Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone here ever jump there 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jaymann
Has anyone here jumped there 914,If so ,How far? Has this already been done.What kind of jump?How high?Jaymann
Katmanken
It really depends on how good of a jumper you are.

Few people can jump a 914 lengthwise.

It usually involves having a friend drive straight at you at 60 MPH, and then you jump up and the car passes below you.

Jumping high enough is mandatory, and as in comedy, timing is everything.

Did see a video of guy jumping his teener. He succeeded twice, and hit the windshield the third time and rolled....... He refused to jump after that.

He was limping a little, holding his arm and looking like he was in extreme pain.

If you meant jumping something while driving yer your car, it will probably fold in the middle when it comes down......

In either case, have insurance- both life and vehicle

Although in either case, they may refuse payout to your surviving beneficiaries...
underthetire
Sure
7TPorsh
You mean Dukes of Hazzard style???
Click to view attachment
yeahmag
I've jumped in mine once. Had the interior out and was frustrated... Jumped up and down like a little kid.
Sleepin
smilie_pokal.gif

tat2dphreak
no, but I used to have a bicycle that I used to take off some sweet jumps.
7TPorsh

Three grown men? ....in a teener? dry.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 12 2010, 01:37 PM) *

gayfight.gif
flipb
Wonder if it would've made the jump without the weight of the passengers. Actually, it did make the jump - just had a little trouble where the "landing ramp" tucks beneath the roadway when the bridge is up.

More importantly... anyone get the VIN? slap.gif

(awesome find)
underthetire
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jan 12 2010, 11:45 AM) *

gayfight.gif

Clearwater ? Is the Florida ? Where they wear pink shorts ? lol-2.gif
7TPorsh
i see. Their clothes must have been thrown in the comotion! cheer.gif eeeek
Click to view attachment
Sleepin
"Hold my beer while I try this!"
Rand
This reminded me of an ancient thread inspiring Miles to Photoshop the General 914...

IPB Image
iamchappy
Only with cables....
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jan 12 2010, 11:45 AM) *

gayfight.gif

idea.gif Someone's in need of dental work, and it's not Mr. D*ckless. . . lol-2.gif
naro914
I can tell you from experience that a teener does not go airborne well...

At Targa Newfoundland, there were a couple 'jumps' in the road, little crests, that at speed would send you airborne. For some reason, a 914 wants to immediately dive nose down and kick up the back over a crest. Twice we went over them on the road and hit the underside of the front valence immediately..

then there was the off after the wet bridge.....
Sleepin
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jan 12 2010, 04:28 PM) *

I can tell you from experience that a teener does not go airborne well...

At Targa Newfoundland, there were a couple 'jumps' in the road, little crests, that at speed would send you airborne. For some reason, a 914 wants to immediately dive nose down and kick up the back over a crest. Twice we went over them on the road and hit the underside of the front valence immediately..

then there was the off after the wet bridge.....

I wonder if the limo will do the same thing?
Cap'n Krusty
Jumping cars is movie crap. You shoulda watched the Mythbusters rerun last night. They debunked the "running through a locked chain link gate" action sequence, the "running through a fruit stand without any damage to the car" stunt, and the "dropping the car from 4000 feet while it remains flat" ad, among others. In all instances, the cars were rendered inoperable, and they had to add a buncha weight to the trunk of the car drop car to keep it relatively level. Jumping as car is no different, they're pretty much always severely compromised.

The Cap'n
naro914
the subarus in Targa seemed to go flat when they went airborne... they got a couple of them on film...just watch the cars in WRC. Otherwise...not so much.
scotty b
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 12 2010, 03:45 PM) *

Jumping cars is movie crap. You shoulda watched the Mythbusters rerun last night. They debunked the "running through a locked chain link gate" action sequence, the "running through a fruit stand without any damage to the car" stunt, and the "dropping the car from 4000 feet while it remains flat" ad, among others. In all instances, the cars were rendered inoperable, and they had to add a buncha weight to the trunk of the car drop car to keep it relatively level. Jumping as car is no different, they're pretty much always severely compromised.

The Cap'n

Yeah but they skipped one across open water....... stirthepot.gif
6freak
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 12 2010, 04:34 PM) *

The Cap'n

Yeah but they skipped one across open water....... stirthepot.gif

with Nitrous none the less ...I`ll see your stirthepot.gif and raise ya one stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jan 12 2010, 07:12 PM) *

the subarus in Targa seemed to go flat when they went airborne... they got a couple of them on film...just watch the cars in WRC. Otherwise...not so much.

Those cars are literally built for it. I am surprised to hear that Huey dives. Did you brake at all at the jumps? Even touching the pedal will start to induce a dive.

Of course, most front spoilers on WRC cars are killed by the end of the stage.

Zach
Rand
The Subarus stay amazingly flat. There are a ton of rally photos with crazy air. Then there's the crazy Ken Block stuff.

IPB Image
ArtechnikA
Willow Springs, cold tires, terminal understeer - that's all I'm sayin'...

Having just seen a 356 go endo in the same place I at least had the wheels straight and the brakes on. Big fly-through-the-air over the berm and landed flat in the catch basin on the other side. broke the left ball joint, bent the A-Arm, bent the strut, rumpled the lower trunk-to-inner fenderwell seam - all fixed.

Another 914 tried it the next day and did not fare as well. It was a prepped /4 on race tires and I think he was going faster at the end.
orange914

Jumping cars is movie crap. You shoulda watched the Mythbusters rerun last night. They debunked the "running through a locked chain link gate" action sequence,
The Cap'n

my brain dead bro in law attempted the chain thing years ago with a 74 torino. interesting how the chain won

mike
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Rand @ Jan 12 2010, 05:38 PM) *

The Subarus stay amazingly flat. There are a ton of rally photos with crazy air. Then there's the crazy Ken Block stuff.

IPB Image

They're not dropping 'em 4000 feet ............................ Actually, the first ones they dropped were only 400 feet, and they were auguring in very nicely.

The Cap'n
flipb
Part of my normal joyride route includes a road with two consecutive drop-offs. Speed limit is 35, I like to take them at around 55 and you really feel the bottom drop out. Been wondering how fast I'd have to go to get a little air, but I'm not going to find out. It's a relatively blind drop-off just as the road starts to curve. (That is, if I got airborne, I'd land in the oncoming lane.)
Katmanken
Unh-Uh

No jumpin fer me....

In every hollywood movie where a car went airborne- say off a cliff.....

It exploded in a ball of fire when it hit.....

Every time so it must be true....

Course the local cop that went airborne a month or so ago finally came outa his coma and is only partially brain damaged.....

The experts pegged him at 115 mph on his way to a call...

And for some reason his car didn't go boom....
RoadGlue
Am I the only one here that's gotten fours wheel air in their 914? Did it a long time ago, crazy little Sonoma County backroad with a lot of consecutive *humps*. I took one of them too hot and got up in the air. Things were quiet for a a split second and then BAM! Came down a little sideways too, as the hump was on a slight dog-leg left turn. Car was fine, we were fine... Not one of my finer moments and I shake my head every time I pass up that corner.

Pretty sure Dug Wright got air on the RoadGlue Bovine Bash tour when he was trying to keep up with Brad Roberts.

*knock on wood* but I'm glad we're all still here and are able to share these stories!
914junkie

IPB Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Zx4hT-mrs
Anybody catch Travis Pastrana's record jump? Check it out.
Rand
Nice. Also search Youtube for Ken Block and enjoy the show.
plymouth37
When I was living in Vegas I got surprised by a humped railroad crossing on a back road while going about 75 (I think the speed limit was 35), can't say for sure if she flew or not but things got pretty light for a bit...
bdstone914
When I actually had a running 914 in 1987 I was coming down hill on Lytle Creek road through a series of humps and got airborne on the third hump with three adults in the car. Fun. Then they repaved the road and smoothed out the humps
Bruce
buhs914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 12 2010, 11:40 PM) *

When I actually had a running 914 in 1987 I was coming down hill on Lytle Creek road through a series of humps and got airborne on the third hump with three adults in the car. Fun. Then they repaved the road and smoothed out the humps
Bruce

Sounds familiar blink.gif

QUOTE(Sleepin @ Jan 12 2010, 12:24 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif
carr914
I know that a Honda S-2000 flies. I went Dukes of Hazard a couple of years ago and ended up in the middle of a lake.

T.C.
6freak
QUOTE(914junkie @ Jan 12 2010, 10:13 PM) *

IPB Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Zx4hT-mrs
Anybody catch Travis Pastrana's record jump? Check it out.

Yes !!! that was nuts ...first guy to do a back flip in a trophy truck as well ...any landing you walk away from is a good landing..and the first guy to double back flip a motorcycle
aircooledtechguy
In '83 (when The Dukes Of Hazard was a prime time show rolleyes.gif ) My best friend and I jumped his parents '68 Chrysler 300 (w/ 440 and posi) over a banked 3 lane hwy from an intersecting road. . . That boat landed totally flat and drove out nice. We got sooooo lucky. His dad would have KILLED us if he had ever found out about that. . . The lesson learned: NEVER give a kid a fast car lol-2.gif
underthetire
I've got plenty of my 4 wheelers airborne, Just not the teener. Just like the dirt bike, stay on the gas, it helps.
ClayPerrine
My question is....

Why the hell would you want to ??? WTF.gif

They drive better with all 4 wheels on the road. driving.gif
dflesburg
had a couple women try to jump me in mine, does that count?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Jan 13 2010, 01:18 PM) *

had a couple women try to jump me in mine, does that count?

Only with the top OFF!!!! biggrin.gif piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif
Mr.242
I jumped my 914 right up onto jackstands and the hang time is way tooooo long!
huh.gif

I use to jump my old Chevy 4x4 in the wheat fields of E. Wa. when in High School. Easy take offs and easy landings.....

Then one day a few years ago during hunting I had my F-350 crew cab powerstroke flying across a wheat field. I missed the terrace (large bump to prevent errosion). I jumped the F350 and I will tell you....it's not meant to fly either!

BAM! OUCH! 4wheeler half out of the bed and some damage later........ chair.gif

Jumping is NOT good! It breaks stromberg.gif

But I do have experience if someone wants me to jump their 914! aktion035.gif
SLITS
And the Darwin Award goes to ...............................!
underthetire
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 13 2010, 11:14 AM) *

My question is....

Why the hell would you want to ??? WTF.gif

They drive better with all 4 wheels on the road. driving.gif

Something tells me you have lifted at least one wheel off the ground biggrin.gif
7TPorsh
C'mon Guys! We have all jumped our 914s.... biggrin.gif
Click to view attachment
moggy
I've been airbourne so many times in my '14 I've got enough airmiles to fly me to Australia (and BACK!). I can say from experience they fly very well.

Here's the few times that someone was there with a camera.

IPB Image

This one has some photoshop scars but only to remove the photographers watermark, the photo's real.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Enjoy!
naro914
sweet! Really rallying a 914!! I never found stability when going airborne...hence the wreck...
Rand
Awesome shots moggy! smilie_pokal.gif
Katmanken
Hey Moggy,

Yer front sway bar is unattached on the drivers side...

Flight damage?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.