Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progress Update and two questions....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
quadracerx
I began trying to diagnose a part throttle miss....idles great...takes throttle great....hold throttle at almost any RPM and it misses.....seems to not miss as bad at higher RPM....its carbed... WTF.gif

Checked the folowing:

Timing
Fuel pressure...

Started to mess with the what I like to call "mixture thumbscrews" until the miss got a bit better but still not gone....A friend told me to try pouring some "Seafoam" in with the gas on the next fill up....AND although Im not a big "magic elixer" will fix it guy.... Everyone I asked said this Seafoam stuff worked for them (4 people out of 4 gave good reviews) and so....I poured a bottle of this stuff in....and WHAM...miss is almost completely gone.....and improving seemingly the more I drive it confused24.gif

Hey...whatever works I guess..So now Im planning an hour long drive to and from Tacoma....in the near future....

Ok so now the two questions...

1) How do I identify what Webers I have?

2) Is the fuel expansion tank standard equiptment on all 914 that came with Fuel Injection? And do I need it when I go to a V8 on my other car?

Ok...guess that was really three questions.....

Thanks again for all your help..

Steve
rick 918-S
I'm not sure where you started on this but here's my advise. 90% of carb problems are electrical. Specially when you discribe a miss condition while holding RPM's.

1) start with the dizzy, check the shaft for play

2) check the points and condensor, Hell, just replace them but be sure the voltage going to the points is correct and not frying them within the first couple of minutes running.

3) replace the wires. If they are new check them for resistance. I had a set of wires once that was purchased new and had one with poor connection on the terminal. I chased that thing for a week!

4) replace the cap and rotor. If their new check to see a bad wire hasn't caused a miss fire from the cap terminal to the dizz body. (shortest distance to ground and acts like an intermitent miss fire)

5) Check the coil for carbon tracking poor output and corrosion at the connections. Triple check the coil wire.

6) spark plugs should go without saying.. Check for carbon tracking and miss matched colored electrode. That should pin down the errent cylinder.

Be sure your timing is correct and any advance curve you have is working correctly.

THEN start on the carb work from the fuel pressure through the filter then the carb guts.

Good luck.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Feb 8 2010, 07:32 PM) *

1) How do I identify what Webers I have?

read the side of the carb.
quadracerx
Rick thanks for the detailed response and your help...everything on your list checks out ok except that I havent checked the resistance in the new plug wires..but Im on it tonight if I can...ill pull the plugs again and look at them too for signs of rich or lean or anything...thanks again

Looked at the carbs again...dont see any ID numbers letters NADA....Where exactly SHOULD these markings be? Again...Im a Chevy V8 guy and new to 914 stuff...so please dont pick on the newbie too bad....Honestly I would like to have the original FI instead of these Webers but...I have what I have...so..

What about the fuel tank questions? Anybody know....Is the fuel expansion tank standard equiptment on all 914 that came with Fuel Injection? And do I need it when I go to a V8 on my other car?

Thanks again you guys...

Steve

ArtechnikA
QUOTE(quadracerx @ Feb 8 2010, 09:19 PM) *

Looked at the carbs again...dont see any ID numbers letters NADA....Where exactly SHOULD these markings be?
What about the fuel tank questions? Anybody know....Is the fuel expansion tank...

sample photo attached (46IDA3C).
Click to view attachment
You say it doesn't say 'ANYTHING.'
if it doesn't say WEBER - maybe it's something else...

The tank is not an expansion tank, it is a charcoal canister, part of the evaporative circuit of the emissions system.
AFAIK all US 914's had them - but I really only know /6's best...

You don't "need" it other than as part of the emissions system, if you live in a state where there is a visual inspection for your emissions test, if it's gone - that's visually obvious... If you remove the canister, there is a connection at the tank and somewhere in the air system that will need to get dealt with. (On 914/6 there are hoses from the fan shround and to (IIRC) the air cleaner. I donno about /4's, and obviously an 8 has its own way of dealing with this - but no convenient forced air source...
Van
On my Weber IDFs, the model and size is stamped at the bottom on one of the flanges (where it bolts to the intake manifold).

The carb tech articles here: http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm might help you understand how different jets/components of the carbs affect different RPM ranges...
underthetire
Seafoam aktion035.gif

I told someone else on here to use it a while back, then the Krusty one and I got in to debate about techron.

Seafoam does a great job at getting water out and cleaning.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.