Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
enikolayev
Missing one head stud for my TIV. Can i use the Type 1 head studs? I have several used Type 1 cases lying around.

I'm guessing its not a good idea to just replace the one head stud since the Type 1 head studs are much thicker and could have a different expansion rate?

What if i replaced them all?
underthetire
Best thing to do is ask for one in your area, a lot of guys here have junker motors laying around.
raw1298
I may have one laying around. You need the long one or the short one?
Mark Henry
No the T1 and the T4 are not the same.
enikolayev
I need the short one... how much shipped to 95838?
raw1298
PM me your address and I will send it out on Monday. You can send money for shipping if you want but no need to.
enikolayev
PM sent. Thanks!
Katmanken
barf.gif

The head stud designs are critical. Randomly swapping out studs that kinda look alike but are different diameter, different length and possibly different material is a no-no. Kinda like trying different size bullets in a gun to see if they will work.

The studs are carefully designed to apply a certain force on the head for the torque on the nut. The idea is to hold the head in place with enough torque so the head doesn't move away from the cylinder when the engine fires. Stud stretch is carefully designed in, and the expansion and contraction due to temperature plays a part in the design of the stud and the torque.

Different diameter, different length or different material will make the odd stud behave unlike the others.
raw1298
Another teener in my area!!! piratenanner.gif
ME733
QUOTE(kwales @ Feb 21 2010, 01:20 PM) *

barf.gif

The head stud designs are critical. Randomly swapping out studs that kinda look alike but are different diameter, different length and possibly different material is a no-no. Kinda like trying different size bullets in a gun to see if they will work.

The studs are carefully designed to apply a certain force on the head for the torque on the nut. The idea is to hold the head in place with enough torque so the head doesn't move away from the cylinder when the engine fires. Stud stretch is carefully designed in, and the expansion and contraction due to temperature plays a part in the design of the stud and the torque.

Different diameter, different length or different material will make the odd stud behave unlike the others.

.....................You are correct- completely.......M.M.
enikolayev
Yeah i was concerned about all that expansion rate mambo jumbo.

I guess, like on other cars where people install ARP head studs and such to increase the torque on the head for turbo applications and such isn't possible with the type IV?

I figured if you were consistent, it shouldn't matter.
scotty b
QUOTE(enikolayev @ Feb 21 2010, 04:24 PM) *

Yeah i was concerned about all that expansion rate mambo jumbo.

I guess, like on other cars where people install ARP head studs and such to increase the torque on the head for turbo applications and such isn't possible with the type IV?

I figured if you were consistent, it shouldn't matter.

confused24.gif Mama loves mambo confused24.gif
enikolayev
Thanks for the hook up on the head studs Randy!
raw1298
I am glad to be able to help. Nice meeting you! Let me know if you need anything else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.