Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Race Car 914-4
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ozark 914
Hi all! This is my first post here on 914 world but I've been lurking for a while and learning as much about 914 chassis and suspension building as I could. There are a lot of very knowledgeable individuals here and I've learned a lot, thanks to those that take the time to share.

I've been into Porsches for years now and owned several early 911s, (have a '70 911E w/ 2.7 MFI currently) and a couple of 944s, but this is my first 914. Actually 914s plural. My brother-n-law and I bought 6 914 rollers and a trailerload of parts. Out of the 6 chassis we have two that are buildable. One will be a 914-4 race car, I've been itching for a track car for a few years now, and the other will be a 914-6 GT replica, street legal but I would love to do the Carrera Panamericana in a few years so it will be built for a rally of that type.

We got the race chassis onto the rotisserie tonight, and I'm stoked about that! It feels like this was a real milestone. We need to get the suspension off of there and then the entire car will be sandblasted, seam welded, and the roll cage and chassis stiffening installed.

The intention is to have the car running this summer and do some autocross and some track days to get the suspension & chassis sorted. Next year we hope to have the car ready for some wheel 2 wheel. We're basically building the car to PCA GT class regulations, but our local track has a "run what you brung" series that will probably be where the car sees the most action. We also plan to do some autocross, we're not that serious about racing to win, I just want to learn what I can, improve my driving, and PARTICIPATE every chance I get.

I've ordered some books on race car suspension and chassis, but have learned a wealth of informaiton from you guys. Within the next couple of weeks I will probably have some questions about suspension design - heim joints, raising rear suspension points, adding spherical bearings in the rear trailing arms, etc. - I'm not experienced with any of these type suspension mods.

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to learning all I can and contributing to the forum wherever possible!

Jason

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
6freak
good luck with your project welcome.png

Mr.C
EdwardBlume
welcome.png

Putting the car together right is a cool process... enjoy the ride!
J P Stein
Looks like you have the makin's....a shop & a hammer.
My only advice is don't confuse the T-4 with a Porsche engine.
URY914
I can't tell from the pictures but you need to put some braces across the door openings. With it supported on the far ends like it is, it is surely sagging in the middle.
ozark 914
Thanks for the tip URY - I'll brace them up asap. welder.gif

The longs are in really good condition but better safe than sorry.
SirAndy
QUOTE(URY914 @ Feb 7 2010, 09:45 AM) *

I can't tell from the pictures but you need to put some braces across the door openings. With it supported on the far ends like it is, it is surely sagging in the middle.

agree.gif

These two links may come in handy:

http://www.914world.com/specs/bodydims.php

http://www.914world.com/specs/underdims.php

bye1.gif Andy
jt914-6
Hey Ozark 914. Welcome to our world.....Pcar916 and I are here and hopefully close to you. I have a 3.0 six made for DE's and so does Pcar916 except he has a 3.6 in his. Feel free to contact either of us for questions or help. This site offers many others who can help with questions too. We're all here to help each other, so don't be afraid to ask questions......

Click to view attachment
pcar916
welcome.png Super job!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.