Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine stand
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Black&White
A quick ? Do I have to get the VW engine stand or will any stand do like the old V-8 ones. I am going to start my build soon but I getting all the tools readly for now.

Brad
codices
It depends upon the attachment brackets you have with the V-8 stand. I have a very generic V-8 stand that works well with the Type 4 bolt pattern as found with the 1.7, 1.8 and 2.0.

Dave
VaccaRabite
Depends. If you are only taking the engine down to a short block, and not splitting the case, then the standard HF engine stand will work fine.

If you want to split the case, or mount the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate with the engine on the stand, you need the VW adapter.

A VW adapter is only ~$40.
Zach
McMark
agree.gif

The 'V8' stand works well enough for teardown, but you'll need a VW/Porsche stand for building. The bottom line is that you can only use two attachment points to hold the engine since when you split the case, you'll 'lose' the two other attachment points. The VW/Porsche stand uses a half circle to help support the engine case more fully.
type47
Consider the adapter "half-circle" offered by Mainely-Custom-By-Design" that you can use with a V-8 engine stand but mount a German engine.
Click to view attachment
Black&White
Looks like I need the VW adapter. Dose any one know of a place to get one in WA I know I can order one but I perfore in person shoping. And supporting local guys. Thanks for every ones help. Thanks to you guys I use my 914 as a daily driver when there's no ice. The 1.8 works well but I have a 2.0 that came with it. I like to keep the 1.8 as stock and play around with the 2.0.

Brad
Dr Evil
I have adapters that I make from the bell housings of transmissions for $50. Work great and are light smile.gif
swood
Will your adapter mount to this DR.? the holes are about 8.5" apart.
Dr Evil
I dont see why it wouldnt. The holes in the bell housing match the studs on the engine confused24.gif
swood
Just wondered how the modified bell housing would attach to the two-point connection of my setup. Got a pic?
Dr Evil
I dont have a pic at the moment. I cut the bell housing flat so that you just put your mount to it.
arvcube
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 1 2010, 04:37 PM) *

I have adapters that I make from the bell housings of transmissions for $50. Work great and are light smile.gif

i'd like to see a pic, please
Dr Evil
Sorry, I spaced. I will get pics tomorrow of the almost finished ones I have in my shop and post them here since ya'll asked.
Mark Henry
Wood, isn't that a VW engine stand? you are doing a T4 right?

You can get cheapo china bench stands and they work OK if you weld a gusset onto them at the mount ears. About $25
Should fit in that stand.

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(swood @ Jan 1 2010, 08:19 PM) *

Will your adapter mount to this DR.? the holes are about 8.5" apart.

I have built 2 motors on a stand exactly like that one. its not the best out there, to be sure. But no adapter is needed.

Zach
Dr Evil
Here is a pic of a raw one. I need to remove the excess which creates nice flat spots for bolting.
arvcube
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 7 2010, 02:43 PM) *

Here is a pic of a raw one. I need to remove the excess which creates nice flat spots for bolting.

so, just for clarification, does that bolt right up to a standard harbor freight engine stand with the four adjustable arms? or does it require one of those vw 2 arm style mounts?
thanks
Dr Evil
It will mount to the HF unit. The best way to go about it is to cut the tubes off of the HF unit as the bell has a min 3.5" space to it, and then just bolt the flat metal tabs to it. You can mount a starter as well if you want to start it on the ground.
Van
Build it on a table - I drilled some holes for the head studs to go through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy6sfBcuCOc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy6sfBcuCOc
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 1 2010, 04:37 PM) *

Doc, please bring one or more to the ohio clinic. I would like to purchase.
Dr Evil
Will do. Remind me before I leave. I need to trim up a few then. I have not been trying to sell them as I have not wanted to trim them up in the cold dry.gif But, I need $$ for the bus biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.