Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 47 build thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
scotty b
I pickep up Jim's car last weekend and got started on it today. Car will be pretty much stock. For right now I will be taking care of the metal work, after that is done I will either continue on with the body and paint, or Jim will take it back and do some of that himself. Any way, here we go smile.gif
scotty b
We need a sanding smilie idea.gif
scotty b
Here is where it gets interesting. Hell hole is expected. The trunk is the interesting area. I noticed this corner and pointed it out to Jim when I picked it up. Warning him it COULD get ugly. Well what I found is some ugly and it is so, because the WHOLE quarter has been replaced in the past. Inner trunk damage was no fixed very well, but will be now:)
scotty b
We need a painting smilie too. But for right now this one should do the job

barf.gif

scotty b
At this point I am still thinking the rear corner was just hit and poorly fixed. The I started stripping the paint on the quarter panel to see how much mud and damage there was undere the paint. NOW I realized what was going on. As I stripped the panel was flexing A LOT, so I look inside and find no brace. AH HA !! My next move was to go directly to the door threshold and remove the cover plate and see what lies under it. BINGO, next stop, top of the sail panel !! Obvious by now what had happened smash.gif
scotty b
Shot inside
scotty b
This is most of the bondo I removed from the trunk corner. All the pics for now. I need to make sure Jim wants to proceed unsure.gif
zymurgist
Is this car "Babydoll II" or is this a car I haven't seen before?
914Sixer
I sure hope the car was free or under $500. Would have gone to the scrapper here.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 19 2010, 09:18 AM) *

I sure hope the car was free or under $500. Would have gone to the scrapper here.

You desert staters just don't have a clue about what us East Coasters have to contend with re: old cars.

Stuff you guys scrap should be shipped east for us to pick over.

Zach
zymurgist
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 19 2010, 09:36 AM) *

agree.gif agree.gif agree.gif
stepuptotheMike
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 18 2010, 07:53 PM) *

This is most of the bondo I removed from the trunk corner. All the pics for now. I need to make sure Jim wants to proceed unsure.gif

What a great CD. party.gif

Mike
type47
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jan 19 2010, 05:49 AM) *

You haven't seen this car in person but may have seen it for sale here. I "needed" a roller and my heart out shouted by head. Thankfully, root gave me a job to pay for the restoration. I'm looking forward to seeing this done right!
siverson
That actually doesn't look too bad compared to some of the other cars I've seen here.
zymurgist
QUOTE(type47 @ Jan 19 2010, 10:56 AM) *

QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jan 19 2010, 05:49 AM) *

You haven't seen this car in person but may have seen it for sale here. I "needed" a roller and my heart out shouted by head. Thankfully, root gave me a job to pay for the restoration. I'm looking forward to seeing this done right!

Nice! I was thinking this wasn't Babydoll II, since that car seems to be complete... IIRC you drove it to the ECC.

I wish Babydoll could get this kind of treatment, but as long as Caroline owns the car, she'll never get approval to spend any money on it. Pity, that. I suspect this roller is actually better than Babydoll, judging by the floor pans.
Dr Evil
That is not bad at all for an East coast car. It will be done perfectly smile.gif
type47
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jan 19 2010, 08:12 AM) *

I wish Babydoll could get this kind of treatment,

Yes, she needs to send it to scotty b. Sorry, but I think I got the last of the jobs root was offering rolleyes.gif .
RoadGlue
Great Ministry CD. smile.gif
FourBlades

I have to agree that overall that car looks pretty solid.

That is just average to not bad 914 rust.

John
scotty b
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jan 19 2010, 04:50 PM) *

Great Ministry CD. smile.gif

lol-2.gif I was wondering who here might pick up on that. Looks like you and Mike win smilie_pokal.gif
Elliot Cannon
Looks like a lot of work on Jims' car. Looks like Jims' car is in capable hands. sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif So. Who is Jim?? biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
Jim is Type47. Was it really that cryptic blink.gif
RJMII
I was about to ask what Type 47 is; thinking it was a rare 914 like the LE.

All of these cryptic messages; why can't people just be open and straight forward? lol-2.gif

And, ScottyB is doing the build, so I HAD to look. He always has some of the best pics and work.
scotty b
Had a fubard week and didn't get a whole lot of time on Jims car, but I did get it to a stopping point until the new panels arrive aktion035.gif
scotty b
Note the layer of rust scale inbetween the 2 layers of metal. This whoile area of the long is like that barf.gif
scotty b
If anyone has a car they are cutting up I need the rear pass corner inbtween the taped off spots. I have no concern about the outer panel, but the inner section and taillight area is what I am concerned with. Contact me or Jim if you have this part please smile.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 19 2010, 06:36 AM) *

We tried that a few years ago. Tons of people said it was a great idea, practically none actually put down a deposit to get a shell delivered.

--DD
jimkelly
how does a mechanics lean work - should a shop hold on to the title when doing big work to a car - to ensure if payments are not made that the shop has a title to allow them to sell the car if customer does not pay?

ghuff
AHhh yes. I dug the cardboard and body glue patch out of the hell hole in Jim's driveway.

Yes someone actually went that far.........
Dr Evil
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 3 2010, 03:02 PM) *

how does a mechanics lean work - should a shop hold on to the title when doing big work to a car - to ensure if payments are not made that the shop has a title to allow them to sell the car if customer does not pay?

No need for a title. Mechanics just file a lean at the DMV.
type47
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 3 2010, 12:02 PM) *

should a shop hold on to the title when doing big work to a car - to ensure if payments are not made that the shop has a title to allow them to sell the car if customer does not pay?

Whoa! Rod gave me a job so I'm good for the cost of the restoration idea.gif ... just kidding and while we're kidding, let's not get Jim and Jim mixed up, the car scotty b is restoring is Jim's not Jim's white car rolleyes.gif shades.gif
jimkelly
what - scotty found no secretly hidden structural cardboard in your 914? : )

i still swear that it is OEM : )))) but ghuff was not buying it : ))))

i look forward to the day i can send one of my rides to scott-t-b

for now - looking forward to progress pics

tat2dphreak
that's not even as bad a some tx cars. totally doable and in VERY capable hands.

We tried that a few years ago. Tons of people said it was a great idea, practically none actually put down a deposit to get a shell delivered.

I remember that, DD. I was surprised, and disappointed. but I already had a roller. I remember one person even offering delivery for a very reasonable fee.
Dr Evil
I remember it, too. Someday I will have some land off the grid that I can store semi rust free rollers on, under cover smile.gif Then I can sell them one at a time instead of waiting on a group (like herding cats)
ghuff
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 3 2010, 02:00 PM) *

what - scotty found no secretly hidden structural cardboard in your 914? : )

i still swear that it is OEM : )))) but ghuff was not buying it : ))))

i look forward to the day i can send one of my rides to scott-t-b

for now - looking forward to progress pics

I am confused, you guys and your names smile.gif

So this is not the delaware white car owned by Jim Kelly of Delaware since there are two Jim Kelly's on this board? It looks just like it.

Argh. Brain meltdown!
bandjoey
Try the rear clip from the Limo??
jimkelly
jim k formerly of northern va - now in delaware

jim m currently in northern va and has it 914 with scott-t-b

jim kelly is upper north east - is the metal man

i too am confused - i thought my car was getting worked on by scott-t-b : ((((
scotty b
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 3 2010, 03:45 PM) *

jim k formerly of northern va - now in delaware

jim m currently in northern va and has it 914 with scott-t-b

EDIT JOHN kelly is upper north east - is the metal man

i too am confused - i thought my car was getting worked on by scott-t-b : ((((

Now back to yer regulary scheduled programming
scotty b
barf.gif
scotty b
Had a little fitment issue with the inner wheelhouse, so I will give it a light coat of bondo to get rid of the seam dry.gif
mepstein
Scotty - How many hours will it take you to repair this car - rough guess?
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 4 2010, 06:14 PM) *

Scotty - How many hours will it take you to repair this car - rough guess?

Rust repair alone will be pushing 40 hours. I have somewhere near 30 in it alreadyand still need to replace the quarter, and finish the rear trunk. After that Jim wants the engine bay and trunks painted and then I will probably do the body and paint on the whole car. We will see where we are, once the initial metal and trunk work is done. Time after the metal repair will depend on what Jim wants to do with the body.
jimkelly
where is the replacement metal coming from?

http://restoration-design.com/

lovin the look of freshly painted fresh metal repairs : )

jim
scotty b
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Feb 4 2010, 07:02 PM) *

where is the replacement metal coming from?

http://restoration-design.com/

lovin the look of freshly painted fresh metal repairs : )

jim

Yup, Restoration design provided they new panels smile.gif
scotty b
drunk.gif .
jimkelly
finally ....................... ready for paint ........................ sweet : )
Dr Evil
Do all of those lumps/bumps get mudded?
Katmanken
Scotty,

Yer good, which means minimal bondo

And you make it look sooooo easy.

Ken
jimkelly
post #11 has me rethinking inner long stiffeners for a street car.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=103714

like these - any thoughts?

http://engmanparts.com/innerlong.php
zymurgist
I think that one would want the front and rear compartments to crumple, and the longs (which are part of the passenger compartment) to be as sturdy as possible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.