Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got a new toy. tool.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
RJMII
For Christmas I scored a Jet Hobby Mill to go with all of my stepper motors and CAD-CAM software and 3-d scanner.

I still need to get the correct collet and end mills; but I'm quite excited to get started machining some parts.

Does anyone have a 914 emblem I can borrow? Someone was wanting a 914-8 machined, and I need a 914 to scan and model to get to cutting out some aluminum parts.

Also; does anyone have an R/C 914 setup? I'm planning on machining the Fuchs wheels out of aluminum and need someone to help me out with getting the offset and diameter just right.

I'm also thinking of machining a 914-World emblem for the backs of our cars out of aluminum. If I do go for that, I'll snail one off to Eric first, get his opinion and stamp of approval.

I've been studying online all of this stuff on CNC and machining and am quite excited to actually get going with some 'on hands' stuff!

Any other suggestions, for things to carve out of some aluminum?
Dr Evil
Oooo, something else to want smile.gif

popcorn[1].gif
rick 918-S
I will send you these wheels after the Build Off. I'm going to bring it to the Build Off for AX compitition. These are the closest I could find to Fuch wheels.

Oh! and I have another project for you. Brass 918-S script for my tail light panel.

And I need an aluminum plaque made for the Shealey.
rick 918-S
I will send you these wheels after the Build Off. I'm going to bring it to the Build Off for AX compitition. These are the closest I could find to Fuch wheels.

Oh! and I have another project for you. Brass 918-S script for my tail light panel.

And I need an aluminum plaque made for the Shealey.
underthetire
Thats a cute little mill ! I like it.
underthetire
[quote name='RJMII' date='Jan 20 2010, 07:29 PM' post='1264021']
For Christmas I scored a Jet Hobby Mill to go with all of my stepper motors and CAD-CAM software and 3-d scanner.

I still need to get the correct collet and end mills; but I'm quite excited to get started machining some parts.

What collets do you need? R-8 MT, ER. I have 30 Cat50 holders in my dining room right now. I may have what you need. ( I know its not a CT machine, and the 50 taper is bigger than the whole head on that!) And I MAY have some end mills left in my old machinist box. Let me know.

RJMII
ooh oooh... awesome; thank you for all of the help, guys!

Rick, same font as normal 914 emblems? And thanks for the wheel set loan! Are they a good offset? We'll have much closer than that by the time I get done playing. biggrin.gif

Mr. underthetire; This mill takes MT2 style stuff. It's definitely small!
I'd like a few different shapes to get started with on the end mills. A ball headed one or two, a corner rounder or two, and then square nosed. I can adapt spindle speed to number of flutes and materials.

I think I need hold down clamps as well. I haven't had a chance to check it all out yet. it showed up an hour before I went into surgery, and my dad unpacked it and set it up in his shop for me. He sent me that particular pic as well. I haven't even plugged it in yet. My excitement is growing. biggrin.gif thanks again!
oldschool
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jan 20 2010, 10:33 PM) *

Rick, same font as normal 914 emblems? And thanks for the wheel set loan! Are they a good offset? We'll have much closer than that by the time I get done playing. biggrin.gif

I'd like a few different shapes to get started with on the end mills. A ball headed one or two, a corner rounder or two, and then square nosed. I can adapt spindle speed to number of flutes and materials.

I think I need hold down clamps as well. I haven't had a chance to check it all out yet. it showed up an hour before I went into surgery, and my dad unpacked it and set it up in his shop for me. He sent me that particular pic as well. I haven't even plugged it in yet. My excitement is growing. biggrin.gif thanks again!

very sweet dude I was thinking of getting a mill also ,just because I'm always making something more like things that I can use when I'm shooting.(camera) stuff But I never used one and don't know what to buy for (tools) or bits?
turboman808
WOW I want one now.
BKLA
I have an original 914 & 2.0 rear script off a '74 that I could let you borrow, in addition to a set of unmounted R/C wheels exactly like the ones Rick suggested. (as long as I'm second in line for R/C fuchs wheels - assuming you are first :wink:) I'll even ship them to you with a return box!

edit: email me and I can ship them out this weekend...

If you are going to CAD/CAM it how about having them scanned in 3D? I might know someone local with a 3D scanner?
Katmanken
Good luck with the scan.

So far I've tried it three times, and have been underwhemed.

Once with a point cloud on silicone gastric bands,

Once with white light on a really tiny steel part,

Once with x-rays on the tiny steel part.

It's sorta close and straight lines aren't always straight so you have to redraw/rebuild in 3-D CAD.

With the gastric bands I ended up using a grid pattern and a caliper, and cuting the parts in pieces to get the cross sections. That finally get it right.
BKLA
QUOTE(kwales @ Jan 21 2010, 08:45 AM) *

Good luck with the scan.

So far I've tried it three times, and have been underwhemed.

Once with a point cloud on silicone gastric bands,

Once with white light on a really tiny steel part,

Once with x-rays on the tiny steel part.

It's sorta close and straight lines aren't always straight so you have to redraw/rebuild in 3-D CAD.

With the gastric bands I ended up using a grid pattern and a caliper, and cuting the parts in pieces to get the cross sections. That finally get it right.

What kind of 3D scanner? Maker?
underthetire
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jan 20 2010, 10:33 PM) *

MT2 is not something I would have, my small tiny stuff is swiss collets. So, you want a ball mill, a chamfer tool, and a center cut. I would assume two flute for aluminum. I might have some 1/4 inch stuff, not sure if I have high speed steel. Most of my small stuff was carbide, and I would not use carbide until you figure out how rigid that machine/collet set up is. I'll take a gander tonight.
Katmanken
I think it was 3D Scanning.

It was a German system and they even sent our part to Germany and the system designers couldn't do it either.
brant
very cool christmas gift!

b
RJMII
I have an original Next Engine Scanner and a full size 16x7 Fuchs (a whole set of them, actually...) that I can scan.

For the scripts; the plan is to take a picture over head, straight on, and then trace around them with the vector pen tool, then export to a file that bobcad can import.
They are just 2D with rounded over edges... (and the area where the digits are held together is just another lower level of machining)
Bruce Hinds
Wow, you guys are awesome.
If you need the 914 emblem I can loan one to you, sounds like one is on the way though... please put me on the list for anything you make up regarding the
914-8
918S
or anything like that.
Thanks for your efforts on our behalf.
Bruce
RJMII
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 21 2010, 10:31 AM) *

MT2 is not something I would have, my small tiny stuff is swiss collets. So, you want a ball mill, a chamfer tool, and a center cut. I would assume two flute for aluminum. I might have some 1/4 inch stuff, not sure if I have high speed steel. Most of my small stuff was carbide, and I would not use carbide until you figure out how rigid that machine/collet set up is. I'll take a gander tonight.

Can you educatem me a little on the necessities of rigidity with the carbide bits? HSS vs carbide? Could I not still control spindle speed and plunge speed if the machine isn't stout enough to handle fast?

hmm.. yes. ball mill, chamfer tool, and center cut. =o) I think using those terms I might be able to find more bits for purchase from vendors as well. Thank you again!
rick 918-S
OK, sounds like you have a set of wheels coming. That's cool.

Yes, 918-S same font as the Porsche script. I would send you mine off my tail panel except I sent to another guy that was going to make me one from composite and cover it in gold leaf about 5 years ago... So, that's why I don't have a script on my tail panel.

PM me your address, I will send you a piece of brass for the 914 and a piece of aluminum with the info for the script for the Shealey.
burton73
QUOTE(Bruce Hinds @ Jan 21 2010, 11:24 AM) *

Wow, you guys are awesome.
If you need the 914 emblem I can loan one to you, sounds like one is on the way though... please put me on the list for anything you make up regarding the
914-8
918S
or anything like that.
Thanks for your efforts on our behalf.
Bruce

I would like a 914-8 Emblem as well. I think there are a few of Us.

Bob
underthetire
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jan 21 2010, 06:25 PM) *

QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 21 2010, 10:31 AM) *

Can you educatem me a little on the necessities of rigidity with the carbide bits? HSS vs carbide? Could I not still control spindle speed and plunge speed if the machine isn't stout enough to handle fast?

hmm.. yes. ball mill, chamfer tool, and center cut. =o) I think using those terms I might be able to find more bits for purchase from vendors as well. Thank you again!

Carbide is the worst thing in the world if the machine is not rigid enough. They will chip and break where HSS is more flexible and won't. Speed does not matter so much, although carbide should be run much faster than HSS. It's all in the spindle and slide manufacturing. Any lateral movement will cause you nothing but headaches with carbide. We see this a lot even on the large CNC's, a cheap Hurco for example will not cut anywhere near like a Mori Seiki, and the tool life is double on a Mori. We are talking machines in the 75K to 250K range though. Not exactly garage stuff. Although I do know where a good used Mori is for 12K, I just don't have enough garage !
Gint
I'd be happy just to have the mill! Nice Xmas gift!
type47fan
. . . like these . . . .
RJMII
QUOTE(type47fan @ Jan 22 2010, 07:57 PM) *

. . . like these . . . .

aktion035.gif

Yup.

If no one is making them anymore, I'm planning on giving it a shot. I haven't seen anyone making them, or answering the WTB ads in the Classifieds, so I'm going with the idea that I'm not stepping on anyones toes. If that's not the case, then please, let me know.
JRust
Ready & waiting for mine. If you want to market it on my website you are welcome too poke.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(JRust @ Jan 22 2010, 09:04 PM) *

Ready & waiting for mine. If you want to market it on my website you are welcome too poke.gif

That reminds me... I was actually wanting to talk to you about marketing stuff on your website. I've got a few parts to sell as well... and an idea to toss at you.

track me down elsewhere.
Mike Bellis
Sign me up for a 914-8 script too. Just let me know when they are available and how much.
Thanks,
Mike
Bruce Hinds
I want one too.....
B
burton73
As I said before that I want one as well.

Bob
Brodie
RJMII, I would be interested in seeing more pictures of your stepper motors hooked up to your mill. Also, what CAD/CAM package are you using?

There are a few ways to check your spindle to see if you are rigid enough to use carbide. Do you have a dial indicator and stand? If you do you can set the magnetic base on the table. Set the dial up to your tool installed in a collet. Spin the spindle by hand see how far out you are. Also push the spindle around with your hand and see if there is any sideway movement further up in the head. If your spindle is not "true" than precision machining can not be achieved very easily, and carbide will tend to chip or break on you.

Never put anything in a drill chuck except drills. No endmills, fly cutters, etc. Use collets for those. Speed and feed is very important to learn expecially running it CNC. The machine doesn't care if you are running or feeding too fast. It'll either break the tool or spit the part out at you. Which brings me to another point. Always secure your part to machine. Nothing will ruin your day or your life like having a chunk of steel fly out at you.

I don't know how much you know about machining, but I thought I'd throw these points out. Have fun with your mill. If you need help I will try my best to advise.
Smitty911
Well I've gone down the path you are traveling, it's not cheap by anyone standards.

I have the Harbor Frieght with Steppers, Mach 6 controlles, Gecko Stepper Controllers, 3 axis CNC. I'm in about $5,000 for my set up. I also have retrofitted a kit with ball Screws and zero backlash. Thanks to the extra $1,000 I spent. Add Alibre CAD/CAM for around $850. Some other small software issues and than you start hitting the money vein.

In retrospec I should have left mine Manual as I could make parts faster. But I make mostly one off fixtures for testing Cables.

RJMII
QUOTE(Brodie @ Jan 23 2010, 03:59 PM) *

RJMII, I would be interested in seeing more pictures of your stepper motors hooked up to your mill. Also, what CAD/CAM package are you using?

There are a few ways to check your spindle to see if you are rigid enough to use carbide. Do you have a dial indicator and stand? If you do you can set the magnetic base on the table. Set the dial up to your tool installed in a collet. Spin the spindle by hand see how far out you are. Also push the spindle around with your hand and see if there is any sideway movement further up in the head. If your spindle is not "true" than precision machining can not be achieved very easily, and carbide will tend to chip or break on you.

Never put anything in a drill chuck except drills. No endmills, fly cutters, etc. Use collets for those. Speed and feed is very important to learn expecially running it CNC. The machine doesn't care if you are running or feeding too fast. It'll either break the tool or spit the part out at you. Which brings me to another point. Always secure your part to machine. Nothing will ruin your day or your life like having a chunk of steel fly out at you.

I don't know how much you know about machining, but I thought I'd throw these points out. Have fun with your mill. If you need help I will try my best to advise.

Brodie; Thank you for the info! That is very much appreciated.

Right now it has a drill chuck setup. Tonight my uncle, my dad, my wife and I were playing around with a dremel bit and some pine. We made grooves. =o) The machine came with clamps and a quick vise, and we did indeed have the piece of wood secured to the mill.

It was quite fun! The machine seems quite sturdy for its size, and I'm looking forward to figuring out which parts I need to order next to set it up for milling.

The steppers are in storage still, and I was looking over the machine to see how to incorporate them into the whole equation.

I have bobCAD; I picked it up for $325 because I'm a hobby user and caught their latest ploy to sell software. Hopefully the software is as good as the guy that was selling it.
underthetire
Ok, was able to take a look to see what I had, most everything I have left is 1/2 " or bigger. Too big for that collet set up. My "special tooling guy" is gonna get me a couple 1/4" stuff. He can be a little slow on the free demo tooling, but i'll do what i can. beer.gif
nsr-jamie
Hi, that is one cute mill. I have never seen one so small. Here is a picture of the CNC mill I use at work.

If you do make some of those wheels I would be interested in a set, would they be for the correct size to work with the M-04 body?

One of my mills....its an Okuma
RJMII
Jamie, wow! That's HUGE! What do you make with that?

Yes; we're aiming for the m0-4 chassis. (I think... is that the chassis that the group buy for the bodies was? )
RJMII
QUOTE(underthetire @ Jan 23 2010, 09:07 PM) *

Ok, was able to take a look to see what I had, most everything I have left is 1/2 " or bigger. Too big for that collet set up. My "special tooling guy" is gonna get me a couple 1/4" stuff. He can be a little slow on the free demo tooling, but i'll do what i can. beer.gif

That is awesome! THANK YOU! It is very much appreciated. =o)
underthetire
Cool, I used to work for Okuma. We just bought 4 new Mori-Seiki mills. We have a bunch of newer Okuma lathes as well. Two of the Mori's we just bought are 1 micron accuracy machines over the entire travel. The other 2 are shop floor spec, the normal .0002 stuff over 40".

Can't figure out what model that is. Sure it's not an Okuma-Howa?
underthetire
Oh, and if you need any nice 50 taper tooling, let me know. I got a bunch of new old stock sitting in my dining room...

OOPS, never mind. I see your in Japan. I went there for training for Mori-Seiki back in 97. I was in Nagoya, Iga, and Nara.
wallys914
I want one as well....
underthetire
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jan 23 2010, 09:35 PM) *

Yes; we're aiming for the m0-4 chassis. (I think... is that the chassis that the group buy for the bodies was? )

HA, thats not huge. I've had to work on a couple of these. One is even a 5 axis head. What a PIA. ( I fix them, i don't run them anymore.)

http://www.mhimmt.com/MVR25.shtml

I can park 4 914's end to end and cut sunroofs in them. You could literally drive it on.
underthetire
Here is one of the machines we just got. Only the NVD6000, and a NVD4000, 20K rpm spindles. Just these two were 1/2 a million.
http://www.moriseiki.com/english/products/...1/nv_index.html
nsr-jamie
QUOTE(RJMII @ Jan 24 2010, 02:35 PM) *

Actually it looks big but is small compared to some of the others we have at work, I use this one the most, mostly mill and machine steel parts used for big progressive dies. I forgot the model name I think something like 50cv or something like that, its actually quite old and we bought it used around 10 years ago or so for 35,000 Dollars roughly. We have 5 other high end Okuma's that are for very detailed work and cost as much as a nice home. The Okuma machines are very easy to use with their OSP systems, none of that Fanuc stuff.
nsr-jamie
I most definetly want a set of those wheels when you get em milled up...yes for the group buy ones. I finally got a rolling chassis going now and will be painting my body soon but need some other parts too.
marks914
The 20 year old Jet mills we have at work just were updated last year. They are mobile units that we use to mill full size clay models. The clay flies about 8 ft in in the air now!
Mark
ClayPerrine
If you are going to make emblems, I would like to get a couple made.

One for my big motor... I need a 4.0 emblem for the back.

The other is for my taildragger. I want a 912-6 emblem.

I was going to buy a 914-6 emblem and a 2.0 emblem and do surgery, but this sounds like it will be much better.

Brodie
RJMII,

Bobcad is a fairly decent program. It'll serve you well. There are a few weird thing that you scratch your head as to why they did that. If you need help let me know. I've messed with bobcad V21, V22, and V23. Just let me know what version you have. It will do 2D work really good, and 3D work can be a challenge. They will call you a lot with upgrades. Hope you like telemarketing laugh.gif

Use some scraps of wood like you were to get use to it. Tools last a lot longer, material is cheaper, and if you accidently rapid into the wood the chance of breaking a tool is less.

Carry on RJMII doing machinist "stuff" can be fun!

We have emoticons for welding, barfing, and doing weird things with sheep. There really needs to be a mad machinist emoticons in there somewhere laugh.gif
94TEENV8
If you have CAD capability I can send you a file that I used to make my 914-8 emblem, if I can still find it. Let me know!!
Steve
RJMII
Steve; PM sent. Thank you very much!

BRODIE: I have version 20.6 and version 23. I was playing with 20 3 or 4 years ago while trying to build a router table. (dozen surgeries later I gave up on said router table, hence the smaller machine) and I decided that I'd upgrade to 23 at Christmas when I bought the mill. I saved bobCAD's number in my phone so each time they call I know it is them and I just hit the 'ignore' button. LOL Thank you again for all of the help!

Clay; I've got your request noted. =o)

Mark; Oh how I would like to come visit you at work and see the huge machines that carve clay cars. Those are the ones that got me interested in multi(3+)-axes CNC machines.

Jamie; It looked huge compared to my tiny mill; now it looks small. (and I noted that you would like the set of wheels when I get them figured out and carved)

Underthetire; I stand corrected. Thank you for the links! I had fun drooling over the REAL huge machines!
bdstone914
How about a 914S emblem just like the 911s had. I know technically a 2.0 914 isnt really an S, but it makes me feel special.
underthetire
QUOTE(marks914 @ Jan 24 2010, 05:59 AM) *

The 20 year old Jet mills we have at work just were updated last year. They are mobile units that we use to mill full size clay models. The clay flies about 8 ft in in the air now!
Mark

That soo much fun. I was a a shop that I installed a Horizontal line system in. 15,000 RPM CAT50 taper machines. 3 of them linked with a robot, and 80 pallets. They would fill up a 2 CU YD hopper every 20 minutes on each machine. Nothing beats high speed machining! Sounds like machine guns with the chips hitting the enclosures!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.