Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Member Hello and Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flat4tom
Hello all,

Well, alot has changed since I last had a 914 - there was only one website, now there's two. I seemed to have missed out on that drama...anyway, this is my first post to this website. Funny story, I sold my 914 about 5 years ago to pay some bills off...bummer. About a month ago I got a really bad itch for a 914 again...

After looking for several weeks, and not really finding anything in my price range that was in a condition I would buy...my wife suggests, "why don't you contact the guy who bought yours and see if he still has it and would be interested in selling it back to you?". I thought OK I really loved that 914, I still have his email address so I shot off an email asking about it. To my surprise he replied! He did still have the car, it has not been driven in two years because he could not get the front hood open and it developed a fuel leak up front...and wait for it...

Yes, he would like to sell it, and would sell it cheap to get it out of his garage! driving.gif

One thing led to another, we made a deal, and I'm picking up my old 914 from him this weekend!! Even though it does not run, I'm excited to see it again. I know with some help from here, I can get her running again. He said that it was in the same basic condition it was in (really nice!) when he bought it from me but that he underestimated what it would take to maintain the car. He'd only driven it about 1K miles the whole time he had owned it.

So, here's my first problem. The front hood release handle. In speaking with him he told me that he had been fiddling with the front hood release handle lock - which I never was able to get to lock - well, he got it to lock, but then he could not get it to unlock!! Crap! He then told me that he proceeded to drill the lock out of the handle. ar15.gif He can not get the handle to pull out.

So, I need to replace this whole assembly. How do I get this handle apart and get the hood open? I know I can remove the front bumper to get the hood open that way, but I need to replace the handle he has drilled out. How does this assembly come apart so I can replace it??

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Tom
ClayPerrine
Once you get the front trunk open, you can remove the handle assembly by taking out the bolts that hold it in. They are under the air tubes. Look for 2 allen head bolts. Once they are out, the handle and it's housing fall out and you have to pull the cable out of the tube.

Make sure you disconnect the cable from the latch. Replace with a new handle assembly keyed to match your keys.

rick 918-S
I have the answer for this. Ok, Remove the outer bumper bolts from the inside of the wheel wells, pop out the little rubber/plastic plug. Look through the hole. Insert a scew driver and POP! Then disconnect the cable and inbolt the handle from under the dash. welcome.png

Oh, BTW: I stole this photo from Paul off his suby conversion photo link. Thanks Paul!
Betty
welcome.png

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

That is incredible that you got your same car back! Congratulations!!! smilie_pokal.gif
flat4tom
Thanks for the welcome and replies everyone.

Thanks Clay and Rick. I know what to do now to get the hood open. The car does have a fiberglass 916 front bumper, but I'm sure it's attached the same as the stock bumper. I've never had to take the bumper off when I originally owned it. No, it's not been bonded or blended into the body.

Hey Rick-S - Good to hear from you. I remember reading your build posts back when you were building your 'Alien' and trying to get it to the first WCC. 928 powered 914...What a cool car you have there!

Thanks Betty - yeah, I think it's pretty cool that I'm getting it back too - I'm having a hard time waiting until Sunday when I pick it up!

After I get the hood open, I'll post a question or two about gas tank removal and fuel line replacement....stay tuned!

Because thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif attached is a pic of my 914 when I owned it.

Regards,
Tom

IPB Image

76-914
welcome.png The fuel tank questions are in the classic thread here or Pelican parts threads. I also read one members article on re keying that addresses all your questions re: removal of the trunk handle. Can't remember who/where. I'm a big help! PS. there are more than 2 sites. Pelican parts, Rennlist, Clubnarp, etc, etc...............
buhs914
QUOTE(flat4tom @ Jan 14 2010, 10:35 AM) *

Thanks for the welcome and replies everyone.

Thanks Clay and Rick. I know what to do now to get the hood open. The car does have a fiberglass 916 front bumper, but I'm sure it's attached the same as the stock bumper. I've never had to take the bumper off when I originally owned it. No, it's not been bonded or blended into the body.

Hey Rick-S - Good to hear from you. I remember reading your build posts back when you were building your 'Alien' and trying to get it to the first WCC. 928 powered 914...What a cool car you have there!

Thanks Betty - yeah, I think it's pretty cool that I'm getting it back too - I'm having a hard time waiting until Sunday when I pick it up!

After I get the hood open, I'll post a question or two about gas tank removal and fuel line replacement....stay tuned!

Because thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif attached is a pic of my 914 when I owned it.

Regards,
Tom

IPB Image

I like the look of that front bumper you got!! It looks like an overall sweet ride! hope you solve your issue!
rick 918-S
When you gettin that car home? monkeydance.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.