Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas tank venting/sloshing issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
Last weekend at the track, I experienced some very noticable and sketchy issues with fuel sloshing and overflow. The PO had totally gutted the evap canister and vapor recovery lines from the car; basically the top end of the tank isn't connected to anything. So, unless I route it somewhere, under heavy G's the top vent/overflow outlet (near the gas cap) spews some significant fumes and potentially liquid gas if the tank is fairly full. (I never encountered this in street driving, even in the canyons.)

What's the best way to handle this? The car is carbed and I suspect most carbed guys have ditched the vapor recovery system. Do I just run a fuel line vent to the outside of the car or something?

Obviously this isn't a good situation and I need a "quick fix" ASAP because the fuel cell won't be in the car for another month or three.

TIA,
Gint
On the brown car I routed the vent hose down the larger drain hose. Only temporary, but it'll at least get the excess fuel and fumes heading down and out underneath the car.
J P Stein
I did the same as Mike.
Ran a tube off the vent at the filler neck.
Popped a hole in the big drain hose and ran the tube 6-8 inches down the big hose.......mine is considered permanent blink.gif

Also, check the gasket on the gas cap. Mine was toast.
A replacement cured the "stinkies".
campbellcj
Sounds good. Only one problem -- the "big" drain/overflow hose isn't there either. (If I ever overfill the tank it will be a fugging mess.)

I figure I can re-add one though, that just routes outside of the car somewhere. Then route the smaller vent line thru the bigger one like you guys did.
cha914
JP...

Where did you get your replacement gasket? Mine is toast also, but I never could get a clear answer on that one...I have a 74 with the metal cap...

Thanks,

Tony
si2t3m
In my case, i carfully took the old gasket out, traced it on some new gasket material, cut it and put the old one + the new one in there.

Worked for me.

HTH

Marc-Andre Morin
914-6 conversion 3.0L Webers
J P Stein
I had a newer cap with a good gasket.
M-A s deal is a good one......cheep, too.

Chris:

The big tube runs out the bottom of the car. You could just run a smaller tube out that way....but ya gotta figure some way to hold it there....I'm lazy, so I left the big'un in there.
Brad Roberts
Good stuff guys.

Chris,

mentally.. the gas fumes play hell on your mind. I see faster lap times with No smell.

B
vortrex
hah, probably not a mental thing. I imagine breathing gas fumes all day doesn't exactly help your reaction times and overall mental awareness!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.