the block as the signature ...

Any feedback?
popcorn[1].gif Andy
Gustl
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 23 2009, 10:45 PM) *

Any feedback?
popcorn[1].gif Andy

great !!

keep it beerchug.gif
zymurgist
Good job Andy! I like it. I moved my quote up higher so it's always visible.
Rand
Cool. Too bad the css property "max-height" wasn't supported by all browsers. Then the div could auto shrink for those of us who have shorter signatures.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Dec 23 2009, 01:52 PM) *

Cool. Too bad the css property "max-height" wasn't supported by all browsers. Then the div could auto shrink for those of us who have shorter signatures.

I actually like the fact that the box is always the same size. The short signatures don't really add all that much of extra space to a page, much less overhead than some of the rather lengthy signatures we have here ...

I like it!
biggrin.gif Andy

PS: I already updated my signature so it doesn't scroll anymore ...
Dr Evil
Freaking awesome smile.gif

Only one thing, on some of my posts it is at the dead bottom and others it is a few inches from the bottom confused24.gif

Well done smile.gif
Dr Evil
I just shortened my signature, too. Fast, better, stronger smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Dec 23 2009, 02:27 PM) *

Freaking awesome smile.gif

Only one thing, on some of my posts it is at the dead bottom and others it is a few inches from the bottom confused24.gif

Well done smile.gif

That's because your avatar and status info on the left and the post on the right are in the same table row.

If your post is short, the table cell is as high as the left column, leaving space under the post (signature).

If your post is long, the table cell is as high as the right column, leaving space under your avatar/info.

bye1.gif Andy
Dr Evil
Thanks for the answer smile.gif
Dr Evil
>
<
<
<
<
<
<

O
O
Oo
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
o
O

I see what you mean biggrin.gif
Gint
laugh.gif You didn't believe him? av-943.gif

I love it! But the dash line is weird. How about a grey line that isn't too obnoxious, but still visible to differentiate the sig?
koozy
But for those that like to scroll the entire page with the mouse wheel it makes for a pain in the keester since it'll scroll on the box if yer curser is anywhere in the very wide space alocated for the sig box. As ya go down the screen, if just my murpheys law, it seems to hit every darned scroll box. Then it scrolls that box to the bottom before scrolling the page.
SirAndy
QUOTE(koozy @ Dec 23 2009, 03:20 PM) *

But for those that like to scroll ...

Just put the cursor over the left column ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
markb
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 23 2009, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(koozy @ Dec 23 2009, 03:20 PM) *

But for those that like to scroll ...

Just put the cursor over the left column ...
rolleyes.gif Andy

Go ahead, make sense..... biggrin.gif
koozy
I knew that was coming... ha ha ha
The amount of "real estate" available seems greatly reduced for what I think is a commonly used feature. Just sayin'
SirAndy
QUOTE(koozy @ Dec 23 2009, 03:36 PM) *

I knew that was coming... ha ha ha
The amount of "real estate" available seems greatly reduced for what I think is a commonly used feature. Just sayin'

Ok, i added some code to disable the mousewheel over the signature.

However, it only seems to work in IE and not Firefox ...
dry.gif Andy
koozy
Works great. Thanks!!!
McMark
wub.gif Like the new signature action. thumb3d.gif
914werke
I hate FRAMES mad.gif
koozy
Oh, now it just stops when it gets to the box then ya got to move the mouse anyway.. Hmmm... Tough thing to work through. How to get the best of both worlds...???
zymurgist
Yep, Chrome works that way too.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Dec 23 2009, 03:54 PM) *

I hate FRAMES mad.gif

It's NOT a frame! It's a scrollable DIV ... rolleyes.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(koozy @ Dec 23 2009, 04:04 PM) *

Oh, now it just stops when it gets to the box then ya got to move the mouse anyway.. Hmmm... Tough thing to work through. How to get the best of both worlds...???

Hurmpf ... Ok, back to left column scrolling ... biggrin.gif

You'll get used to it!
piratenanner.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.