Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: flat 8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
so maybe half the motor will be in the cockpit, but who cares.

dr
rick 918-S
Thats what I'm talking a-b-o-u-t! You could always have Porsches other V8.... wub.gif
Jake Raby
Hell, I can build one!
agentblr
wow is that the real deal,post some more pics if you got,em beerchug.gif smilie_flagge6.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Mar 22 2004, 05:57 AM)
so maybe half the motor will be in the cockpit, but who cares.

i have played with the idea ...

weld two 2.0 together and get a flat 8 with 4.0L displacement!

it wouldn't be twice as long as a /4 as you can leave off some stuff on the second case.
i think if you move back the wall to the rear trunk (like the factory did on their /8) you should be fine ...

Andy
aufaber
Or thier other OTHER 8

IPB Image
Britain Smith
Here is a pic of someone who has done the flat-8 with two type-4 cases.
scotty
THAT--is --sweet!
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Mar 22 2004, 06:35 AM)
Hell, I can build one!

how about a group buy? smile.gif

but seriously, it would probably cost a small fortune (which i currently don't posess) but if i can afford it, i will buy one from you!

Andy
Andyrew
Now that would be cool!!! I think you should make one Jake!!!

Just to prove your engine building power!

Andrew
Aaron Cox
OMG do it. do it now!!!!
MattR
Didnt the 917-30 have a flat 8? I think it was aircooled too. Some 1200 hp...
JoshuaSkinner
Matt,

All the 917 variants I'm familiar with are 12s. There is some interesting 917 info in Mark Donohue's book. Like how he helped the Germans make the turbo engine run below 5k RPM! blink.gif

Joshua Skinner
MattR
Whoops, you're right. With a few minutes of research I found the 917-30 had a flat 12, or as one site states it a 180' V12...

Whats the title of this book? I have a blue hardbound book called PORSCHE with a 917k on the cover (with gulf scheme).

BTW; if you want to buy a 917-30, apparently number 003 is for sale. I dont have a price, but this was mark donahue's main race car, so its liable to be worth a bundle. wink.gif
JoshuaSkinner
Mark Donohue's book is about his racing career and is titled "The Unfair Advantage". I showed my 5 year old son a 917 on the web. Then I had to put Le Mans in the VCR.

A friend of mine that I've known since 1st grade has a bunch of cheesy car movies. I have Grand Prix, Le Mans and Bullit for the good movies and Vanishing Point for cheese. That's all the car movies I own. He has Vanishing Point, Cannonball Run, Two Lane Blacktop (better check the jets.), etc, etc.

I'd cut up my 914 for a flat 8. The hard (read expensive) parts would be the case, crank and cam. Use 4 Type IV heads and two induction systems. Custom exhaust isn't that expensive.

Now that I think about it, if one was to build a flat 8 why keep the pushrods? Use real Porsche heads and make longer cam carriers. An 8000 RPM flat 8 would sound awesome. driving.gif

Joshua
campbellcj
The real ticket... (908)

IPB Image
scotty
Ya know....4 more gets us a 12 wink.gif
DNHunt
There's an article on the 908 in this months Excellence. Mostly racing history and not too much technical stuff but good entertainment

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.