Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Trunk Torsion Bar Isuue.. Repairable? w/ Pic
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
detoxcowboy
Awhile back trying to fix a trunk issue and while removing the torsion bars one of the Torsion Bar Placement Holder bolts sheared off, currently using trunk shocks that I do not care for anymore.. I want to re-install the torsion bar system but need advice on repairing/replceing the sheared off bolt..

Click to view attachment
yeahmag
You have a couple options:

* Grind it down and weld a new stud on
* Use a nut-sert and new stud or bolt. I really love nut-serts...
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Feb 7 2010, 09:44 AM) *

You have a couple options:

* Grind it down and weld a new stud on
* Use a nut-sert and new stud or bolt. I really love nut-serts...

Thats what I need to here, Perfect! Thanjks Yeah Mag!!
bandjoey
Grind it down and drill through with a nut and bolt, if you're not a welder??
ps. why are you dropping the shocks? I was just considering buying a set to get rid of the torsion bars??
zx-niner
Just installed a set of the shocks from Camp 914. I'm very pleased with the look and function. Trunk operation is smooth and light. Removing the torsion bars also cleaned up the engine bay.

Click to view attachment
budman5201
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Feb 7 2010, 09:50 PM) *

Just installed a set of the shocks from Camp 914. I'm very pleased with the look and function. Trunk operation is smooth and light. Removing the torsion bars also cleaned up the engine bay.

Click to view attachment

I bet your roof doesnt fit in your trunk anymore...
Elliot Cannon
I have the Camp 914 trunk lid shocks on both trunks of both cars and they work great. Mine are mounted a little differently and the roof fits in the trunk perfectly.
dlo914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 7 2010, 11:58 PM) *

I have the Camp 914 trunk lid shocks on both trunks of both cars and they work great. Mine are mounted a little differently and the roof fits in the trunk perfectly.

Elliot, how do you have yours mounted differently to compensate for the targa top?
burton73
The instructions show it connected to the trunk hinge and then a cut on the body just a bit. 3 screws to the underside of the channel for the trunk seal.Click to view attachment
McMark
Yep, the red car pictured has them installed 'uniquely'. Following the instructions from Camp914 results in a setup that works without interfering with the targa top.
Rod
Yep, mine are installed like this, and the targa fits perfectly (even with that big box in there lol)

http://gallery.me.com/rodericdavies#100050...p;bgcolor=black
Elliot Cannon
Correct installation = easy roof stow. biggrin.gif
zx-niner
QUOTE(budman5201 @ Feb 7 2010, 09:24 PM) *

I bet your roof doesnt fit in your trunk anymore...

Yeah, it would be a bigger deal if I ever took the top off. I know it's heresy but open air driving is not my thing. If someone made a steel top conversion kit, or better yet did the conversions for a price, I would be so in on it.
Rand
Interesting different perspectives. I only put the top on if I need to keep precip out of the cabin.

I don't get all the Qs about the top fitting between the shox. It fits easily!! Oy. Just set it up right, there's plenty of room!
If you can't fit the top between the shox, you have a nasty hack job. I haven't seen one of those yet... Do they exist or are people making ASSumptions?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.