Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: san diego welding class/BBQ
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
sean_v8_914
a while back someone suggested that I do a welding class focused on teh needs of the 914 community. I did a post like this one and the interest seemed weak so I put it on teh back burner. since then ,several members have sent PMs and emails asking when or if I was still going to do it.

I want your input about what ya'll want to see and learn. I think it could be done in a 2 day format ALA Dr Evil trans clinic (although i'm less entertaining)

who is interested?
what specific content would you like to see?
when would work for teh most peeps?
we will need more than my 2 welding machines.

beer, no beer?
catered or cook our own
hire twistedone to cook for us
plasma cutting?
MIG only?
gas or flux?
chicken or beef?

here are some content ideas:

Chemistry of rust
Acid
Passivation
Treatment proceedures

Materials
SEm Rust Mort, PPG DX, POR-15, weld thru primer, etching primer

Safety
Eyes, shoes, slag, wet rags, fire extinguisher, surrounding area, gloves, all leather sneakers vs boots
Galiv
Brake chem.
Fumes, setup surrounding area, fires, escape route

GA steel to use, bendable vs strong
The onion concept chassis layers

Metallurgy, color changes, penetration, growth, chassis distortion

Setup, area, ventilation, wind shielding outdoors, back lighting, target lighting

Prep work, metal prep, metal thickness, metal thin due to rust, rusty acne concept DWG

Techniques: spotting, stitching, building, heat sinking,
sean_v8_914
yuck
sean_v8_914
yum
76-914
I was wondering what happened to this event. Yes, yes, yes. I want to attend. I don't care if others drink as long as our instructor is sober.
DonTraver
I'd show up for it, just where and when. All I've ever done is stick welding.

RiqueMar
Sean, you know I'm down for this event as long as I can make it. I know nothing about welding and want to learn all I can.
welder.gif welder.gif welder.gif
charliew
that list looks like really good content and something new for even experienced unibody repairmen. Ten people would be a lot for good exposure for each person even if they are already pretty good at migging on a flat surface on clean metal unless there is more than one teacher and it seems to me like you might need a welder for every two or three people.

A friend of mine recently went to a class in texas run by Gene Winfield who travels and he actually chopped a top in the class, I think it was a 5 day class.
siverson
Sure, I'd like to come, and if needed, I can bring my Home Depot/Miller MIG welder.

In particular, I'm interested in learning to cut/bend/weld tubing, but am up for anything.

-Steve
ericread
For what level of experience would this class apply? I have never picked up a welder tool, so would I just slow everyine else down? As much as I would like to learn, I don't want to slow down intermediate/advanced welders. Nor do I wnat to waste my time because I don't know the fundementals.

Eric Read
Socalandy
This is awsome. I want to attened!!
johnnie5
Hey Sean, I would love to learn to weld - I suck at it. I actually just got home from my friend Mark's shop, I finally installed my front sway bar today. I did the r & r, drilling and cutting... but left welding the triangle brackets and u tabs to Mark. It would have been nice to have welded them on myself!

I am guessing you will hold this event at your shop. Just say when and I'll be there! Great idea... Thanks in advance!
EdwardBlume
I'd be all over this event.... if it were up here... welder.gif
Steve
I would also love to attend. But I haven't welded anything since high school 35 years ago.
arvcube
I'm interested too, depending on when it is...i also have a Home Depot Lincoln WeldPak set up for MIG. I try but I suck
silver74insocal
QUOTE(ericread @ Feb 11 2010, 10:43 AM) *

For what level of experience would this class apply? I have never picked up a welder tool, so would I just slow everyine else down? As much as I would like to learn, I don't want to slow down intermediate/advanced welders. Nor do I wnat to waste my time because I don't know the fundementals.

Eric Read

agree.gif but would definetly be interested in attending
porcaddie4
I'm in.
sean_v8_914
Curriculum addendums based on World feedback

Test train an assistant, test run of lesson plan, assistant needs a nik name
Limit class size to 2-3 per welding machine
Solicit additional machines
Students swap welders too feel different brand machines(important!)
Cut bend weld round tube is a much longer class
oldschool
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Feb 11 2010, 07:09 AM) *

yum

I'm down I will design a easy cool looking T-shirt for the event so we can all say been there ,done that, and got the T-SHIRT aktion035.gif
cork
i would go, just need a date. thanks cork
dale 914
I'm one to embarass myself.

Count me in, I think this would be great!!!

Dale
sean_v8_914
APRIL OR MAY?
siverson
Either - and Sundays are much better for me than Saturdays... (if possible)

-Steve
sean_v8_914
its going to take 2 full days to give yall the goods
Socalandy
the 4th and 25th of April or those weekends work for me. I will bring my Lincoln 100HD MIG setup if needed. I'd think learning with my welder would be better coming away knowing what I can and cant do with it. welder.gif

I cant wait!!
sean_v8_914
bring your welder but I will make you switch welders so you learn to adapt and read welding conditions not limited to your welder's habits. the trick to welding versatility is learning to read conditions as they change. You will learn more on teh Lincon. a Millermatic is what I call a cheater welder. they have circuitry that masks improper technique
Steve
Whatever happened to this?
G e o r g e
popcorn[1].gif
BuddyV
Ooh!

I would have been (still would be) in.

welder.gif

(beginner-welding, BTW)
sean_v8_914
work, life, OP drama infestation into my world.

...right about the time I was writing the lesson plan, a storm was brewing on my EX landlords desk. my old shop location was condemned by the city of San Diego for ongoing code violations. there were 7 shops in the complex and we all got asked/told/evicted to move. apparently the owner of the place ignored the city inspector's requests to correct for the entire 2 years I was there. she never told any of us about the code issues. Wed, 3 days before the "re-inspection" she sent us a notice of the violations, citing that I would be accountable for any fines for violations not corrected by Monday.. the city inspector is cousin of a racing buddy so when I called her, I got the history of non-compliance from her. unfortunately you cant un-ring a bell so one day I came to work and a contractor was ripping the electricity feeds to my shop out of the ground.

I was closed for 3 months, it took 100+hours, 3 brokers and it cost me well over $15k to move.

I am eternally grateful to my friends and many 914 world member who stepped up with time, trucks and trailers to help me move

I am grateful that this event showed me how awesome this community can be when one of us is in need.

I am grateful because my new shop is 10 times better in 20 different ways
sean_v8_914
...5500 is better than 1700 sq ft
Steve
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 30 2011, 10:06 AM) *

work, life, OP drama infestation into my world.

...right about the time I was writing the lesson plan, a storm was brewing on my EX landlords desk. my old shop location was condemned by the city of San Diego for ongoing code violations. there were 7 shops in the complex and we all got asked/told/evicted to move. apparently the owner of the place ignored the city inspector's requests to correct for the entire 2 years I was there. she never told any of us about the code issues. Wed, 3 days before the "re-inspection" she sent us a notice of the violations, citing that I would be accountable for any fines for violations not corrected by Monday.. the city inspector is cousin of a racing buddy so when I called her, I got the history of non-compliance from her. unfortunately you cant un-ring a bell so one day I came to work and a contractor was ripping the electricity feeds to my shop out of the ground.

I was closed for 3 months, it took 100+hours, 3 brokers and it cost me well over $15k to move.

I am eternally grateful to my friends and many 914 world member who stepped up with time, trucks and trailers to help me move

I am grateful that this event showed me how awesome this community can be when one of us is in need.

I am grateful because my new shop is 10 times better in 20 different ways

All that happened a year ago... So when's the class?? LOL
poke.gif

We can use my car as a guinea pig and you can weld up the chassis!!!
sean_v8_914
...and what a fine "pig"
Steve
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Dec 30 2011, 11:15 AM) *

...and what a fine "pig"

Actually I think it's more like a "hog" with all the money I have in it.
billh1963
I would absolutely LOVE to have a class like this in the Southeast. I want to take a MIG class; however, all the tech schools around me that I could get to at a reasonable time are geared towards welding certificates. I just want to learn the normal basics and then really learn details of MIG panel welding.
arvcube
my bucket that's been sitting the last year could guinea some hell hole work. would be a good time to put my new engine in. i want to drive the beotch this year!
infraredcalvin
I'd be interested as well, I just got my first mig for Xmas and I have a 914 already stripped that needs a little help if we need a demonstration car.
sean_v8_914
hog, pig, sow....I'll love it and feed it well. but I would slap on some sticky tires and make that pig earn its chow.
sean_v8_914
spring fling welding bbq...
I really think it would take at least 2 days min to be usefull/good.
I'll publish the lesson plan early so when the students arrive, you will have a head start.
3d914
Either April or May works for me. I'd be glad to bring my portable (110v) wire-core welder for others to use.
eric9144
I'd be in if you are going to do it! Sounds like a good time welder.gif
69rsss
This event sounds awesome! I would for sure be there if it was closer to home.....like Washington state. I have a ton of questions about welding and want to learn so I can work on my own stuff, I'm sure I'm not alone in my area. It would be cool to see an event like this held around here. I would be willing to cook too!
phatnine11
Sean,
Please add me to the list of attendees. I should be able to bring 1 MIG unit, if you're wired for 220V, I can bring an additional unit. Will we be doing any TIG welding?
Thanks,
Cesar
Socalandy
I would like to attend and have a Lincoln 100hd mig I can bring
infraredcalvin
Bringing this back to the top, any updates? I'm willing to bring chowtime.gif, beer.gif , or $$$!
I'm in.. no experience - but what's the date?
silver74insocal
still interested and still dont know sH%t biggrin.gif
sean_v8_914
PCA San Diego hosts our Spring 2012 Performance driving school May 4, 5, 6. as CDI I am responsible for planning and execution so im a little busy until after the school.
...and Instructor training day march 3rd.

Im getting excited about this event. Ive been back at writting the lesson plan. as I type, I can see it coming together. I still think it will take 2 days to be worth a dang. the days are long in the summer . June is still nice weather here in san diego. Perhaps 1st or second week of June...last week of May could work but i will be recovering from the PDS (it's a really big deal to me)

18 have responded
how many of you would come for a 2 day class?
is $250 reasonable for a 2 day class?
Ill feed everyone slow BBQ smokey goodness
include rags, fire suppression, grinding wheels, grinders, clean and rusty metal, chemicals, beer, soda, water.
hire another experienced rusty metal welding guy so we could have better student coverage
limit class size to ? 10-15 max
observers free, pitch in a bit for food and beverage
sean_v8_914
I'll start with welding basic 101 but focus will be specific to welding rusty 914s and rust abatement

im writing a manual to go with it so you can reference it a week later when you attack your rusty 914 project with your new skills and courage.
we will focus on practice. I'll go light on the chalk talk since you will have the reference manual with the chem treatment procedures and what not, suggested tools and materials.
sean_v8_914
fire up the grill at 7am. yumm-fest at high noon.
Steve
Sounds good to me. I would attend. Would this be a Saturday, Sunday thing or during the week?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.