Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 VR6 conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
the4ork
hey guys, i went to register today and apparently already had done so when i owned a 914 a few years ago...

unfortunately, my gf sold it out from under me while i was in iraq in 2008 for drug money sad.gif

so ive been porsche-less since....

anywho, it left such an impression on me the 6 months that i had owned it, (76' 1.7 with dual webbers) that im craving for another.

im not much of an air cooled engine person, and ive been into watercooled mk1 and mk2 vw's since i was in highschool and know them and their engines like the back of my hand...

so i would love to have a 914 with my favorite engine, the vr6 smile.gif

just looking to see if there were anyone out there that has done this before so i can get some pointers on how to mount and install the engine, wiring will be a breeze, done swaps with vr's before, and lastly i would need some assistance with radiators...

im also considering a 13b rotory, but i think i will stick with what i know smile.gif
ghuff
QUOTE(the4ork @ Feb 10 2010, 06:33 PM) *

hey guys, i went to register today and apparently already had done so when i owned a 914 a few years ago...

unfortunately, my gf sold it out from under me while i was in iraq in 2008 for drug money sad.gif

so ive been porsche-less since....

anywho, it left such an impression on me the 6 months that i had owned it, (76' 1.7 with dual webbers) that im craving for another.

im not much of an air cooled engine person, and ive been into watercooled mk1 and mk2 vw's since i was in highschool and know them and their engines like the back of my hand...

so i would love to have a 914 with my favorite engine, the vr6 smile.gif

just looking to see if there were anyone out there that has done this before so i can get some pointers on how to mount and install the engine, wiring will be a breeze, done swaps with vr's before, and lastly i would need some assistance with radiators...

im also considering a 13b rotory, but i think i will stick with what i know smile.gif

I like the 12v VR6 and think I know you from the vortex, but a VR6 is a poor motor for a 914.

Heavy, and poor head flow. They sound great though. I miss the sound of mine.
Van
Years ago at the track I saw a 914 with a VW 1.8T engine mated to a Boxster tranny... It was quite quick. (It was also a completely stripped track car.)
dlo914
You could go with a Subaru Flat 6 or turbo/NA 4, street ported Rotary, or i have yet to see a toyota 4AGE (from mid 80's to early 90's corolla) thrown into a 914.
bigkensteele
welcome.png

Welcome back that is...

Thank you for your service. I hate stories like yours, but I am certain that your character has and will overcome all obstacles.

I know the vr6 has been done, but I can't remember who. IMHO, if you are going to go water-cooled, then there is a lot more bang for the buck out there than the vr6, which is why a lot of the guys on this board are sporting suby and chevy conversions.

If you want to keep in in the family, so to speak, a 928 v8 can be done, as Rick has proven. I would also love to see more Audi v6 and v8 conversions. Neo914 has done a very sweet s4 transplant.
championgt1
Not sure about a VR6. However there is someone on here that is puting a Corrado G60 motor in their car.

Good luck! beerchug.gif
Bruce Hinds
if 4 is good and 6 is better, why not go with an 8? They are easy and awesome. Especially when you consider you'd spend more and have less with a 6.
B
Dr Evil
I believe that the engine okieflyer is using is the VR6. PM him and he can show you the best conversion with one that is possible. It is truly amazing.
the4ork
sorry i dont mean to sound like the vr6 is the best thing ever made, and yes there are a LOT of much better engines out there... i just simply wanted to stick with what i know... i have an AEB 1.8t engine, that i pulled from another swap but i just simply did not like the power delivery with that engine, after trying 3 different turbo's it just wasnt for me... a vr6T is just a much better choice imho

its cast iron and a little on the heavy side, but the sound makes up for the weight, and boost makes up for lack of head flow (a little at least lol)

not making a powerhouse, just want something i can pull out of the junkyard for $300, get any adapters needed (trans) throw in a new clutch and go...

problem:
dont know american or foreign v8's
not a fan of aircooled engines
love rotary engines but would feel bad putting a jap engine in a porsche, plus i have no clue on how to tune, build, fix, diagnose...
h20 vw engines are my thing, vr6 and tdi being the best (TDI-M swap sounds awesome, hard to find tho)
Sleepin
First off thank you for serving your country! I know a lot of people say that to you nowadays, but from most of us it is a genuine gesture of thanks!

As far as VW engines into a 914...well, it will be your car and you need to do what you want. It would be a fun challenge IMO, and for the most part uncharted territory. I look forward to seeing a project thread from you!
rick 918-S
welcome.png Back to world!
the4ork
QUOTE(Sleepin @ Feb 10 2010, 10:19 PM) *

First off thank you for serving your country! I know a lot of people say that to you nowadays, but from most of us it is a genuine gesture of thanks!

As far as VW engines into a 914...well, it will be your car and you need to do what you want. It would be a fun challenge IMO, and for the most part uncharted territory. I look forward to seeing a project thread from you!

i have to find a new one first...

been eyeballing this one... might just part out everythign i dont need (engine wise) and go from there, CHEAP!

IPB Image
IPB Image
plymouth37
Interesting "Chalonish" body, Watch out for rust in the usual spots!
SirAndy
QUOTE(the4ork @ Feb 10 2010, 08:26 PM) *

love rotary engines but would feel bad putting a jap engine in a porsche

How about a German rotary then?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=19558

shades.gif Andy
Gary
Old VR6 thread

Another

'nuther

G
the4ork
QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Feb 10 2010, 10:58 PM) *

Interesting "Chalonish" body, Watch out for rust in the usual spots!

heh thanks, but we dont have rust here in cali piratenanner.gif

btw, AWESOME build thread, i spent over an hour looking at and analyzing all the pics!
the4ork
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 10 2010, 11:00 PM) *

QUOTE(the4ork @ Feb 10 2010, 08:26 PM) *

love rotary engines but would feel bad putting a jap engine in a porsche

How about a German rotary then?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=19558

shades.gif Andy

ID LOVE ONE! but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ lol im not a doctor or a CEO haha
the4ork
QUOTE(Gary @ Feb 10 2010, 11:05 PM) *

AWESOME!!! that first thread was the encouragement i needed.... looks like it will fit with minimal modification... small trimming and filling to the trunk, and two engine mounts should do it... wiring, coolant... done
Dr Evil
okieflyer also used a boxter transmission with cable shift. Should show up on a search.
Todd Enlund
The VR6 was designed to be narrow for transverse mounting. The design was compromised to meet that goal. It's not ideal for longitudinal mounting, but sure... it could be done. I think the TDI would be way cooler though.
okieflyr
QUOTE(the4ork @ Feb 10 2010, 11:26 PM) *

sorry i dont mean to sound like the vr6 is the best thing ever made, and yes there are a LOT of much better engines out there... i just simply wanted to stick with what i know... i have an AEB 1.8t engine, that i pulled from another swap but i just simply did not like the power delivery with that engine, after trying 3 different turbo's it just wasnt for me... a vr6T is just a much better choice imho

its cast iron and a little on the heavy side, but the sound makes up for the weight, and boost makes up for lack of head flow (a little at least lol)

not making a powerhouse, just want something i can pull out of the junkyard for $300, get any adapters needed (trans) throw in a new clutch and go...

problem:
dont know american or foreign v8's
not a fan of aircooled engines
love rotary engines but would feel bad putting a jap engine in a porsche, plus i have no clue on how to tune, build, fix, diagnose...
h20 vw engines are my thing, vr6 and tdi being the best (TDI-M swap sounds awesome, hard to find tho)

I have an 03' anniv 1.8t running and driving in my car. It's been reliable enough for long road trips, and with good fuel economy and power. I used the 901 w/Kennedy adapter /clutch set up and it worked fine. I've since updated to an 012 Passat trans w/Quaiffe and Boxster cable shift. I have a like new low milage Kennedy h2o VW/901 setup if your in need.
jaxdream
Kevin , could you give more details on the 012 Passat tranny setup ??

Jack / Jaxdream
slackin' at work
before selling my 04 R32, I took some preliminary measurements...
I think it's too long to fit without major surgery.

yes, by design it is a little shorter then a standard straight 6, but short it is not.
it's about 5 cylinders long, so it would be comparable to putting in a V10.

since a v8 install usually needs both firewall and trunk mods, adding another
cylinder worth of length may be a bit much.

but then again, I only took quick measurements, drank a beer, scratched my
head and came to the conclusion that a v8 would be better.

beerchug.gif

after looking at the older threads posted on the first page, I stand corrected.
look like they'll fit fine. again, It appears I was just talking out my a$$.
however I think the 3.2s are larger then the 2.8 in overall length.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.