Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Top Changes Through The Years?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
I thought they were all interchangeable but somebody on a local forum here suggested otherwise. What's the deal yo?
blitZ
I believe they are interchangeable. However, according to George's 700 tips book, the top changed mid 1973 to fit better. I have been trying for fix a roof rattle and wonder if I have an early model roof on my late model car. My top has the metal to hold down the rear seal.
914Sixer
Yes, the tops changed. Look at the mounting blocks for the rear latches. Tops changed when the door rubber changed in mid-73.
kenshapiro2002
Will a late model top fit (maybe better?) on an early car?

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 11 2010, 08:40 AM) *

Yes, the tops changed. Look at the mounting blocks for the rear latches. Tops changed when the door rubber changed in mid-73.

SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 11 2010, 06:05 AM) *

If you like standing water in your car, then yes. biggrin.gif

There's a thread here from Paul outlining all the differences between early and late tops with lots of pictures.

You can use them either way, but the seals don't line up with the windows correctly and the top will LEAK water.
shades.gif Andy
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2010, 01:20 PM) *

There's a thread here from Paul outlining all the differences between early and late tops with lots of pictures.

You can use them either way, but the seals don't line up with the windows correctly and the top will LEAK water.
shades.gif Andy

I wonder if this is what happened to me?
I bought a new top for my 76 car, sanded it and painted it. But it seals like CRAP around the side windows. I wonder if it was an early top.

Zach
kenshapiro2002
Damn! That's probably why there seems to be no way for me to get my windows in tight enough to seal against my top...my top with new seals too. Now I know I need an early top!

shades.gif Andy

kenshapiro2002
I know...search...any clues as to search words to find that thread?

shades.gif Andy

kenshapiro2002
We need to meet someday soon and try each other's top out!

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 11 2010, 01:45 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

I wonder if this is what happened to me?
I bought a new top for my 76 car, sanded it and painted it. But it seals like CRAP around the side windows. I wonder if it was an early top.

Zach

SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 11 2010, 10:50 AM) *

Found it by searching for "+early +top" ... Using the search is really not that hard guys ... rolleyes.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129

popcorn[1].gif Andy
kenshapiro2002
Much easier just to ask for your greater wisdom...thanks. Now...LMFAO...thenthread was of great help. I have the correct top. I installed the side seals on the wrong sides!!! headbang.gif lol-2.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2010, 01:58 PM) *

Found it by searching for "+early +top" ... Using the search is really not that hard guys ... rolleyes.gif

popcorn[1].gif Andy

VaccaRabite
reading that thread... I have the wrong to, to be sure. To bad it is painted to match my car. I guess I just can't drive in the rain.

Zach
kenshapiro2002
It would just start to rust again anyway!

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 11 2010, 02:16 PM) *

reading that thread... I have the wrong to, to be sure. To bad it is painted to match my car. I guess I just can't drive in the rain.

Zach

markb
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 11 2010, 11:16 AM) *

Zach

Change the seals. smile.gif
black73
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2010, 12:20 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

So are the late model windows different from early ones? blink.gif
kenshapiro2002
OMG...I am so freakin' happy! My windows now fit my seals perfectly! I was so sure that my seals were poorly made, or that my windows wouldn't adjust enough, or that I had the wrong top. This might be the second greatest day of my life!!! piratenanner.gif

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 11 2010, 02:10 PM) *

Much easier just to ask for your greater wisdom...thanks. Now...LMFAO...thenthread was of great help. I have the correct top. I installed the side seals on the wrong sides!!! headbang.gif lol-2.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2010, 01:58 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif Andy

EdwardBlume
So an early '73 top is different from a later top? I'm too lazy to do the search...
SirAndy
QUOTE(RobW @ Jan 11 2010, 04:05 PM) *

So an early '73 top is different from a later top? I'm too lazy to do the search...

The change was most likely at the same time they changed the doors and window mechanism.

Somewhere around the '72/'73 marker ... Dave P. can probably narrow this down for us ...
shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.