Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crane LX-91 and XR700 Ignition Setup - Pictures Please!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Larouex
Hello,

I have searched and seen pictures of MSD setups on the 6's, but no pictures of the Crane setup on a 4 CYL...

I would appreciate anyone who has installed this system to add a photo (or point me to a thread) so I can see how you installed, what are your impressions and how you fab'd the installation.

Cheers,
Larouex
Grelber
I made a plate, then painted it. The optical unit and the new coil mount to the plate, then it is mounted to the firewall with nylon standoffs and rubber isolation washers. Here's a picture (that's not rust, it's the glue from the engine bay pad).

Larouex
Adding a link to an external install page and info...

http://www.9xauto.com/914ignit.html

Link to installed XR700 Ignition in Bosch Dizzy

http://cranecams.com/images/downloadable/F...(All%20PNs).jpg

Larouex
Larouex
Adding pictures of my fab...

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Cheers,
Larouex
jaxdream
I see that you are using a ballast resistor , is this required in the setup ??

Jack / Jaxdream
detoxcowboy
This is my finished set up with the crane "700", for stock 74 2.0. I do not know what your trying to do and have never seen before what you have pictured above so my stock application probably does not concern you but I thought I would throw in for anyone else maybe just wanting to use crane but for a stock application. I mounted the little black box on the fire wall but it could have been hidden w/ a little thought.. simple set up... It has been working perfectly for a couple years w/ a stock distributor and stock bosch blue coil.. 4 cylinder no mods..
Click to view attachment
Larouex
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Jan 29 2010, 07:13 AM) *

I see that you are using a ballast resistor , is this required in the setup ??

Jack / Jaxdream

Yes if you use the LX-91/92 Crane coil and the XR700, resistor is not required with the XR3000.

Larouex
jaxdream
Thanks for the reply !!

Jack / Jaxdream
pbanders
I don't have pics right now, but my setup is the XR3000 and the PS60 coil. It's very clean, as the PS60 coil goes right where the OEM coil mounts, and I put the XR3000 on the rear bulkhead, completely out of sight. Very reliable and stable ignition setup.
detoxcowboy
So your getting a hotter spark with that set up? after you drive on it awhile maybe you could post the real world improvements. I had hot spark stuff for awhile Nology ect.. I sold that crap and never noticed a difference at all, nothing start horse power smother runing ect, in fact after thourogh reading it seemed to cause hard to immeadiatley identify issues in some cases.. but that is not your set up so I am curious to what you notice after your done..
pbanders
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jan 29 2010, 09:12 AM) *

So your getting a hotter spark with that set up? after you drive on it awhile maybe you could post the real world improvements. I had hot spark stuff for awhile Nology ect.. I sold that crap and never noticed a difference at all, nothing start horse power smother runing ect, in fact after thourogh reading it seemed to cause hard to immeadiatley identify issues in some cases.. but that is not your set up so I am curious to what you notice after your done..

Detox, FWIW, I can't say that switching to my XR3000/PS60 setup had any noticable effect on performance over the stock points setup (in good condition and properly set). What I did get was zero maintenance, and a much more stable timing mark, which made setting the timing a bit more accurate.
SLITS
Rather than hotter spark, etc, what it really does is smooth out the idle and acceleration. It does this by eliminating point bounce, maintaining accurate dwell time and eliminating shaft wobble problems in worn dizzys.

While it may produce a hotter spark, you gain little horsepower, but get a cleaner burn in the cylinder (assuming the rest of your system is up to par).

Don't expect something for nothing.
Grelber
I've had the setup in post #2 for about a year now. I really like it, in that it gives me a clean power range, with no points to adjust. I haven't touched it since it was installed.

I have the 205 disty off of a 1.7L installed on my 2.0L due to the wider curve, and Weber 40's. I'd recommend the system to most anyone.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(pbanders @ Jan 29 2010, 08:59 AM) *

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Jan 29 2010, 09:12 AM) *

Detox, FWIW, I can't say that switching to my XR3000/PS60 setup had any noticable effect on performance over the stock points setup (in good condition and properly set). What I did get was zero maintenance, and a much more stable timing mark, which made setting the timing a bit more accurate.

True but I am gettng all those benifets that without the ps60 and just the xr700 and stock coil (pictured above).. but maybe there is more to it than just stablity, accuracy, and maintenance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.