Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Muffler Bracket Hangers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Vysoc
Hello, I am hoping this is a fairly straight forward situation with a hanger that I do not have or just a simple fabrication of a couple of additional brackets. Last night while attempting to watch the 24 Hours of Daytona, we were installing my Stainless Heat Exchangers, several of the original Exhaust studs were broken and replaced but several were slightly offset when they were reinstalled. It was really a PIA getting things bolted back up due to the obvious clearance issues with the exhaust bolts. So when fitting up the muffler bracket on the transmission things are off as you can see in the pictures, heat exchangers hang down about 2 inches. Am I missing a hanger or should I just fabricate a couple of pieces of steel. The actual muffler lines up just fine to the six holes.

Thank you,
Vysoc sawzall-smiley.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Jan 31 2010, 11:15 AM) *

heat exchangers hang down about 2 inches

What size engine? Those look like 2.0L exchangers. The 1.7L/1.8L have a bend and go up about 2" ...

You'll need a 2.0L muffler hanger for those. If your muffler is a 1.7/1.8, it'll sit way too low with those, you'll have to get a 2.0L muffler as well.

shades.gif Andy
Vysoc

Engine is a 73 GA 2.0, I am replacing my 75 GC 2.0, Muffler Hanger is from the original 75 GC 2.0. Will the lower position cause interference with anything?

Thanks,
Vysoc
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Jan 31 2010, 12:58 PM) *

Engine is a 73 GA 2.0, I am replacing my 75 GC 2.0, Muffler Hanger is from the original 75 GC 2.0. Will the lower position cause interference with anything?

The '75/'76 exchangers and mufflers are a completely different system. When backdating, you need to get an early 2.0L hanger.

And you should get an early 2.0L muffler to match the new setup.
shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.