Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for some Guidance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914coop
Have a 1976 2.0 in good shape basically no rust. Purchased it as project car for us to work on together and we where close to sending it to paint last August and he backed into a fence pole. This revealed why we had to replaced a rear deck lid and a few other things as it had been hit in this area before. Damage is as as in picture.

IPB Image

Looking at possiably doing GT flares (Fiberglass), Right now considering these by QRS Fiberglass
IPB Image
IPB Image

Have a bunch of questions.
Anyone used these before?
I am guessing the fenders would need to be cut off and these attached, Welded or other?
Other options?

This car will only be a daily driver just trying to keep it nice, Upgrading to the five bolt hubs abd if I can find a 2.7 911 to rebuild and add to it I would , but not a priority as the 2.0 is running great.

Thanks
ClayPerrine
The fiberglass is light. But for a daily driver, I would put a steel fender back on and add steel flares. You can't weld the fiberglass on, and you will always have an issue with cracking in the joints between the fiberglass and the steel.

Just my $.02.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
easy repair with a bit of pulling. Much too nice to ruin with fiberglass
rick 918-S
First, in order to attach those flares you will need to pull and repair that panel before you even cut it off. If it were mine I would just repair that panel. Those flares are usually installed with dzus fasteners. Some have been bonded on but you must remember the outer body panels are part of the structure of the car. Unless you are adding chassis stiffeners and possibly a cage you will weaken the car. That's why this type of flared panel are best for race cars with stiffer chassis's. Others have mentioned cracking. This type of panel will crack where they are bonded because their not designed to be bonded on a stock chassis as a structual panel. If you really want flares install steel ones. But you still need to pull that panel. If you want to drive it up this spring I can rough it out for you in a day.
914coop
Thanks Guys, Seemed to simple. I will start looking for steel flares.

Rick, I am sending you a PM.
jmill
You can get that fender repaired for the price of the flares alone. If you like the look, steel is the way to go. I have a set myself. Also keep in mind that if you don't DIY it aint cheap to get them installed either.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.