Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: spark plug type for 1.7
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeremiah98125
So I've been reading through all the posts about spark plugs and still confused. What is the right type for my 1.7? My owners manual says to use Bosch W175 T2 so I was wondering what the modern equivalent is? My car has W8CC and the ones I bought from Pelican are WR7CC which sounds like a hotter plug with a resistor?
TheCabinetmaker
NGK BP6ES is what I use in all my 914's. They have a new # now, but I don't know what it is.
Cap'n Krusty
There are 2 "correct" spark plugs. NGK B6ES is a good choice, and Bosch W7CC is, too. The resistor plug, WR7CC will work fine. W8CC and it's variants are one heat range step hotter, and should be fine. They were stock on the '76-'79 VW bus, and may be a better choice for modern fuel. If most of your driving is high speed "touring", I'd stick with the first two choices. NO Platinum plugs! All stock 914s use the same spark plug, and the extended reach plugs (B"P"6ES and WR7"D"S) are NOT recommended.

The Cap'n
edwin
not sure if this has been covered before but why not use Platinum plugs?
cheers, edwin
underthetire
QUOTE(edwin @ Feb 22 2010, 06:41 AM) *

cheers, edwin

You need a lot more juice to clean plat plugs. They don't work well in most older cars IMO. HEI would be the way to go there.
ericread
QUOTE(edwin @ Feb 22 2010, 06:41 AM) *

cheers, edwin

Take a look at this posting:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...ark++plug++heat

The last post is mine. I'm in the process of providing a more in-depth write-up. Should be ready within the week.

Eric
914Mike
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 19 2010, 08:12 AM) *

There are 2 "correct" spark plugs. NGK B6ES is a good choice, and Bosch W7CC is, too. The resistor plug, WR7CC will work fine. W8CC and it's variants are one heat range step hotter, and should be fine. They were stock on the '76-'79 VW bus, and may be a better choice for modern fuel. If most of your driving is high speed "touring", I'd stick with the first two choices. NO Platinum plugs! All stock 914s use the same spark plug, and the extended reach plugs (B"P"6ES and WR7"D"S) are NOT recommended.

The Cap'n

Man, I thought I was going to have to search all day to find out the difference in W7CC and WR7CC. Here it is all in the first thread I found!

Thanks Cap'n! Keep it Krusty!

(Running out to put the W7CC's in...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.