Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replaced Training Arm Bushings to Poly-Bronze
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ericread
This past weekend I replaced my original rear rubber trailing arm bushings with Elephant Poly-Bronze bushings.

Well, technically, I replaced the left trailing arm rubber bushing and installed the right side bushing, because the right side rubber bushing was completely shot. I had noticed when I put my car up on jackstands earlier in the week that the right trailing arm actually had about an inch of play left to right. Although I knew that I needed to replace my rear wheel bearing, I wasn't aware (until then) that the trailing arm bushings were also completely shot.

The folks at Elephant sent me a set of trailing arm bushings and I got to work the morning of January 2. I carefully followed the instructions for rebuilding the trailing arms (located in this BBS) and 20 hours later, I drove off with new bushings and a new left wheel bearing. Luckily, there was no elongation of the bushing mounting holes.

Why did it take me 20 hours??? There was a lot of trial and error in replacing the brake correctly. Additionally, since I don't have a press I could use to remove the old bushing rods out, I had to drill-out the remaining rubber, which was somewhat time consuming (and a real PIA).

But I told you that story to tell you this:

The new poly-bronze bushings have made a huge improvement in making the car feel less stiff, while providing greater driving accuracy. I had previously upgraded to poly-bronze on the front suspension last summer. Now, having the new bushings on all four suspension corners allows the springs, struts, shocks and torsion bars to work more efficiently. This provides a smoother ride and better suspension response on rough and curvy roads.

If I were to choose between the vibration damping of the old rubber bushings, and the lowered friction of the new poly bronze bushings, I would strongly recommend the new bushings.

This is not to say that roller bearings aren't a good option, but my concern with the roller bearings is the higher initial cost and increased amount of maintenance.

Whatever you decide to do, please take a few minutes and really check the condition of your existing suspension bushings. Continued driving on severely worn bushings greatly reduces your ability to control your vehicle.

Eric
SirAndy
QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 5 2010, 05:10 PM) *

If I were to choose between the vibration damping of the old rubber bushings, and the lowered friction of the new poly bronze bushings, I would strongly recommend the new bushings.

agree.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I'm not sure i understand the "increased amount of maintenance" comment on the roller bearings.
5 years with the occasional visual inspection and 'wiggle' check, nothing else needed so far ... shades.gif

Either way, old bushings suck!
biggrin.gif Andy
ericread
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 5 2010, 05:20 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jan 5 2010, 05:10 PM) *

agree.gif smilie_pokal.gif

I'm not sure i understand the "increased amount of maintenance" comment on the roller bearings.
5 years with the occasional visual inspection and 'wiggle' check, nothing else needed so far ... shades.gif

Either way, old bushings suck!
biggrin.gif Andy

Andy;

I may have misstated my concern. From a posting by "neo914-6" back in July of 2007:

Maintenance:
1. Remove, inspect, and regrease the needle bearings each year or two (YMMV) to protect your expensive precision upgrade. They were not fully designed to protect against dirt like the original vulcanize rubber joints.

This may no longer be a requirement, but I didn't see any newer posts that corrected this. Please post the corrections, so that I do not make this error in the future.

In the meantime, I readily agree that replacement beearings are the way to go. My apologies if I misstated the needle bearings in any way (but I still like the simplicity of the poly-bronze bearings ( rolleyes.gif ).

Eric
kconway
Eric,
Can you snap some undercar photo when you get a chance? I suppose this is the next thing I need to do on my car and would like to see where the zerks end up.

Yesterday I installed the Elephant Racing rubber bushings on my control arms and what a PIA that was. After installing them incorrectly twice (written directions are not great) and having the bushings pop off while trying to orient them properly and destroying two aluminum clamps, I finely got them on...should have gone with the poly-bronze. I'm sure they go on much easier.

New rubber bushings...not much to look at but their finally on.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
ericread
QUOTE(kconway @ Jan 6 2010, 07:44 AM) *

Eric,
Can you snap some undercar photo when you get a chance? I suppose this is the next thing I need to do on my car and would like to see where the zerks end up.

Yesterday I installed the Elephant Racing rubber bushings on my control arms and what a PIA that was. After installing them incorrectly twice (written directions are not great) and having the bushings pop off while trying to orient them properly and destroying two aluminum clamps, I finely got them on...should have gone with the poly-bronze. I'm sure they go on much easier.

I'm driving to las Vegas this afternoon, but I'll try to get you some pics this weekend when I get back to SoCal. The reason I initially changed out the front rubber for the poly-bronze bushings was to eliminate the squeaking. But I found the poly-bronze units were pretty easy to install.

I found the biggest PIA for the trailing arm units were drilling the grease holes, tapping the holes and installing the zirc fittings. Other than that, I was anticipating much more difficulty in installing the rear units. But I found they went in pretty easily.

Eric
tradisrad
I love my car with Elephant bushings on all 4 corners. Smooth on the road and wicked in the corners.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.