Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 SVX swap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
FELONYRACING
The progect started with the plan to rebuild the 1.8 and just get it running. Then with the long list of parts and prices I decided to go a little bigger with a subaru svx 3.3.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The motor and tranny fit really well considering going from a 1.8 to a 3.3. The tranny mounts worked without any modification and with plenty of room to spare at the front of the motor.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The doner cars.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Had to make some room in the trunk to clear the throttle bodies and brackets. I plan on boxing it all in to house the harness and air intake.

Click to view attachment

Everything is still in the early stages so I could use any and all help.
BMXerror
DAMN! Looks fun! biggrin.gif
welcome.png
Mark D.
jimkelly
nice : )
silver74insocal
looks great. ummm...what's SVX? anyone? is that what the engine came out of? and if it isnt, what did the engine come out of? oh and Happy New Year!!
silver74insocal
QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Dec 31 2009, 07:10 PM) *

looks great. ummm...what's SVX? anyone? is that what the engine came out of? and if it isnt, what did the engine come out of? oh and Happy New Year!!

wow how did i miss that info on the first post? probably beer3.gif drunk.gif
TravisNeff
SVX is a subaru from the early 90's, which had a 6 cyl boxer engine
FELONYRACING
I was still working on the post. Still really new at this, including the conversion proccess.
KELTY360
welcome.png

SVX engine is awesome! Love seeing someone doing this to a 914. I'm in process of converting a Syncro Vanagon to the same engine. Look forward to watching this thread.

BTW, any chance you'll take it to Lewiston's Hot August Nites when it's done? I frequently go to that show and even saw a teener there last year.
FELONYRACING
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 31 2009, 08:20 PM) *

welcome.png

SVX engine is awesome! Love seeing someone doing this to a 914. I'm in process of converting a Syncro Vanagon to the same engine. Look forward to watching this thread.

BTW, any chance you'll take it to Lewiston's Hot August Nites when it's done? I frequently go to that show and even saw a teener there last year.

If i get it done by then its kinda a must since the towns are just separated by a bridge. Not to many 914's runnin around down here. Just a lot of jacked up diesels.
jimkelly
see this

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry1197168
VaccaRabite
SVX was a cool car, and it was a shame that Subaru dropped it. Its a cheap way to get easy HP for the 914.

Zach
Dr Evil
I have an itch to do something similar some day, but I want to use the new 6cyl from the Tribeca or the Forester smile.gif More power, newer, but more expensive than buying a used SVX for parts.
Mr.242
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Dec 31 2009, 08:20 PM) *

welcome.png

Cool, a person from Clarkston. I'm from Pomeroy! There are some fun roads around home I can't wait to take my 914 onto when it's running!

Wahoooo.....I will look ya up and we can make a drive out of it!
Numbchux
Awesome project! I'll be watching closely for sure. I'm helping a buddy put a 3.3 in his '96 legacy wagon in place of the 2.2 that was in it.....should be fun!
BIGKAT_83
Glad to see this thread. It got me motivated to go to the garage and work on my EG33 914 conversion.
I've been building a new DIYPNP megasquirt fuel injection control for it and finally got it running today. I'm using all of the stock subaru sensors and running a wasted spark.

Click to view attachment

Bob
goodwood73
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 2 2010, 03:50 PM) *

Glad to see this thread. It got me motivated to go to the garage and work on my EG33 914 conversion.
I've been building a new DIYPNP megasquit fuel injection control for it and finally got it running today. I'm using all of the stock subaru sensors and running a wasted spark.

Click to view attachment

Bob

yeah! Bob got it running a few hours ago! Congradulations KMA.gif
FELONYRACING
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Jan 2 2010, 03:50 PM) *

I've been building a new DIYPNP megasquit fuel injection control for it and finally got it running today. I'm using all of the stock subaru sensors and running a wasted spark.

Click to view attachment

Bob

It looks like your using the stock airbox. How are you planning on ducting the air to it? I dont know if i am going to put flares on it yet so if I do, then I will have the air scoops in them. But I just started so its a while off yet. Keep me posted on your project.
FELONYRACING
The wiring harness was something that I had to turn my brain off for. It was really hard to cut all those wires hoping the whole time that I was doing it right. I'll know pretty soon if all was done correctly.

The start of a long and tedious process.

Click to view attachment

After all the unnecessary wires were gone.

Click to view attachment

Then I was able to start on my motor mount. I had to avoid the oil filter and exhaust manifolds because the mounts on the 3.3 are towards the back of the engine and I am using the stock mounting points on the 914.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

basaltblack
Are you going to weld that mounting bar to the stock mount bar? I am doing the same conversion but still at the car on rotisserie rust repair stage. Also on the wiring I have the pinouts from all data but can't decifer what all the numbers to wires mean. Did you just follow the wires to the end and see what they plugged into?
Thanks
Chris
76er
Keep posting guys. I'm wanting to do the same conversion. I own a 76 914 (back dating bumpers) and 95 3.3 svx engine with wiring harness. Your pics and info is helpful. I was hoping not to have to cut into the trunk, However after looking at your pics that may not be possible. I am in the early planning stage and trying to collect some parts to up grade the car so it can handle the extra HP. That and finish my garage/out building. I got the underground power cable dug in this weekend, I still need to wire and insulate.But these subie post are a great motivator.
Thanks,
Rick
Porcharu
Do the Subi transmission while you at it - you will love it.
Steve
FELONYRACING
Hey guys sorry that i havent posted any info in a while. I have been busy with work, working on my Busa and building a Tl1000r for my dad. So here are some answers for you. I got the wiring diagram from small car performance. They do the subie 3.3 in a vanagon and also have a chip for the motor that helps with stalling issues. The motor mount that i built is going to bolt to the stock points on the body. It looks a little overbuilt but the 3.3 mounts are really close to the exhaust manifolds. As for cutting so much of the trunk out, some of it has to come out to clear the throttle bodies to get the oil pan the ground clearance that i wanted. Then i am using the stock airbox and mass air flow sensor so more of the trunk needed to go. Im sure that there are other options for routing the airbox than im doing. If the car turns out the way that i want it to i plan on doing the subie tranny in the future but for now I have a couple of 901's to use.
FELONYRACING
Selling my project. Haven't touched it in a while. Life got a little busy making babies instead of fun cars. Hit me up if anyone is interested in another project. 509-552-1062
robrob
QUOTE(FELONYRACING @ Mar 14 2013, 09:03 PM) *

Selling my project. Haven't touched it in a while. Life got a little busy making babies instead of fun cars. Hit me up if anyone is interested in another project. 509-552-1062

Doing the same engine swap.....got time for some questions. Thx. Rob
Chris H.
I think he sold that car. I'm doing a 3.3 swap, so you can post your questions in my thread.

Fire away:

My SVX Swap

Been off my feet for a bit with a bum knee but I'm really close to being ALMOST done.
FELONYRACING
Haven't sold it yet. To tell the truth I haven't even looked at it for a year. Still up for grabs if anyone is interested in a doner car with the the motor, tranny, and adaptor. I know this isn't where I should post it so if anyone is interested feel free to call or pm me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.