Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New metric bolts and such, and
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Where can I find NEW metric bolts and such for my body re-assembly?

and

What is the sticky gooey stuff between the body and the horn mount bolt / holder? Can I use left over window goo? Is it really necessary?

SirAndy
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 22 2010, 12:47 PM) *

Where can I find NEW metric bolts and such for my body re-assembly?

In the "Metric" isle at your hardware store ...
shades.gif Andy
whatabout1
Avoid the hardware and home improvement stores. You never know what you are getting !!
It's OK for a picnic table not a car, boat or plane.

These guys are great

http://www.boltdepot.com/DefaultB.aspx

jonferns
I went to my local Sears hardware store and they have an aisle of bolts of all grades and also metric. I picked up some M8x40mm stainless steel bolts for mounting my bumpers, along with some stainless washers.
tradisrad
You can check Global Metric in San Carlos (maybe Belmont). They seem to close early, but they have a great selection. Call first.

My horns had rubber pads under them.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(whatabout1 @ Feb 22 2010, 01:06 PM) *

Avoid the hardware and home improvement stores. You never know what you are getting !!
It's OK for a picnic table not a car, boat or plane.

These guys are great

http://www.boltdepot.com/DefaultB.aspx

You can find 80% of what you need at a hardware store if they carry auto motive grade, which ace hardware does.. you want to look at hardnesses 8.8 10.8 12.9 14.8 ect.. you can get stainless at Ace too.. There are going to be the areas few of them where you need as factory a specific thread pitch and length which can be hard to find anywhere even online.. I have had a problem with 7mm nuts and 14mm nuts of certtain pitch whihc seems to get skipped where the other are available.. there are some specialty wahser you may never find.. But 80% of the items commonly needed are there
Eric_Shea
Use the following together:

http://www.mcmaster.com

and

http://www.porsche.com/international/acces...partscatalogue/

The goo? Yes, use the butyl tape from a rear window install.
detoxcowboy
What is the sticky gooey stuff between the body and the horn mount bolt / holder? Can I use left over window goo? Is it really necessary?

You will eventually find that black tar everywhere, factory assembly.. I found some places it helped and others it did not matter, I have not found any that was particularly critical.. confused24.gif under roll bar trim, firewall cabeling, tailight, foward floor corner, ect. ect. ect. behing seatbelt mounts.. seamed to be around small openings..
underthetire
And really, Orchard Supply Hardware has a ton of metric stuff. I buy all my flange bolts there for the old dirtbikes. Ace by my house has a whole section of automotive fasteners from the plastic trim plugs to exhaust studs.
VaccaRabite
The ACE around me SUCKS. But the 2 TrueValue stores have a good selection of Metric stuff.
Zach
EdwardBlume
Thanks guys... I found lots of metric bling at the ACE up the street from work.... got the front air dam installed....

Nice work sww914...
EdwardBlume
... and I used the rear window butyl around the horn mounts......

Are the horns multi functional.. ie current in or out either way?

Also, CW question: is which sides are the correct sides for #3 and #4 horns???
BigD9146gt
QUOTE(RobW @ Feb 22 2010, 09:44 PM) *

Thanks guys... I found lots of metric bling at the ACE up the street from work.... got the front air dam installed....

Nice work sww914...

Nice, the Ace's really do have a great selection (at least in this area). But if you ever need more specialized sizes, Metric Man in San Jose (on 10th? around 101 and 880) can get you all the odd ball stuff.

I second that, Steve does great work!
d914
dumb question???? Do we have a list of most used hardware???? If buying a bunch new it would be nice to Know....
EdwardBlume
Is there a parts washer solution that can restore oxidized and lightly rusted bolts and fastners?
McMark
Rob, there's a place in Sac that'll replate for cheap. Just throw everything in a box with your name address phone and what you want and they fix it up and send it back.

And don't waste your time cleaning lightly rusty/oxidized parts. They'll look exactly the same in no time unless they're replated. Cleaning them is satisfying, but ineffective.
914Sixer
That gooey stuff behind the horn mount bolt is really a rubber washer. Use the ones from the plumbing section because they are fiber reinforced.
Dr Evil
I use BoltDepot.com
sww914
Thanks for the compliments, guys. It was a pleasure to finish Rob's car. He is the most appreciative customer ever and I hope the car brings him nothing but joy.
Sounds like a fucking anniversary card but it's true.
I am impressed with the quality of fasteners at Fastenal, FWIW.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 24 2010, 04:51 PM) *

Rob, there's a place in Sac that'll replate for cheap. Just throw everything in a box with your name address phone and what you want and they fix it up and send it back.

And don't waste your time cleaning lightly rusty/oxidized parts. They'll look exactly the same in no time unless they're replated. Cleaning them is satisfying, but ineffective.

Thanks for the reference... can you recall the name or street address?
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(sww914 @ Feb 24 2010, 07:01 PM) *

Thanks for the compliments, guys. It was a pleasure to finish Rob's car. He is the most appreciative customer ever and I hope the car brings him nothing but joy.
Sounds like a fucking anniversary card but it's true.
I am impressed with the quality of fasteners at Fastenal, FWIW.

Thanks again Steve... don't forget to send me postcard someday!

Here's a pict with the front bumper on...
underthetire
Looking good Rob. I like the twins!
McMark
Thanks for the reference... can you recall the name or street address?

A&A Plating
8290 Alpine Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95826-4748
Phone: 916-442-1063 Fax: 916-442-4779
Email: info@metalfinishinggroup.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.