Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil PSI gauge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wayne1234
the PO had the gauges in the console but not hooked up... he gave ma a dual sender with the car I hooked it up when we put the engine in,,, and it didnt send any signal, so it might be the wrong one or maybe it was just plain defect, either way I hooked up a new factory idiot light sender so I could verify I had oil pressure, which I do, so now I'm trying to decide if I need to run the psi gauge... mine is a stock set up only with carbs and a slight cam. I have read there is a slight issue with the dual sender making the dash light flicker possibly. so I would probably put in a T so I could run the factory light trigger sensor also.... So should I get a single sender for the VDO gauge? are all the VDO senders the same??? This one is amaller because he had a bunch of electrical tape holding it in the rubber ring... I cant raelly read the numbers on the side... just kinda taking a poll do you runa a PSI gauge??? if so did you use 2 senders? if not and are using a dual sender, do you get the flickering light??? Thanks
johnnie5
I run oil pressure (VDO), oil temp (VDO), cylinder head temp (Aircraft Spruce), stock voltmeter and clock.

I Tee'd the pressure sender(s) so I could keep the warning light and have had no problems. It's nice to have gauges...
tradisrad
I use a dual VDO sender for the oil pressure. One wire (stock) to the idiot light and one wire to the pressure gauge. Also have an oil temp with real numbers. I've never had any flickering dahs lights due to the sender. Sorry no P/N. A CHT will be next, I've already run the wires (when I built the car).
I'd highly recommend the the oil pressure gague. I've seen my pressure drop on clover-leaf freeway on ramps.
Cap'n Krusty
The dual sender MUST be grounded through its case.

The Cap'n
SLITS
Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Voltmeter, Clock ... the last two are for fun. I may add a cylinder head temp, but it's a six so ........................
tat2dphreak
yep, I took out the clock and Volt meter, I run oil temp (new gauge with numbers), CHT(not working ATM), and oil pressure.
Elliot Cannon
Oil pressure, oil temp. CHT, voltmeter, verticle speed indicator, attitude indicator, altimeter, RNAV, airspeed indicator, turn coordinator. lol-2.gif
wayne1234
I grounded the dual sensor... at first I had the brass hardpipe, then changed over to the grease gun hose and currently my factory light single sensor is still hooked up with the grease gun hose and it works fine... (it is grounded) so I either got a bad one or it was the wrong one.... if I simply grounded the wire to the gauge when I had it going it would peg... also one of the terminals on the sensor (idiot light) should rest at ground... which would trigger the light with no pressure... mine did not do this.... Believe me it was a frightfull moment when we got the new engine in. We had primed the engine out of the car with the valve covers off so we could see oil travel up, and drain into case... Then I had the =gauge hooked up with light... and we cranked with no gas, and no spark... and it seemed there was no PSI. we took the valve covers off and there was oil there. Then I decided to swap in the single sender.. it was lit with key on, then we cranked and it went off,,, showing it did indeed have oil pressure piratenanner.gif I then rechecked the sender again and it was dead. I guess I should just get a new gauge and sender to make sure they match... Thanks for all the input
markb
Oil pressure, oil temp (with numbers), CHT, & volt (direct to the battery).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.