Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Methanol Injection Turbo Intercooler GURU needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
budman5201
I was considering pure meth injection with a full tune again, but eliminating my intercooler. (PURPOSE is to run normal gas and fill up on 1 gallon of meth every 2-3 tanks.) Also less weight, intercooler, water lines, pump, front heat exchanger, etc...(about 42 lbs total)

please chime in guys that have installed Meth injection on their turbo or supercharged cars and what is the temperature drop?

Can the temp drop be close to my intercooler temp drop? so i wont need the intercooler?

Can the PURE meth injection drop the temp close and have the octance boost make up for the difference in fuel requirement so i can eliminate my need for intercooler?

I run 110 octance right now when i am at 19 lbs boost

I run 91 octane when only 12 lbs boost , both scenarios no prob with engine.

KNOWLEDGE of direct experience needed before i take this step....thanks guys!!

oh also just a note, i am barely on boost once i hit it. ONce i start to hit it, i almost to need to slow down.....DAMN speed limit. 1-2.5 secs each gear, except when on freeway. 5-8 secs on boost at 65mph-95mph
Mike Bellis
I work on Diesel fuel systems for a living. With meth injection you can drop the EGT over 100 degrees. This will save your turbo. You should use both. The engine will make more power with denser air and the increase in power will offset the weight. The rest of your parts will last longer with lower temps.
Andyrew
I agree, Run both.

You can simply run a standard water/meth injection system on top of your current intercooled setup and it would probably be pretty close to being able to run 91 pump on your 19psi setting. With this you would be able to run the standard windshield washer stuff you can find for dirt cheap.
budman5201
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 23 2010, 10:40 PM) *

I agree, Run both.

You can simply run a standard water/meth injection system on top of your current intercooled setup and it would probably be pretty close to being able to run 91 pump on your 19psi setting. With this you would be able to run the standard windshield washer stuff you can find for dirt cheap.

Well i am curious how high i could go with just PURE meth injected before the turbo and at the throttle body with no intercooler....cooling the air coming in and after it gets pressuried also. Lot of drag guys do that and literally their throttle body is icing up....

Andyrew
But why go through that expense? An intercooler is just a great idea.. What happens if your meth system fails? You would probably blow your motor.

Go post on the Evo forums, theres a bunch of guys that run meth there.
budman5201
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Feb 25 2010, 06:34 PM) *

But why go through that expense? An intercooler is just a great idea.. What happens if your meth system fails? You would probably blow your motor.

Go post on the Evo forums, theres a bunch of guys that run meth there.

If the meth system fails, my computer monitors the air temp coming in and AFR and can adjust timing/rpm if it drops to a dangerous level ....so thats not an issue.
DBCooper
Look for posts in the Shoptalk Forums by 55superbeetle, especially THIS ONE. He originally built a turbo Scat Splitport head T4 motor for that car, putting the intercooler inside where the luggage compartment was, with ducting from the outside. Fantastic build, by the way, hugely impressive, Corvette brakes, Superbeetle front suspension, etc, etc.

He was unhappy with the T4 motor so converted to Subaru, and to minimize big changes and the outward appearance he used the former intercooler location for the radiator. The original idea was to use methanol injection to cool the intake charge so he wouldn't need the intercooler at all. It worked but not well, as he said in that thread:

"Went to the strip on wendsday night. Besides the fact that it was literally 112 degrees out it went pretty well. Managed four runs without breaking!!! Downside was intake temps were out of controll. I kept turning up the boost with no increase in trap speed so i was pretty much just pumping hotter air into the poor motor. "

I think his last plans were to put the radiator in the front of the car with an intercooler, or convert to E85. Try contacting him, I think he has the experience you're looking for.
budman5201
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Feb 26 2010, 05:42 AM) *

Look for posts in the Shoptalk Forums by 55superbeetle, especially THIS ONE. He originally built a turbo Scat Splitport head T4 motor for that car, putting the intercooler inside where the luggage compartment was, with ducting from the outside. Fantastic build, by the way, hugely impressive, Corvette brakes, Superbeetle front suspension, etc, etc.

He was unhappy with the T4 motor so converted to Subaru, and to minimize big changes and the outward appearance he used the former intercooler location for the radiator. The original idea was to use methanol injection to cool the intake charge so he wouldn't need the intercooler at all. It worked but not well, as he said in that thread:

"Went to the strip on wendsday night. Besides the fact that it was literally 112 degrees out it went pretty well. Managed four runs without breaking!!! Downside was intake temps were out of controll. I kept turning up the boost with no increase in trap speed so i was pretty much just pumping hotter air into the poor motor. "

I think his last plans were to put the radiator in the front of the car with an intercooler, or convert to E85. Try contacting him, I think he has the experience you're looking for.

thanks man
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.