Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where not to BUY
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
drew5785
Click to view attachment
I'm not sure if this has been posted before since I'm new to the site.
I've recently done alot of work to my 914, buying various different parts. I was recommended to the company AUTO ATLANTA. Seeing that they had a large list of parts in their catalog I decided to just go ahead and order everything.
Working with them has been the biggest mistake of my life and has made me decide that if this is how porsche companies are, this will be my first and last 914.
I've gotton the wrong parts, broken parts, double charged for parts, not sent parts, parts back ordered, and anything you can think of. They'll send things one at a time and charge shipping each time.
I had to call and straighten my order out several times, I even spoke with the owner who seemed to know less then the employees.
If you've bought from them and liked the service then power to you. But if your looking for parts stay far clear from them.
I bought parts to convert to a 914-6, and all they did was buy the parts from a place in AZ, then charge me shipping costs from GA and jacking up the price. I cant remember the name of the place in AZ, peterson something maybe.
Anyway this is my warning, cant say I didnt tell you.Click to view attachment
Ferg
Sorry you had to learn the hard way... Don't let that place discourage you from this site and these wonderful cars and people. beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
YUP six conversion parts maybe a little passionate but accurate.

QUOTE(drew5785 @ Feb 8 2010, 09:36 AM) *

Click to view attachment
I'm not sure if this has been posted before since I'm new to the site.
I've recently done alot of work to my 914, buying various different parts. I was recommended to the company AUTO ATLANTA. Seeing that they had a large list of parts in their catalog I decided to just go ahead and order everything.
Working with them has been the biggest mistake of my life and has made me decide that if this is how porsche companies are, this will be my first and last 914.
I've gotton the wrong parts, broken parts, double charged for parts, not sent parts, parts back ordered, and anything you can think of. They'll send things one at a time and charge shipping each time.
I had to call and straighten my order out several times, I even spoke with the owner who seemed to know less then the employees.
If you've bought from them and liked the service then power to you. But if your looking for parts stay far clear from them.
I bought parts to convert to a 914-6, and all they did was buy the parts from a place in AZ, then charge me shipping costs from GA and jacking up the price. I cant remember the name of the place in AZ, peterson something maybe.
Anyway this is my warning, cant say I didnt tell you.Click to view attachment

markb
You could always call us..... smile.gif
736conver
Not really a good way to join the 914 world site. Weather or not I agree or disagree with your situation.

welcome.png
AvalonFal
welcome.png

There are many stories about AA here on the site,,,,some good, some not so. Had a few myself. Don't give up hope. The overwhelming majority of 914 vendors are not like that.

Paul
DBCooper
Similar to what happened to me ten years ago, and I haven't bought a thing from AA since. George's failed customer service saved him twenty bucks back then, has cost him a hundred times that from lost sales to me since.

13b914
I have never had any problems with Auto Atlanta. They have always got me the right parts.
sixnotfour
I cant remember the name of the place in AZ, peterson something maybe

Patrick Motorsports in AZ

ericread
I tend to purchase quite a bit from Auto Atlanta. Whenever I've had a problem with my order (sometimes my error, sometimes theirs) they have jumped through hoops for me to get the error corrected. All in all, Geoorge and his crew have done a great job for me.

George has provided a great service in creating his 914 catalog, which is an excellent reference book. He has participated in some group buys at a significant discount, and participates in this BBS.

I am planning a purchase from GPR soon, and whenever possible, I try to purchase from membor vendors in order to support our cause.

Eric Read

MoveQik
As always, no apology or attempt to explain. Just a rambling reply from the Dr that makes no sense at all blink.gif

Drew, posts like yours serve as a great reminder as to why I wrote them off years ago.

Welcome and like others said, don't let his attitude ruin it for you. There are plenty of other suppliers that actually want your bussiness and conduct themselves accordingly. I'm in the same boat as DBCooper. My car will go without parts before I will buy them from AA.
914rat
popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif If you don't want to be dissappointed find another hobby or another supplier.
hot_shoe914
I have purchased parts from George many times and NEVER had a problem. I have listened to the stories about AA for nearly 30 years. In the old day most were horror stories, In the recent years I have heard mostly positive reviews. I have had more trouble with wrong parts from FLAPS than any specialized vendor. George is an asset to the 914 community and will be here when most are gone. Spoke to him the other day and he is one of the friendliest and most 914 involved people you will meet. You kind of have to look at it like Ebay feedback. If you have sold 50 items and 15 people aren't happy, you pretty much suck. If you have sold 50,000 parts and 200 people aren't happy, you really aren't doing bad at all. I can only wonder how many parts AA has sold since they have been open.

Just my two cents worth. Good luck with your car.

Shoe

welcome.png
SirAndy
popcorn[1].gif
914rat
Shoe,you are one of the lucky ones.
turboman808
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 8 2010, 10:51 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Got to love George's customer relations.
6freak
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 8 2010, 10:51 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

I was think that very thing Andy...cept more like here we go again
FourBlades
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Feb 8 2010, 11:39 AM) *

I have purchased parts from George many times and NEVER had a problem. I have listened to the stories about AA for nearly 30 years. In the old day most were horror stories, In the recent years I have heard mostly positive reviews. I have had more trouble with wrong parts from FLAPS than any specialized vendor. George is an asset to the 914 community and will be here when most are gone. Spoke to him the other day and he is one of the friendliest and most 914 involved people you will meet. You kind of have to look at it like Ebay feedback. If you have sold 50 items and 15 people aren't happy, you pretty much suck. If you have sold 50,000 parts and 200 people aren't happy, you really aren't doing bad at all. I can only wonder how many parts AA has sold since they have been open.

Just my two cents worth. Good luck with your car.

Shoe

welcome.png

agree.gif

I have had great luck with Auto Atlanta.

They went to a lot of trouble to make the transmission clinic that was held there
recently very successful and a lot of fun. No company is going to do everything
perfect every time.

John

underthetire
If I am not in any kind of hurry at all, I will order from AA. If i need a part within a week or two, I order from the bird or GPR.

I am not thrilled with AA, but they are an asset.
Sleepin
Don't we have one of these exact same threads every couple months or so? yawn.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Feb 8 2010, 11:33 AM) *

Don't we have one of these exact same threads every couple months or so? yawn.gif

Sure, a new victim every couple months.
There seems to be an even split here by those that praise AA and those that damn them.
To me it means that they do things right about 50% of the time.

I can think of a couple Porsche parts suppliers that have a better batting average.
JRust
I have noticed not alot of middle ground. Either you have had great luck with them & no problems. Or you are way down at the bottom end of the spectrum & regard it as a nightmare. I have not ordered from AA because of what I have heard.

I have yet to ever have a single problem with a Pelican order since I came on the seen in 1997. SInce then I have ordered from just about everyone. Except AA dry.gif Word of mouth gets you
jonferns
I usually order from PP, but I opted for AA's complete brake line kit but lo and behold they didnt't include the bending tool (thats listed on their site as included with the kit). Called them up and let's see if they send it. Overall, I can't say that i've had many bad experiences with them, just small things.
SirAndy
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Feb 8 2010, 12:03 PM) *

There seems to be an even split here by those that praise AA and those that damn them.

My uneducated guess would be that the 'damn them to hell' faction is probably much more vocal than the 'they are alright' faction.
In reality, it's probably not anywhere near a 50/50 split.

I venture to guess that there are many people like me that have ordered from AA in the past without any major troubles.

I just don't feel like starting a thread about that every other week.
shades.gif Andy
sww914
I've never had a problem with them but I've never ordered anything there.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
always the voice of reason.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 8 2010, 01:45 PM) *

My uneducated guess would be that the 'damn them to hell' faction is probably much more vocal than the 'they are alright' faction.

I venture to guess that there are many people like me that have ordered from AA in the past without any major troubles.

shades.gif Andy

hot_shoe914
I don't see the bird or anyone else getting us GT flares for 600 bucks shipped! aktion035.gif
detoxcowboy
drunk.gif KMA.gif confused24.gif sheeplove.gif sheeplove.gif poke.gif slap.gif

736conver
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 8 2010, 02:45 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

Customer Service 101

A happy customer tells 1 person

An unhappy customer tells everyone
dr914@autoatlanta.com
And with the internet it is much easier. Andrew is a good kid just frustrated. Doing a six conversion and needed a lot of hard to get parts along with the fact that he was double shipped a big item. I always say though better too many than not enough!! Worse things have happened.

QUOTE(736conver @ Feb 8 2010, 02:30 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 8 2010, 02:45 PM) *

shades.gif Andy

Customer Service 101

A happy customer tells 1 person

An unhappy customer tells everyone

ME733
I have been purchasing parts from george for 20 plus years.(probably 30) I have had no major problem, and the few minor ones, were resolved immediately. I have and do, recommend A A to anyone. If you run a business, with thousands of parts in inventory It,s enevatable a mistake will be made. People Do make mistakes.(buyers and sellers). George will make it Right. He always has. He always will. MM.
DBCooper
You're in Atlanta. No brainer, if I'm a vendor in Atlanta and you're right across the counter from me I'd take care of you too.

Look, every vendor makes mistakes. Nobody's perfect, that's a fact of life. So you don't judge customer service by whether or not they make mistakes, but how well they correct their mistakes once they're made. He sure didn't take care of me.

If you've never had a problem with AA, great. Here's hoping you never do.

PanelBilly
I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
MikeSpraggi
I bought from AA years ago and had no problems. Then I read the horror stories, so while I was in Atlanta, I made a visit. When I went there, met some great folks and even bought some parts. The receipt of the parts in Maryland a week later was without issues. I have since bought some other parts with no issues. Had issues with parts from another vendor that many praise on this site. For cars that arr 35 to 40 years old, we're fortunate to have as many options to purchase parts as we do. Unfortunately, we win some and lose some ... but at least we have some!
Jaymann
Do not put all your 914 parts in one basket,dipp your toe before you jump in.Remember, these cars have not been built for a while.How much of a chance did you really give George?Jaymann
jmill
He's alright. He made good when I had an issue with a part. I had to pay return shipping but he had to pay to ship it twice. I'll call us even. As far as buying an overpriced part and using AA as a one stop shop, that ones on you. My momma told me, you better shop around.
windforfun
AA is a first class operation. George tries his best & usually hits his head on the nail. I mean the nail on its head. But seriously, it's a complicated operation where I've spent thousands of dollars & have received some of the finest products & service. I'd rather work with George anytime as compared with the Chevy dealers where I used to get my Suburban fixed. Now those guys were complete idiots.
veltror
flag.gif

When I had my car in the US I used to buy from either Performance Products, tweeks or Automotion and AA. When I moved back home to the UK I used AA, never had an issue and spent much time with Georhe asking stupid questions and getting help when I needed it most. With every organisation there will be failings and success stories but when you order a part from anyone nobody posts saying hey this was great, just silence.

With the internet it is easy to shift perception one way or the other.

Now I buy from Mittelmotor or AA depends who is cheaper and what the exchange rate is at the time. Give George the benefit of the doubt, one failed transaction does not mean a failed proprietor. type.gif
tat2dphreak
Look, every vendor makes mistakes. Nobody's perfect, that's a fact of life. So you don't judge customer service by whether or not they make mistakes, but how well they correct their mistakes once they're made. He sure didn't take care of me.

If you've never had a problem with AA, great. Here's hoping you never do.

perfectly said.
Elliot Cannon
If you don't like a companys service, then don't do buisness with them again. But if you post complaints about them on a forum like this you sound like a whiney little bitch. hissyfit.gif Man up and take care of your problems like an adult. biggrin.gif
DBCooper
I actually did give George the benefit of the doubt. He's probably still laughing about that.

Of course every vendor makes mistakes, and with that in mind could I ask a question? Why is it that these threads about AA pop up so regularly? As Andy observed, it's like clockwork. But no similar threads about other vendors. You'd think if the cause was "the internet" that all vendors would be treated equally badly, but it's always Automobile Atlanta. Why is that?

I used to hope that after a few dozen of these threads George would finally figure out how much poor customer service has cost him over the years. But these new threads from people who've been screwed by AA are never ending, pretty much the same I posted ten years ago myself.

I repeat it's great that YOU've had no problems and I hope that's always the case.

6freak
GODSMACK has a new song out ...crying like a bitch....It will melt your face off aktion035.gif
rhcb914
Jeeze! not this again...every few months another thread bashing some vendor.

Admin team... Would it be hard to create a vendor ranking section. Simple thumbs up or thumbs down. We could list all the various vendors and when each of us have transactions we can give a simple thumbs up or thumbs down as to how the transaction went. Maybe this will eliminate some of these threads as well as provide some accountablity to our vendors.

-Rob
mtndawg
A HUGE benefit of calling AA is that you get to talk with someone who can answer ANY question about the 914. I've had a couple of errors in orders that were corrected. A lot of people on this site have a lot of knowledge, but George's experience is vast and he's willing to talk on the phone. I've never talked with someone at a Porsche dealer who knows as much.
ericread
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 9 2010, 09:26 AM) *

If you don't like a companys service, then don't do buisness with them again. But if you post complaints about them on a forum like this you sound like a whiney little bitch. hissyfit.gif Man up and take care of your problems like an adult. biggrin.gif

agree.gif Well said!!!
DBCooper
Of course I give my friends a heads-up when they're about to step into dog shit. You don't? So what the hell kind of friend does that make you you? [smiley bullshit face]

Look, you want to buy from AA great. You don't, also great. But either way you sure as hell better know who you're dealing with.

underthetire
As i said before, i'm not a huge fan either, but it will be funny to see how many people that are bitching right now will order stuff on feb. 12th for the sale day. Since his ad is flashing at me right now as I type. biggrin.gif
ME733
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 9 2010, 02:04 PM) *

As i said before, i'm not a huge fan either, but it will be funny to see how many people that are bitching right now will order stuff on feb. 12th for the sale day. Since his ad is flashing at me right now as I type. biggrin.gif

................Probably 3/4 of the people who are bitching......
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(rhcb914 @ Feb 9 2010, 10:43 AM) *

Jeeze! not this again...every few months another thread bashing some vendor.

Admin team... Would it be hard to create a vendor ranking section. Simple thumbs up or thumbs down. We could list all the various vendors and when each of us have transactions we can give a simple thumbs up or thumbs down as to how the transaction went. Maybe this will eliminate some of these threads as well as provide some accountablity to our vendors.

-Rob

I deserve a thrashing take it like a man and learn a lesson.

736conver
QUOTE(underthetire @ Feb 9 2010, 01:04 PM) *

No what will be funny is all the posts after the sale complaining about the usual AA problems. It happens everytime AA has a sale.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.