Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any tricks to getting a header collector on?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgara962
Does anyone have tips or tricks to getting the merge collector to slide on? All the pipes are still loose and easily manuverable, but I'm having a hard time getting the collector on. I can get the two bottom pipes to slide on about an inch before things start to bind up. Right now I have the two bottom and one top pipe in and the final pipe just barely in, but it won't seem to budge any further. I'm still several inches away from two tabs lining up that get a bolt in them to hold the whole thing together.
ChrisFoley
Did you leave the exhaust port connections loose?
They shouldn't be tightened until the collector is in place.
jgara962
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 26 2009, 11:29 AM) *

Did you leave the exhaust port connections loose?
They shouldn't be tightened until the collector is in place.

Yep, everything is on really loose.
jgara962
Can I spray a littlt WD40 down the collector to lube things up? Will it just burn off or catch fire?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Dec 27 2009, 12:14 PM) *

Can I spray a littlt WD40 down the collector to lube things up? Will it just burn off or catch fire?

I typically use Never-Seez. It will smoke when the header heats up but helps get it back apart if needed. Milk of Magnesia is better for long-term anti-seize.
When a header is H/T coated the joints are more susceptible to galling and anti-seize is even more important.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.