Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sixer resto
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tonyiz
I got my car home and have started the labor intensive/expensive task of restoration.

I plan on draining the old oil out and saturating the case and cylinders with fresh oil.

Rotate tire in gear to verify not seized.

It'll probably sit like that for a month or two while I go thru car attacking rust preventing further damage, clean out tank, replace fuel lines, filter, repair shift linkage and verify integrity of electronics.

Drain/replace oil again and go for it!

This is my plan of attack before sending off for body restoration. Any advice on my 1st attempt at engine starting would be appreciated.

underthetire
QUOTE(Tonyiz @ Feb 4 2010, 03:39 PM) *

I got my car home and have started the labor intensive/expensive task of restoration.

I plan on draining the old oil out and saturating the case and cylinders with fresh oil.

It'll probably sit like that for a month or two while I go thru car attacking rust preventing further damage, clean out tank, replace fuel lines, filter, repair shift linkage and verify integrity of electronics.

This is my plan of attack before sending off for body restoration. Any advice on my 1st attempt at engine starting would be appreciated.

A little ATF down the spark plug holes won't hurt.
Tonyiz
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 4 2010, 05:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Tonyiz @ Feb 4 2010, 03:39 PM) *

A little ATF down the spark plug holes won't hurt.

I was going to put some oil, blaster, or mystery oil in there. ATF?
underthetire
ATF is cheap and has a lot of detergent, and is thin. Use what makes you feel good. biggrin.gif
Tonyiz
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 4 2010, 05:51 PM) *

ATF is cheap and has a lot of detergent, and is thin. Use what makes you feel good. biggrin.gif

Open to suggestions I'm just not familiar with it. Does the ATF stand for something or is that the name of it? Also as a detergent does it help then become corrosive if left in for to long?
underthetire
Automatic Transmission Fluid

And no.
Tonyiz
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 4 2010, 05:59 PM) *

Automatic Transmission Fluid

And no.

LMAO!!!! OH! DUH!

I figured it probably wasn't "Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms".

Thanks!
IronHillRestorations
Jake Raby swears by Marvel Mystery Oil. I've used it as a top end lube as well with good results.
Tonyiz
QUOTE(9146986 @ Feb 4 2010, 06:57 PM) *

Jake Raby swears by Marvel Mystery Oil. I've used it as a top end lube as well with good results.

Since I have some of that already I'll give that a try then. Should I saturate or will a lil dab do it? I'm also sure that there may be a tad bit of water there.
914Sixer
Marvel Mystery Oil in liberal doses.
Tonyiz
Thanks!
underthetire
Marvel is good, use plenty. The mystery is its mostly ATF. I would also run marvel or ATF at least one qt in the sump with cheap oil and run it till the motor comes up to temp. Then change it will real oil.
6freak
Pictures of the car please ,,,,vin # would be nice so we can tell what ya have ...good luck with your project beerchug.gif
Tonyiz
QUOTE(6freak @ Feb 4 2010, 11:12 PM) *

Pictures of the car please ,,,,vin # would be nice so we can tell what ya have ...good luck with your project beerchug.gif

You stalking me?.....LMAO!

Intro says sixer! LOL!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.