Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's for dinner?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sww914
What are you (YOU) cooking today? Not your mom, unless you're making a significant contribution more important than just drinking in the kitchen.
We are tired of the standard ham & turkey after 2 1/2 Thanksgivings this year so we're having a Central Coast classic meal today.

BBQ'd Tri-tip over oak. Must be oak, specifically red oak. Dry rubbed with garlic & pepper, no salt until it's been seared, tenderized with my angry fists on the kitchen counter.
Homemade salsa, big & chunky with fresh tomatoes, great over the beef.
Pan fried potatoes with carmelized onions, basil & oregano.
F. McClintock's beans out of a can, I still haven't even gotten close to this good by scratch, no recipe available anywhere.
Asparagus, marinated and grilled on the Q.
And a nice salad of several kinds of lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, bell peppers, shredded carrots, red cabbage and topped with homemade blue cheese dressing.

What crazy culinary decadence have you dreamed up for today?
Here's the view from the end of my block a few nights ago.
Click to view attachment
RoadGlue
Eggnog and brandy will be on the stove in about 1.5 hours. smile.gif
scotty b
ME ?? I'm going to be cooking up a buzz in a little while I'm wurthless. My folks are cooking steamed shrimp, crab cakes and chocolate pie. chowtime.gif I MIGHT contribute with some Margaritas if they have the appropriate pieces parts drunk.gif
Ferg
Honey Baked Ham, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans, Cresent Rolls, Assortment of Chocolate covered pretzels and Xmas cookies, Baileys and Candy Cane Hot Chocolate.
oldschool
This is what I had last night, my son is very good cook.
Todd Enlund
Today, no big deal. Last night:

Click to view attachment
Gint
I'm not cookin today. But my wife is making lasagna later. chowtime.gif And the eggnog is goin back easy.... beer3.gif
sww914
OH NO! I'm out of tri-tips!!!
Instead We're having Kebabs of beef (again, bbq'd over oak) in a Middle Eastern marinade of onions & cilantro, cumin, pepper, garlic, paprika, olive oil & lemon juice, along with some rice pilaf, bbq'd zuccinni, carrots in honey & cinnamon and some hot pita bread.
I had to improvise.
ConeDodger
I made itlog on tinapay for breakfast (big bonus if you know what that is without looking it up. Hint, it is a very common American breakfast) My wife made calderetta and a fruit salad for lunch (Calderetta is a beef stew that is traditionally made with goat meat in the Philippines. I have goats. So far she has left them alone). Tonight for dinner we go with the ham and more traditional American fare.

Last night we had dinner and celebrated with my wifes BFF Maricel. Pretty much a complete tour of the Philippines on the kitchen table.
Pat Garvey
Tonight (it's still cooking) we're having Janice's Black Angus beef stew. Tired of all the turkey & ham, so we went untraditional. Thought about making it with bison, but the local buffalo dude had already sold everything. Raises & slaughters his own, but it's in huge demand this year.
Angus will work just fine, though not quite as healthy. I'll send a pic when it's ready.
Pat
Sparky
We did lobsters, garlic mashed potatoes, and a rissoto. I cooked, I drank, I fell asleep early. smile.gif
ArtechnikA
We love tri-tip but it's hard to find in this part of the world. (Trader Joe's is just cr&p. Wegman's is reliable, glad there's one on my way home from work now...) Learned about tri-tip in Santa Maria, CA.

This year for a variety of reasons we went a bit off the traditional page too. As referenced in another thread: Pork Wellington with a root vegetable medley. I did the pork, Joy did the veggies.

(Porsche content: that is a Porsche Design slicing knife...)
hot_shoe914
I just had bacon and eggs with crescent rolls. Had cheese dip and chips for dinner.
PThompson509
We had meatloaf - made with turkey, lamb and some chorizo. piratenanner.gif On the side was couscous with peas and parmesan as well as a salad with cherry tomatoes and ranch dressing. Mmmmm.
jmill
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 25 2009, 05:02 PM) *

I made itlog on tinapay for breakfast (big bonus if you know what that is without looking it up. Hint, it is a very common American breakfast) My wife made calderetta and a fruit salad for lunch (Calderetta is a beef stew that is traditionally made with goat meat in the Philippines. I have goats. So far she has left them alone). Tonight for dinner we go with the ham and more traditional American fare.

Man I miss the bay area. At 2am we would hit up Sinugba and get some silog. It doesn't get any better than this. They serve garlic rice instead of fried rice. Much better IMHO. If your ever in SSF I highly recommend this place and Ling Nam which is right down the block. The siu bao there is the best I've had.
VaccaRabite
Last night, we ate with the fam.

Tonight I am making a roast duck. it shall be epic.

Zach
eg914
Yesterday we had bratwurst, saurkraut, potatoes baked with caraway seeds, rolls, broccoli, pickles, and beer. Today we eat leftovers (so sad! NOT!)
RoadGlue
QUOTE(eg914 @ Dec 26 2009, 10:45 AM) *

Yesterday we had bratwurst, saurkraut, potatoes baked with caraway seeds, rolls, broccoli, pickles, and beer. Today we eat leftovers (so sad! NOT!)

Win!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.