Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Prejudice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
kenshapiro2002
Be honest...do you have a strong 914 prejudice within the 914 world?

I , for example, think 914s with flares and body colored sail panes look incredible...so much so that I'd never own a 914 without both modifications. Wheels, engines, colors...all the other variables have nowhere near that level of prejudice with me. What's your 914 prejudice?
VaccaRabite
Nope. I am well rounded 914 owner. And I don't just mean my belly.
Skinny, flared, body kits, whatever. As long as the job is well done, I think they are kinda cool. What can I say. I'm easy.

Zach
type47
Nah, I never met a 914 I didn't like.....
Zundfolge
I love 'em all ... even the electric ones (even if they're all owned by dirty tree-hugging hippies). biggrin.gif

That said, I wish I owned a wide body with a 3.6L instead of my narrow 2.0
turnaround89
I gotta say i like them all, but i don't ever see myself owning a narrow bodied 914, i like the look of flares much much more. They give the car some much needed curves
oldschool
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 11 2010, 10:00 AM) *

Be honest...do you have a strong 914 prejudice within the 914 world?

I , for example, think 914s with flares and body colored sail panes look incredible...so much so that I'd never own a 914 without both modifications. Wheels, engines, colors...all the other variables have nowhere near that level of prejudice with me. What's your 914 prejudice?

agree.gif on how cool they look with flares, But a OG 914 is also way cool.....Sorry I like all Porsche, some just the way they.
SirAndy

What's your 914 prejudice?

Slant nose Chalon conversions ... icon8.gif

biggrin.gif Andy
jgara962
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Jan 11 2010, 10:06 AM) *

I gotta say i like them all, but i don't ever see myself owning a narrow bodied 914, i like the look of flares much much more. They give the car some much needed curves

agree.gif

I also prefer 914's with either the original 4 or a Porsche 6 conversion. I understand the appeal to put other engines in, It's just not something I'd do.
flipb
I don't have the time or $$ to do much of anything with my 914, so be default I'm keeping a stock look.

But none of the other "looks" have won me over as something to aspire to.

I will say this: I think it's one of the most versatile automotive canvasses out there. There are so many tasteful mods (and a few not-so-tasteful) that it really makes for a cool variety. Meet-ups and rambles would be a little more bland if everybody's car had the same look.

(Admittedly, this coming from someone who is yet to attend a meet-up or ramble...)

I'm sticking to a very stock look. Might make modest performance mods, in addition to those already on the car, as time and $ permit.

Frankly, and I know I'm stirthepot.gif here, I think flares are over done.
Van
I like my 914s with a little bit of rust on them...
zymurgist
QUOTE(Van @ Jan 11 2010, 01:34 PM) *

I like my 914s with a little bit of rust on them...

I like them all too.
Gustl
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Jan 11 2010, 07:00 PM) *

in general I like almost all 914 ... but I absolutely prefere highly original / unmodified cars wub.gif

beerchug.gif
Sleepin
As long as they are on jackstands, they are ok with me.
markb
QUOTE(type47 @ Jan 11 2010, 10:05 AM) *

Nah, I never met a 914 I didn't like.....

agree.gif
Mark Henry
I even like them when they're broke in half!

Well...maybe just "parts" of them biggrin.gif
codices
Like em all. Really like the flares but not the attention that would go along with them.

Dave
JmuRiz
The direction of my 914 has changed over the years (in my mind)...at first I wanted a big 6, flared GT like car, now I'm all over the period looking sleeper of a skinny fendered big 4 with subtle upgrades.

So I totally understand any direction to take a 914, so I'm not prejudice
Borderline
I absolutely hate the rusty ones dry.gif
jmill
I am very partial to flares and 6's. But I have to say this narrow body looks sweet too. wub.gif
kfish914
Love all the 914's out there. However i would love the look of GT flares and polished Fuchs on a black 914.

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif I would also love to own an original 72, 6
PanelBilly
I'm not so sure about the four door conversions.....
Sleepin
I like white ones!
carr914
Well I have owned 1.7s, 1.8s, 2.0s, Six Conversions, Real Sixes, Race Cars, Parts Cars, Narrow Bodied, GT Flared, Beck Wide Body, Non Vinyl, Vinyl, Black Roof, Body Colored Roof, Chrome Bumper, Black Bumper, F/G Bumper, So I think I Love them all wub.gif .

If I haven't owned your car in the past, I might own it in the Future.

T.C.

BTW; I really want a 914 Pick-up
ChrisFoley
I don't care much for the factory flares. biggrin.gif
plymouth37
Loved my 914 bone stock, still love it now. I love 'em no matter what has or hasn't been done to them.
That being said, a bone stock creamsicle is one of my favorite 914s.
MrKona
I used to envision installing flares on my narrow bodied light ivory 4. But the narrow body and classic color have grown on me. I'll keep it the way it is.

But on the other hand... I still like the look of flares; My 4 isn't even drivable yet, and I'm already thinking about #2 one day - Flat 6, non-metallic slate gray, flares, black bumpers, black Fuchs, black sail panels. idea.gif
jtf914
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jan 11 2010, 02:55 PM) *

The direction of my 914 has changed over the years (in my mind)...at first I wanted a big 6, flared GT like car, now I'm all over the period looking sleeper of a skinny fendered big 4 with subtle upgrades.

agree.gif

When I first bought my car I had big plans, flares, big six, big fuchs, custom interior... but the longer I had the car the more I appreciated it for what it is. I even undid most of the cosmetic changes I made in the first few years. That being said I am not a fan of body kits, but I can appreciate anything that is done well.
Dave_Darling
I don't care for most of the major body kits: 9014, Chalon, Eagle GT, "K-5"... Sheridan is the main exception to me, I really like that one!

I think the factory flares are too boxy. The race car wide fenders don't appeal that much to me either.

Body colored rocker panels and valences make the car look too "fat" to me as well.

I prefer a 914 that has a somewhat-stock-looking body.

...Though I might give up some body parts for Sir Andy's flared 916-bumpered car... Or Wyld 6...

--DD
dw914er
not a fan of the bodykits, and not a fan of them for anycar anyways.

However, wide, skinny, original, modified, 4, 6, 8, all are good with me. smile.gif

I do prefer chrome bumpers though, gives it the extra classic car feel
carr914
Wait, I forgot I am Prejudiced against the 916 front bumper. Every 914 I have bought that had one, I took it off and threw it away. However I think the 916 Rear Bumper is very cool.

T.C.
johnnie5
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 11 2010, 10:09 AM) *

Slant nose Chalon conversions ... icon8.gif

biggrin.gif Andy

+2. What a crime it is to smooth over one of the main defining characteristics of a 914.... Oh how I love the front fenders, flared or not. NO MORE CHALON KITS!
tat2dphreak
badly done conversions... esp "body conversions" done badly...

if they are done very well, they can be "ok" in my book, but not my fav. but if they are done bad... ugh
scotty b
I'm with T.C. I'm no fan of the 916 front. HATE side marker warts.
steel wheels are barf.gif Pat hates me

Flares and a carbed 6 give me a chub sheeplove.gif
kenshapiro2002
I concur.

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 12 2010, 07:40 PM) *

dw914er
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 12 2010, 05:34 AM) *

Wait, I forgot I am Prejudiced against the 916 front bumper. Every 914 I have bought that had one, I took it off and threw it away. However I think the 916 Rear Bumper is very cool.

T.C.

this too... though I dont care for the rear either... probably my chrome bumper bias kicking in though
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 12 2010, 07:40 PM) *

I DON'T HATE YOU! Because you need your meds, you may say things inappropriate. Now, for your own help, I think you need to sleep with side markers under your mattress, and find a way to fit 914 steelies to a Suby.

It's for your own good. Trust me. happy11.gif
Pat
Pat Garvey
Oh Baby, am I going to get hate mail here!

If it isn't "primarily" stock, and that can include some minor tweaks in the suspension area (sways, etc), it's bogus!

Got a four with a Raby motor - bogus!

Got a six with anything abov a 2.2 - bogus!

Added flairs - bogus!

Radio w/IPOD cap's - really bogus!

It's a classic, not a contemporary.

Let the flames begin........
Pat
bembry
I like 'em fairly stock.

NO to flares and front air dams (except the cars that these came on), tails/spoilers and V-8s (and V-6s for that matter), and body colored valences and rocker covers.

OK with Porsche 6 conversions and 5 lug conversions, and carbs added to FI cars.
RickS
I have extreme prejudice:

noun
1. an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.
2. unreasonable feelings, opinions, or attitudes, esp. of a hostile nature, regarding a racial, religious, or national group.
3. such attitudes considered collectively: The war against prejudice is never-ending.
4. damage or injury; detriment: a law that operated to the prejudice of the majority.

I have such extreme prejudice, I will no doubt keep mine for many many years to come.
jonferns
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 12 2010, 09:52 PM) *

Oh Baby, am I going to get hate mail here!

If it isn't "primarily" stock, and that can include some minor tweaks in the suspension area (sways, etc), it's bogus!

Got a four with a Raby motor - bogus!

Got a six with anything abov a 2.2 - bogus!

Added flairs - bogus!

Radio w/IPOD cap's - really bogus!

It's a classic, not a contemporary.

Let the flames begin........
Pat

Gotta agree with Pat on this one, if it didn't come with it from the factory then it shouldn't be on it now!
914junkie
I like em all as long as they are done right and look good. There are some really ugly body conversions and paint jobs out there. Aside from that the only thing that has really ever bothered me about 914's is when the ass end is lower than the front! barf.gif Soon as ya lower the front a little it looks like a different car. IMHO
Drums66
I lke them fairly stock with imperative mods.
Please no body kits!! shades.gif smoke.gif blowup.gif
DipShit
FUCH Me!
underthetire
Don't like the 916 front either. I'm ok with flairs if you enough power you need the wider tires. I do like the in-between look of a stocker with just enough changes to look a little more sporty.

AND I LOVE MY IPOD HOOKUP. We do have digital music now, you can step away from the tube a.m. radio fellas. poke.gif

(besides, i can't understand 1/2 the radio stations around here, and according to the other 1/2 i'm going to hell.)
Geezer914
I like the look of SC flairs over the factory flairs.
zymurgist
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 11 2010, 09:22 PM) *

I think the factory flares are too boxy.

agree.gif Something about them doesn't look right to me.
carr914
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jan 13 2010, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 11 2010, 09:22 PM) *

I think the factory flares are too boxy.

agree.gif Something about them doesn't look right to me.

See there is we disagree. The 914 is a squarish boxy car, the flares are perfect. The SC/930 flares to me just don't look right.

But that is one of the nice things about a 914, you can modify it ( Sorry Pat) to suit your tastes.

T.C.
DBCooper
"You can modify it to suit your tastes". Amen. To that I add that the Portuguese have a wise saying; "Don't argue about taste".

I like almost all. Not so fond of Chalons or 916 fronts or fiberglass flares, but that's OK. I guess I'm most prejudiced against 914 owners who are intolerant of others. Seeing other cars you don't much care for makes you feel better about your own car, but you need to realize that that other car's owner is probably thinking the same thing about your car, which is making him feel better about HIS own car. We're a small group. There's a place for nearly everything except prejudice and intolerance.

Oh, but then there's rust. I flat HATE rust.

rick 918-S
I like mine as a concept. I like it as a what if car.

A what if Porsche kept the best production chassis layout instead of moving to the 924.

A what if they were forward thinking enough to install a 350+ hp hybrid V8 into the best production chassis they ever built, instead of trying to build a four place car with a back seat so small you can't fit teenagers in there.

What if our cars eventually morhp'd into a brutal beast of a car that could 1.5 G's and out run a Hemi Cuda or LS6 in the straights?

What's not to like? Everyone has their likes and dislikes but tend to try to find something on everyones car they appeals to me.
jmill
I think it's time to swap out that old plate Rick. Your car is damn near perfect and my eyes keep getting drawn to that rusty plate. It's like a zit on a hot chicks nose.

I changed my mind. It's more like a tramp stamp. When it's all over you might be curled up in a corner crying for your mama.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.