Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minimum wiring needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
damnfiknow
To check for oil leaks etc, I want to test run a 1.7 out of '73 model. Fuel pump no problem..just pos and neg from battery. To the starter, postive from battery and battery negative to transmission case. Distributor to coil wire and wires to plugs. What next? All I've got is distributor with one green wire dangling from it and postive and neg posts on coil. I'm not interested in tach/gauges etc. Help
aircooledtechguy
I'm going to guess that you have carbs??

Green wire from Dizzy - NEGATIVE side of coil
12V - POSITIVE side of coil
12V - to a light (any light) and have the negative connected to the oil pressure switch (it's kinda important to be able to verify that you have oil pressure).
12V from battery - the starter
NEGATIVE from battery - the trans case
You can use a screw driver to arc the starter solenoid into working and cranking the motor.

You don't need to hook up any of the charge system at all, Just be sure that the main power wire from the alt is covered in electrical tape so it won't accidentally arc.
Van
If you think you're going to use it more than once, you could mount some switches... I'm planning on doing a similar setup. I'm using a tach and oil pressure/temp gauges, so I'll have a toggle switches for: main power, fuel pump and ignition. And a momentary switch for the starter. I'll also have an indicator light for low oil pressure.
zymurgist
Vacca Rabite built a test stand. I'm sure he can provide details.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.