Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dropping Front Suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
I'm removing the front suspension complete and I've pulled all the bolts I can see and expected the whole thing to just drop to the floor. Check me on this to be sure I didn't miss something.

1. Removed the two nuts holding the struts in the trunk area
2. Removed and hung the calipers out of the way and the swaybar links
3. Removed 8 bolts underneath, 4 on the front bearing carriers, two on the rear by the torsion bar adjusters and the two holding the crossmember to the body.
4. Removed bolt from the steering ujoint coupler in the car just inside the firewall.

I think thats it, and its not coming down. Don't want to force it until I'm sure. Did I miss something? I did NOT remove the two bolts that attach the rack to the crossmember as I'm going to install turbo tie rods as well so I wanted the whole thing to come out.

Kev
scotty b
Usually needs a little prying to get the initial drop. Put a pry bar or large screwdriver under the main cross brace at the rear and gently pry until it pops. BE CAREFULL !! Once the suspension drops it WILL still be hanging from the steering column(shaft ) . That's where it gets fun. Best way to get it the rest of the way seems to be to use a long punch, and knock on the knuckle . It will take a little bit so be patient.
r_towle
Nope.

Take out the two bolts that hold the steering rack to the main suspension cross bar...its not gonna come out with the rack (at least a simple drop)

Rich
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 10 2010, 06:00 PM) *

Nope.

Take out the two bolts that hold the steering rack to the main suspension cross bar...its not gonna come out with the rack (at least a simple drop)

Rich

If you're going to go that route you will also need to take the tie rod ends loose poke.gif
kconway
I want to take the rack out with the the crossmember and all.

Does this come loose?

Click to view attachment

It's just floating...

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
r_towle
Take out the two allen head bolts that hold the steering shaft to the body.
Its a tough angle to do it how you are attempting it but if you pull down and forward it should come loose. Right now the two allen head bolts are jambing you up.

Rich
Spoke
I agree with Rich. Pop the tie rod ends, remove the 2 bolts that hold the steering rack to the crossmember and drop the front end. Then remove the rack.

Installation is the opposite. Replace the rack, then replace the front suspension.
kconway
Sucess! By removing the two allen head bolts that hold the steering shaft to the body allowed the whole suspension to come down without popping the tie rod ends. Not positive that is what did it or whacking on the tie rod to try to free it did. piratenanner.gif

Thanks for the help!
Eric_Shea
Kevin,

I thought I posted a reply here but I don't see it today. Call me about the bushings. Back at it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.