Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question regarding Shift linkage.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Ok, so my car is a 1970-4. Engine swap to a converted 2.0L with a side-shift trans.

I know for a successful conversion, you need the post-73 shift bushing which you basically pop/muscle in to the old linkage output hole, as well as the later style engine bar.

Here lies my question. Can I simply buy a later style (post-73) shift linkage and connect it up? Or do I take the original linkage and modify it? OR do I need the later style linkage and modify that?

Thank you for helping the newbie. slap.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Feb 1 2010, 06:42 PM) *

Ok, so my car is a 1970-4. Engine swap to a converted 2.0L with a side-shift trans.

I know for a successful conversion, you need the post-73 shift bushing which you basically pop/muscle in to the old linkage output hole, as well as the later style engine bar.

Here lies my question. Can I simply buy a later style (post-73) shift linkage and connect it up? Or do I take the original linkage and modify it? OR do I need the later style linkage and modify that?

Thank you for helping the newbie. slap.gif

Think you need ALL the later stuff, and the special conversion bushing for the firewall. Even the gear shifter is different i think
raw1298
You will need evrything from the shifter back as well as the conversion bushing on the fire wall. The bushing is available through pelican parts. There was a list of needed parts here on the site somewhere. I am getting ready to do the same with mine.
'73-914kid
The linkage is easy enough to come by. If I decide to not use mine for a possible f-production race car project, you can have it..

-Ethan
SirAndy

I know for a successful conversion, you need the post-73 shift bushing which you basically pop/muscle in to the old linkage output hole

Nope. The 73 and later firewall shift bushing WILL NOT fit in your car.

However, the aftermarket conversion bushing made specifically for this purpose does ...
shades.gif Andy
RiqueMar
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 1 2010, 07:40 PM) *

I know for a successful conversion, you need the post-73 shift bushing which you basically pop/muscle in to the old linkage output hole

Nope. The 73 and later firewall shift bushing WILL NOT fit in your car.

However, the aftermarket conversion bushing made specifically for this purpose does ...
shades.gif Andy

Thanks Andy, but as always, I got the 2 mixed up. The conversion bushing is what I bought off of Pelican. Its the white one in this picture....

IPB Image

Ok, so my list is.....
-Side-Shift trans
-Post 73 Engine Bar
-Conversion bushing
-Post 73 linkage
-Post 73' shifter? <------ ? How will I know a shifter is a late style?
Cap'n Krusty
You will also need the engine mount brackets on the engine itself, the rubber mounts that connect it to the crossbar, the bar itself, and the end pieces where the crossbar mounts to the body. The late shifter doesn't have a ball and bushing on the bottom, it has a clamping sleeve that attaches to the front shift rod. This clamp is also the adjustment point.

The Cap'n
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 2 2010, 09:06 AM) *

You will also need the engine mount brackets on the engine itself, the rubber mounts that connect it to the crossbar, the bar itself, and the end pieces where the crossbar mounts to the body. The late shifter doesn't have a ball and bushing on the bottom, it has a clamping sleeve that attaches to the front shift rod. This clamp is also the adjustment point.

The Cap'n

Thanks Cap'n. I'm kinda there already as the engine is mounted, if I'm not mistaken, this picture shows it all....

IPB Image

I think I'm just going to take the easy way out on this one and purchase the shift linkage...

Is this the type of shifter you are referring to?

IPB Image

McMark
That is a side-shifter gear selector.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 2 2010, 12:13 PM) *

That is a side-shifter gear selector.

Awesome. Now, having established that, I have another. Can I simply take of the clamp and pop it on a different shifter of better condition?
rhodyguy
yes.
Zardozz
Just so I'm clear. ALL the shift linkage has to be changed when going with a side shift trans? From the shifter back?
McMark
Can I simply take of the clamp and pop it on a different shifter of better condition?
Yes, as long as it's another late shifter. Early shifters have a ball on the end.

Bill, yes, no part of the shift rod is the same.
Zardozz
Well craps, no wonder it's so sloppy.

Ya know, the girlfriend asked once when it was going to be done....

HAHAHAHHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.