Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 916 914-6 gt steel flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
dr914@autoatlanta.com
We are now completely out of steel flares and are in the next two months going to run 100 sets from our better than factory precise tooling (I am sure everyone knows the story of how we perfected the factory tooling)
Anyway I am gauging interest in a club group buy to help offset the tremendous cost of production. As participants in the production run the price would be a cost plus one. Tell me who is interested please.

Mark has been doing a fabulous job getting orders for the flares, and we are well over the minimum for a group buy. However please keep in mind that we only have two more weeks for you to get your order in! Also we need 12 more sets as of this date (jan 18th) to make it fly at the lowest cost, 550.00 per set. Maybe you know a friend who wants a set or to buy an extra set yourself to resell later!
ConeDodger
Mine are from the last group buy and I can vouch for the quality! I have to look at the tax returns in the next couple of months but Yeaman's may get a call this spring to put some flares on my car... Thanks George.

Here she is without them...
Bleyseng
Cost+$1 = about how much? I am interested.....
stuttgart46
I'm interested. Please let me know how much.
SirAndy
Any chance for some wider than stock flares?
If you made a set of 9"/11" i would be all over them! biggrin.gif

Having said that, i might just bite the bullet and get some of yours and cut them and add a 2" strip ...
idea.gif Andy
jmill
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 5 2010, 11:02 AM) *

(I am sure everyone knows the story of how we perfected the factory tooling)

I got in on the last group buy. I can vouch that they are way better than factory. I would buy them again. To say you perfected the tooling is a stretch. They do need some work right out of the box. smash.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...403&hl=wavy
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 5 2010, 10:54 AM) *

Having said that, i might just bite the bullet and get some of yours and cut them and add a 2" strip ...
idea.gif Andy

Hi Andy the tooling was so expensive for the factory replicas that I would NEVER be able to afford it for the few sets of the real wide ones! You know that AIR makes a wide fiberglass set though.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 5 2010, 10:32 AM) *

Hi Andy the tooling was so expensive for the factory replicas that I would NEVER be able to afford it for the few sets of the real wide ones! You know that AIR makes a wide fiberglass set though.

Yeah, i know, just dreaming ... biggrin.gif

I have a set of the extra wide FG ones but the more i think about it, the more i lean towards real metal.
sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif Andy
dflesburg
Nobody has tossed a number.

SirAndy
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 5 2010, 10:46 AM) *

I'll throw a 5 in your general direction ... laugh.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 5 2010, 12:48 PM) *

QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 5 2010, 10:46 AM) *

I'll throw a 5 in your general direction ... laugh.gif

Here comes one.....

SirAndy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 5 2010, 10:50 AM) *

The answer to everything! But what was the question? idea.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 5 2010, 12:53 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 5 2010, 10:50 AM) *

The answer to everything! But what was the question? idea.gif

the question is "What is 6 x 9?".

Remember, the GoldaFrinchens screwed up the mice's experiment by landing on earth........
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 5 2010, 12:54 PM) *

idea.gif Andy

I was going to suggest that very thing. see if you can get your hands on one and bring it to a metal shop...I suspect you can get a 2 inch strip in there without a whole ton of work...its got a straight section near the top that might make is easy.

Oh, And three, the number of the counting shall be three
rich
dr914@autoatlanta.com
No it is not, If you read the story you will know that the factory flares were and off right and left meaning not exact opposites. After we scanned the originals in Detroit at the same firm that scanned the ford gt 40 for ford, we combined the left and right programs and were able to spit out identical left and right opposite tools.
What you are writing about is the actual trimming of the stampings. Yes after they are perfectly stamped the trimming varies as it is done by hand.

QUOTE(jmill @ Jan 5 2010, 11:30 AM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 5 2010, 11:02 AM) *

(I am sure everyone knows the story of how we perfected the factory tooling)

I got in on the last group buy. I can vouch that they are way better than factory. I would buy them again. To say you perfected the tooling is a stretch. They do need some work right out of the box. smash.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...403&hl=wavy

jonferns
Still no price George?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
gauging interest. If there is enough I will calculate a killer price. If not I will not waste anyone's time.

QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ Jan 5 2010, 01:53 PM) *

Still no price George?

jonferns
Im interested, depends on the "killer price" though wink.gif
Rod
Interested too, I'll either delete my post or keep it here if the price is right. Would involve UK shipping though..
whatabout1
I could be interested based on price and timing.

dr914@autoatlanta.com
well that is why I am gauging. The more who are interested the lower the price.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 5 2010, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 5 2010, 12:54 PM) *

idea.gif Andy

I was going to suggest that very thing. see if you can get your hands on one and bring it to a metal shop...I suspect you can get a 2 inch strip in there without a whole ton of work...its got a straight section near the top that might make is easy.

Oh, And three, the number of the counting shall be three
rich

Just buy two sets and make one wide set out of them.
RJMII
I could be interested based on price and timing.

agree.gif

RJMII
The more who are interested the lower the price.

If we get everyone on here interested, will they be free + shipping?

914 owners are CSOB's,r emember? lol3.gif
ronras
I am interested in the steel flares with the group price, it all depends on the pricing.
thanks
rick 918-S
Interested. Who wouldn't be.
Smitty911
Can we offer a Price???

Price dependant, I could be in.
dwy914
I'm interested
jd74914
I'm also interested-price dependent.
Katmanken
OK guys,

For those of you that don't know anything about making parts, after you pay for the tooling, there is a little thing called a set up charge. For the first parts, the set up run is included in the tooling cost.

However, should you want more parts, the set up charge rears it's ugly head. What is a set up charge? It's a fee to schedule mold/press time, a raw material charge to order the steel, labor to set up the tool in the press, and so on.

Then the molder/stamper charges a fee for each set of parts. Order a small number of parts, and the costs are very high. Order a lot of parts, and the cost goes way down. Ran into this recently for springs. Order 5 and they are about $20 each. Order 12 or more, and they drop to $9.50. Or, for $120, I think I got 50 or 60.

I think he's trying to get us to pay for the set up charge, and to lock in a larger quantity for the same price. In return, we get a chance to buy the parts at a reduced rate.

Everybody wins.

Now if I only had a job...
tradisrad
I too am interested, but like the other it's all about the $$$. Problem is I don't plan on putting them on any time soon, so they would sit on the shelf for a year or more.
-Rob
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Thank you. Dead on.

QUOTE(kwales @ Jan 5 2010, 03:43 PM) *

OK guys,

For those of you that don't know anything about making parts, after you pay for the tooling, there is a little thing called a set up charge. For the first parts, the set up run is included in the tooling cost.

However, should you want more parts, the set up charge rears it's ugly head. What is a set up charge? It's a fee to schedule mold/press time, a raw material charge to order the steel, labor to set up the tool in the press, and so on.

Then the molder/stamper charges a fee for each set of parts. Order a small number of parts, and the costs are very high. Order a lot of parts, and the cost goes way down. Ran into this recently for springs. Order 5 and they are about $20 each. Order 12 or more, and they drop to $9.50. Or, for $120, I think I got 50 or 60.

I think he's trying to get us to pay for the set up charge, and to lock in a larger quantity for the same price. In return, we get a chance to buy the parts at a reduced rate.

Everybody wins.

Now if I only had a job...

r_towle
When would you be selling them?

Rich
914coop
I am also interested
jmill
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 5 2010, 04:14 PM) *

Interested. Who wouldn't be.

agree.gif I'm interested in another set.
Rand
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 5 2010, 02:51 PM) *

Thank you. Dead on.
QUOTE(kwales @ Jan 5 2010, 03:43 PM) *

Order a small number of parts, and the costs are very high. Order a lot of parts, and the cost goes way down.

I think people understand that cost will vary according to quantity, but they still need some kind of idea before they can know if they would be interested or not. How about some some ballpark numbers at various quantities? What range might they be if ten people commit, vs 20?
kenshapiro2002
Scared to even express an interest...they'll wind up on my door step! lol-2.gif
MalibuSean1
Thanks George for my killer deal and early shipment piratenanner.gif

I wont tell anyone about your back door special aktion035.gif
seebobgo
I'm interested
kfish914
I'm also interested-price dependent
mharmon
I'm interested in a set
pktzygt
I'm thinking I would be in on this one.
76er
I'm interested (price-dependent)
TravisNeff
Interested - price dependant.
Steve
Thanks George for putting this together in the first place!! I bought a set from your first run otherwise I would be interested. Great product and they look awesome. We all owe you for making this happen!!!
tomeric914
George, count me in!
anderssj
I'm interested . . . .
geniusanthony
Interested...
When could they be ready?
karlo
I'm interested!
WoodOne337
I am interested in a set. Thanks for putting this together. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.