Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Tranny Lift ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Hinds
Each time I've "pulled the engine and trans, I've lowered the car as much as possible with the wheels removed and unbolted the mounts with so it all sits on a dolly. Then raise the car and slide the mass out.

Harbor Freight has a motorcycle lift on sale. Has anyone used one of these for this process? If it could be rigged, it seems it would take a lot of work out of the jacking, and allignment issues.

B
wayne1234
I bought a transmission jack from Harbor freight and it worked out great... I aloo had done a dodge tranny at the time so the cost was justified,,, I think it was $130 tilts side to side forward and back and is hydraulic...
Shade Tree
I use one of those to move my engine around on sometimes and to align the tranny with the engine when I'm putting them back together. I use a tranny jack to remove them from the car and to put them back in. The reason is the tranny jack has an adjustable table that you can tilt if your car isn't level. I drive the rear up on ramps so there is a serious angle. It's not an issue with a tranny jack. Also, that HF atv jack is kind of a POS. It's super heavy for it's size, It doesn't lift straight up. As you lift it, the table comes back towards you. You have to keep adjusting it's position on the floor constantly to keep the engine in line.
SirAndy
I always get her rear end up in the air and balance the combo on a single floor jack and roll it out the back.
Has worked for me for both the /4 and the /6 engines. smash.gif

I (Well McMark actually) did make a small wood plate to match the bottom of the 3.6L engine to spread the load better.
bye1.gif Andy

EdwardBlume
I do the same as Andy. i use large 10 x 10s under the rear wheels and get the car way up in the air. I've pulled about 6 engines this way, and have always felt good about it...
iamchappy
I use a hydraulic lift table, i dont bother with the other ways anymore...
bandjoey
I bought the HF hydraulic lift table, and it worked great because it's really big. Only problem was that I had to take off the jacking handle and make an extension. It points up into the motor and is only about 8" long - designed for foot action, and with no leverage, I couldn't move it up and down.

I haven't tried the motorcycle lift, but thought if the rear of that platform was cut free, and the front reattached with pivot bolts to keep everything level, it'd be a quick lift for the motor and the side of the car. I didn't like the tilt that a motor or car would encounter with the fixed flat lift that it comes with.

jmmotorsports
I use a lift table also. It has no problem lifting my V8 and trans. Keeps everything stable and easy to lift into place.

Jerry
oldschool
I need to remove my motor real soon here what does a table lift look like and were can I get one? and photos?
J P Stein
I use the HF ATV life & some home made fixturing. Pull or install a motor/trans
by my self if no help is available.....not a safe as with a buddy, but easy.
burton73
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jan 16 2010, 07:19 AM) *

I use the HF ATV life & some home made fixturing. Pull or install a motor/trans
by my self if no help is available.....not a safe as with a buddy, but easy.

Harbor Freight has this different unit for $179. The red one above is $100. I am thinking this may work well for a V8 if rails are put on it to hold the engine cross bar and you lengthen it to balance the trans. The pump action would be at the back and clear the car. Lightweight Aluminum Motorcycle Lift. The pad is 12 inches long so the open area is around 12 inches.

Quickly perform routine maintenance the easy way.

* 1500 lb. maximum lift capacity
* 4-1/2" minimum, 19" maximum height (with extensions)
* Lightweight 46 lbs.
* Extra wide base for stability
* Rubber grip pads protect motorcycle frame

idea.gif

Bob Burton

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdi...submit2=find+it idea.gif
iamchappy
They look like this, and you can raise them to work on your engine. EASY! NOTHING simpler.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.