Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This thing sounds Awesome!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
We just got this thing mounted and ready to go this morning. We started it up while E-man was here picking up a Christmas present for his car (clutch pulley adapter) a little while ago.
I'm going for a short ride before it gets any colder since we didn't have time to hook up the heating system yet.

messix
thats gonna be a bitch to ship!
Zimms
Looks great! Is there any performance improvements or deficincies from it?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Zimms @ Dec 23 2009, 03:32 PM) *

My Butt-o-meter says its better than factory but its no Tangerine Header. I wub.gif my EVO. smile.gif
I need to install an O2 bung, then drive around for a few days.
The sound is very different than what I'm used to. Not as loud, even at WOT but more resonant inside the car.

QUOTE('messix')

Yeah, I still have to look into that.
restore2seater
C'mon Chris, how can you post a picture without a link to a youtube video with sound. poke.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(restore2seater @ Dec 23 2009, 03:59 PM) *

C'mon Chris, how can you post a picture without a link to a youtube video with sound. poke.gif

Ed made a recording with his digital camera. I just have to prep it and upload it.
Maybe later today. driving.gif
messix
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 23 2009, 01:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Zimms @ Dec 23 2009, 03:32 PM) *

My Butt-o-meter says its better than factory but its no Tangerine Header. I wub.gif my EVO. smile.gif
I need to install an O2 bung, then drive around for a few days.
The sound is very different than what I'm used to. Not as loud, even at WOT but more resonant inside the car.

QUOTE('messix')

Yeah, I still have to look into that.

cut it and double 2l flange!?
ChrisFoley
I checked with FedEx. I can deliver it to the west coast (LA to Seattle) for $70 shipping/handling/insurance, including the heat exchangers
Cevan
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 23 2009, 04:06 PM) *

QUOTE(restore2seater @ Dec 23 2009, 03:59 PM) *

Ed made a recording with his digital camera. I just have to prep it and upload it.
Maybe later today. driving.gif

Ed, will you send it to my phone? Chris - how did you get that tranny so clean and sparkly?
r_towle
What is it?
Does it go onto 2.0 liter HE's or 1.7....for some reason I cant make it out...

Post the sound video please.

Rich
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Cevan @ Dec 23 2009, 07:28 PM) *

Chris - how did you get that tranny so clean and sparkly?

Elbow grease. biggrin.gif
I fully rebuilt it a few weeks ago, including complete pinion depth and backlash adjustments.
QUOTE('r_towle')
What is it?
Does it go onto 2.0 liter HE's or 1.7....for some reason I cant make it out...

Its the new Tangerine EVO IV Silencer.
Yes it goes on either 2.0 or 1.7 HE's. The HE outlet ends are modified for the muffler.
Click to view attachment

A 10 second video will be up soon but tomorrow will be a better day for driving.
ejm
QUOTE(Cevan @ Dec 23 2009, 07:28 PM) *

Ed, will you send it to my phone?

No can do. My camera's card was near full so I snagged the card from the LM-2. Chris has it at the shop.
ChrisFoley
I uploaded an 11 second clip to my youtube channel. Its the second on in the column on the right.
Tangerine Racing Youtube Channel
Krieger
I like the sound. It is different.
sww914
I like it, a lot. You're certainly the right guy to be experimenting like that.
It sounds a lot like the venerable Bug dual quiet pack from back in the day, but better.
ChrisFoley
It reminds me of half a V8.
underthetire
i'll bet it does but my dam youtube thing still won't work!
tat2dphreak
It reminds me of half a V8.

agree.gif

very cool! reminds me of my old 350 chebbie biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
I took it for a long ride around lunchtime after hooking up the heating system.
The car hasn't been driven in winter except when I was testing my Tangerine Header HE kit years ago.
I was toasty warm without any booster fan, and even added a little fresh air to the mix as its above freezing out here today. I'll have to do that more often, as long as the roads are fairly dry - don't want to get any salt on the underbody.

The sound level is very comfortable, probably no louder than a stock muffler.
Its a little hard to tell because the carb inlet noise is the loudest sound and stock FI cars don't have that.

I sent Ed out with Heidi when I got back and they took some in-car video. That will go up on Youtube later.

My impression of the power is that it doesn't have as much midrange as with the 1 1/2" Tangerine Header I took off but it pulls strong right to 6000rpm. I didn't try to go any further as I don't know where the valves float. Its a stock cam with HD springs and about 9:1 compression.
I was cruising on the highway at 90mph for a few minutes and I think it wanted me to go faster driving.gif biggrin.gif but holiday traffic was too heavy for me to do anything daring. Besides, I saw a few Staties along the way.
r_towle
Sounds like a winner and from my plans, its what I want.
I happen to have two 2.0 liter HE's that the flanges are gone so they are perfect to use for this.

So, provided I bring them down and pick it up (trunk of Toms car both ways) how much?

Tom might go for that also...he likes heat but lacks the HE's...so we would need to find a set.
Rich
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 24 2009, 03:15 PM) *

Sounds like a winner and from my plans, its what I want.
I happen to have two 2.0 liter HE's that the flanges are gone so they are perfect to use for this.

So, provided I bring them down and pick it up (trunk of Toms car both ways) how much?

Tom might go for that also...he likes heat but lacks the HE's...so we would need to find a set.
Rich

The muffler is essentially two EVO II Silencers built back to back. The price is $1000.
Price to modify the HEs is $150.
Tom would be much better off with a Tangerine Header for his AX car, seriously.
ChrisFoley
My Youtube Channel
I uploaded a lengthy in-car video last night.
EdwardBlume
Awesome. I agree with Steve, its sounds a lot like the old bug dual exhausts (awesome!). Will the rear valence need to be modified on both sides? Will the muffler have an option to bolt on to the stock HE's or does it require modification as pictured?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(RobW @ Dec 25 2009, 08:44 AM) *

Awesome. I agree with Steve, its sounds a lot like the old bug dual exhausts (awesome!). Will the rear valence need to be modified on both sides? Will the muffler have an option to bolt on to the stock HE's or does it require modification as pictured?

The dual tips exit the stock valence cutout and a mirrored cutout on the right, same as the six dual mufflers.
I suppose I could aim the right side down so the valence doesn't need modifying.

The HE's must be modified. It will be the same procedure for stock or SSI, 1.7 or 2.0. I will be able to provide inexpensive pipe extensions for the mod so the HEs don't have to be shipped cross-country. Or I can include a set of modified HEs with a core charge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.