Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear shocks/springs. Easy to DIY install?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JF914
I bought my '73 2.0 new Bilstein shocks/140# Weltmeister springs. Easy project for a DIYer? Any one posted or have a step by step, with photos?

I am pretty sure that I can pull this off...just want some tips, in case, to save from any pitfalls.

THANKS. John
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(JF914 @ Jan 7 2010, 07:07 PM) *

I bought my '73 2.0 new Bilstein shocks/140# Weltmeister springs. Easy project for a DIYer? Any one posted or have a step by step, with photos?

I am pretty sure that I can pull this off...just want some tips, in case, to save from any pitfalls.

THANKS. John

easy do not even have to remove the tires. there is a procedure in the "tech tips 700" book
JF914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jan 7 2010, 07:18 PM) *

QUOTE(JF914 @ Jan 7 2010, 07:07 PM) *

THANKS. John

easy do not even have to remove the tires. there is a procedure in the "tech tips 700" book

THANKS GEORGE. I should have noted that I purchased from YOU !!! Wonderful service.

Can you point me to the Tech Tips 700"?? I am a newbie to this site.
Dr Evil
Its a book that George wrote and sells. You can do it. Just be careful about the springs. The rest is very easy. There are tools called spring compressors that you can rent from your FLAPS to help with spring compression.
jt914-6
Back in my early 914 days we would put the spare tire over the top of the shock and loosen the nut. It would spring the wheel up a little when the threads let loose and used it to compress the spring to get the nut back on. This was stock springs. 140's may be shorter...There was no renting tools at flaps then...
Mark Henry
When I put on my 140# rear springs I didn't need a compressor.
underthetire
I did one at work during lunch. Kinda had to to get home, but it is very easy.
brant
you can do it.
not bad at all...

probably want to get a rear or 4 wheel alignment when your done though
any change to ride height (new springs) will change your alignment when your done.

Nice to see another colorado guy
are you on the colorado 914 yahoo group yet?

I'm in boulder 5 days a week if you ever need anything
The best alignment shop in the state (and probably one of the best in the whole country) is in boulder

brant
VaccaRabite
A spring compressor with a safety clip is usually under $25 from any FLAPS. You need the outside-the-spring kind (MacPherson?) not the inside-the-spring kind. As everyone else has said, it is not hard at all.

Zach
Millerwelds
I did not need a spring compressor with my 140# springs / Bilstein's either. Simple job. drunk.gif
tradisrad
QUOTE(Millerwelds @ Jan 8 2010, 08:05 AM) *

I did not need a spring compressor with my 140# springs / Bilstein's either. Simple job. drunk.gif

The 140# springs are shorter than stock so there is no need to compress them.

I don't see why you need to remove the old springs since you have new springs and shocks. Assemble the new parts. remove the old struts from the car and install the new ones. An impact wrench can aid in removing the top nut that holds the strut in the car. The bottom nut can be a PIA. Keep the strut parallel with the car and push/pull out the big bolt on the trailing arm/shock.
Chris Pincetich
Yes, and I could even reach both top and bottom to hold shock while working the top nut. Once up on jack stands, using the jack to raise and lower the wheel+trailing arm makes it super smooth too, taking the pressure off hardware during both removal and installation. Go for it! beerchug.gif
etcmss
If you want to use a spring compressor Autozone rents them (or check your local auto parts store) and then gives you your money back. results no charge (if you don't want to buy one)
sww914
I have a spring compressor and I still use the spare wheel method, it's faster and safer, IMO. Works for Boxsters and 996's too.
underthetire
If your worried about it, just get these. Hell, use em twice and toss em, whatever.
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/...r&Submit=Go
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.