Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Nurburgring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeRud
Though this is somewhat off-topic, I am trying to find out if anyone has had the opportunity to drive (or be driven) around the Nurburgring in Germany. My wife and I may be able to take a trip to Germany in September, and besides doing some car museums, Oktoberfest, and visiting castles, driving or riding around the Nurburgring has always been on my "bucketlist". I know that driving a rental car on the Ring is a very bad idea, but has anyone been there or has any advice they could offer me. Buying a new, European delivery Porsche to drive in Europe is not an option (unless the lottery ticket is the right one - not very likely). The BMW Ring-Taxi doesn't have any tickets or dates available until April, so I can't really count on that as an option.

Thanks for any advice.
SirAndy
Why not the rental car?

€23 will get you a lap in about anything that moves. Evenings and Sundays only.
driving.gif Andy
Jaymann
nothing parties like a rental Jaymann
GeorgeRud
From my understanding of the rental car contracts over there, if you get spotted in your rental car on the Ring, it's a 2000 Euro upcharge on your rental fee, and the rental car companies supposedly do have people watching. I guess they learned from Hertz with the Ford GT350H program. Not a good idea to rent a racer over the weekend (it only got driven a 1/4 mile at a time, honest!). Otherwise, that would be the ideal solution.

Does our German contingent have any experience?
TonyAKAVW
I looke into this a year ago and apparently there are places around the ring that rent out cars for the purpose of going on the ring. Some are more prepard than others for track duty and you can rent everything from a Polo to a Laborghini. Cost is high though, a few hundred $ if I recall. But then again they fully expect you to drive it fast smile.gif

-Tony
DonTraver
I drove it a few years ago in a new Porsche 997S. It cost 75 Euros for 5 laps. The 997S was a Avis rental, since then they've put spotters at the track. You can drive to the track, but if you get caught on the track with their car, busted, it gets towed, and you're walking, not sure about the fine or even if there is one from them.

But every time I've gone back to Germany, the Avis guy makes it a point to tell me, No Nurburgring, lol.

There are rentals, BMW's, Renault (ugh), etc. Friend of mine rented a BMW, the tranny blew a couple of miles in, think the hit him with about a $500 fee for the tranny plus towing. Track got shut down shortly after that, some car blew it's oil all over the place by the start/finish. I think the cost then was about 70 Euro's for 4 laps. But since a lap is 14+miles, that's not bad.

It's a run what you brung (sp). You'll be on the track with everything, cars, race cars, motorcycles, etc. THERE ARE "NO" SAFETY CHECKS before going on track, Helmets are NOT required.

On my first lap, a GT3 tried to pass me in the middle of a chicane, idiot. I was going slow and letting everyone pass until I learned the track a bit. IIRC the Ring claims 4-5 deaths per year.

If you get the chance, go for it. It's a real rush

Here's a pic of the tires on the 997S after my last lap, yeeha. Also a pic of the ticket machine. All that's required is cash money and a set of wheels.

Andy's right about the times the track is open and there are parts of the track where the Sun will be dead staight in your eyes, go for it.

Good luck
Elliot Cannon
The insurance deductible for "Rent a Racer" is $10,000. You wreck the car, blow the engine etc. it's 10 grand out of your pocket. Good luck. Have fun.

Cheers, Elliot
snakemain
Drove it in 07 in my 02 M3. Definitely worth the cost of admission (20ish euro/lap). Got passed by almost everything and the clutch and brakes were pretty much shot by the 4th lap, but fun for sure. Know your limits and your car's limits, because insurance won't cover you, and you have to pay for towing and additional costs for lost track revenues if you shut it. But if you're careful, it's still a blast. There were a few places to rent cars, but didn't check the prices. People were pretty courteous drivers, so I wouldn't be overly worried about the a deductible as long as you're careful. We left the traction control on, but were still able to get 100+ and seriously shorten the life of a set of Michelin Pilot Sports. There was also a Viper and the notorious M5 Ring Taxi that you could get a ride in. Honestly, it's worth the trip just to see the cars there.
hcdmueller
Drove it in my 914 a couple years ago and I have had some professional drivers take me out on some seriously fast laps. Supposedly the vehicles out there are supposed to have a legal road registration. I saw a lot of race cars with headlights out there plus the normal cars, bikes, and the occasional tour bus. Most of the deaths at the track are motorcyclists. Usually a car helps them in some way, usually by dumping its fluids. There are no corner workers so its not like you get a warning. Some of my British friends keep trying to get me out there on my bike. I only live a couple hours away but can't bring myself to take my bike out.

I had no problem pushing the car without taking too many risks. Other people were not so restrained. The track gets closed pretty often so they can clean up messes. By September the weather is usually crap, especially in that part of Germany. The rain makes it that much more exciting. Get out there any way you can. The first time I went out 5 laps was over before I realized it. Even if you don't get to drive it the parking lot is full of cars you probably won't see anywhere else.
Elliot Cannon
The funniest thing I saw there was two fat rich guys in a brand new Bentley. It was a big 4 door sedan that must have weighed 6000 lbs. When they got back from their lap all four brakes were SMMMOKIN. They were both laughing their asses off. lol-2.gif Expensive fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.