Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Squeeky new 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MalibuSean1
Help!!!

I was hoping someone could help me with my squeaks. I just bought this car and the prior owner did a complete frame off restoration and he said he might have used the wrong bushings on the trailing and control arms.
He used performance bushings and they really squeak to say the least happy11.gif
I have been told to just take them out and grease them and some have even said when there out, install a grease jerk on the cases so I can just hit them whenever they act up. Is this about all you can do?

Thanks for the help in advance smile.gif
nsr-jamie
No idea how to fix your squeeks, mine squeeks too and you should hear the roof, just wanted to say your car is awesome!!
SirAndy
We just had a thread about suspension bushings a week or two ago with all options explained ad nauseam ... biggrin.gif

Can-O-Worms popcorn[1].gif

You can lube yours, zerk 'em, groove 'em or remove 'em. There's some that will always squeek, others don't if maintained well and yet others will never squeek.

I can't find the thread right now, but i know it's here somewhere ...
idea.gif Andy

PS: welcome.png
Scott S
is that the car with the V-6 (buick?) motor?
Gint
Have a look at a few of these threads. That should get you started.

Linky to 914world search for "+bushing +zirk"

And... welcome.png
SirAndy
Found the link ...

Recent thread about suspension bushing options:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=100432

driving.gif Andy
JRust
Guaranted best way to get rid of them. Drive it to my house. Leave the car with key's & signed title blink.gif . Problem solved biggrin.gif
sww914
I've had good success with silicone grease on suspension bushings. When assembling I use Super Lube in a 4oz tube, then I fill them up through the zerks with silicone grease in a grease gun. It's 20something bucks a tube but worth it.
MalibuSean1
Thanks to all for the help!

I will now get on this project. In regards to the above post, Yes it is the 300hp. buick motor. Am I still welcome in this club? chair.gif

Merry Christmas to all drunk.gif

QUOTE(sww914 @ Dec 23 2009, 06:52 PM) *

I've had good success with silicone grease on suspension bushings. When assembling I use Super Lube in a 4oz tube, then I fill them up through the zerks with silicone grease in a grease gun. It's 20something bucks a tube but worth it.

shelby/914
Anything that beautiful is always welcome no matter what is under the lid.

welcome.png
markb
welcome.png
RoadGlue
Here's what I'm using and I've got no complaints or annoying squeaks:
http://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/b...914bushings.htm
scotty b
QUOTE(MalibuSean1 @ Dec 23 2009, 02:59 PM) *

Help!!!

install a grease jerk on the cases so I can just hit them whenever they act up. Is this about all you can do?

Thanks for the help in advance smile.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif Sorry, but I found that mistype extremely funny for some reason. Yup I just turned 15
EdwardBlume
agree.gif welcome.png Just as long as you love it!
campbellcj
I've been lucky thus far to not have squeaking from the rear polyurethane bushings on my car. Next time the trailing arms come off I will use the Elephant polybronze parts.

I have the "Mike Mueller" needle bearings up front and they are the bomb. Slick motion and no squeaking or binding whatsoever. I did not do the installation myself (Ottos did) but I understand it's not a trivial undertaking to get it right. Plus they need to be inspected and cleaned/relubed periodically.

Cool car by the way - hope to see you around, maybe on the Hangover Run on Jan 1st???
scotty b
FWIW the squeaking will lessen quite a bit as they wear in, BUT it will never be completely gone. I did a whole suspension on a 924S in poly. Drove it for about 5 years. Drove me NUTZZZZ for the first 5-6 months. then one day a few years later I heard the sqeeeeeek again, and realized I had NOT heard it in a while. Thinking about doing the 944 with them. I could handle the squeak but the additional road noise they transmit was kind of annoying. That and the cherry bomb I had on it laugh.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(MalibuSean1 @ Dec 23 2009, 05:59 PM) *

...prior owner did a complete frame off restoration...

WTTC.
Others have answered your squeaking bushing question.
Tell us more about the frame-off restoration tho...

(Sorry, just being a smarta$$ - it happens now and then...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.