Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 916 vs. 1972 Dino
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeSpraggi
Maybe this has been posted before in the past, but as I was fantisizing things I would probably never get to see or experience, in a head to head road course event, which one would take the checkered flag? Cars pecs seem pretty close.

916 - 2.4ltr, 190 hp, 159. ft. lbs@5200, wgt - 2000 lbs

1972 Dino, 195 hp, 167 ft. lbs@7600, wgt- 2381 lbs

BTW I absolutely love both biggrin.gif
zymurgist
Wasn't the Dino, in its day, considered a NARF? laugh.gif
URY914
916 would win.

The NARF would break down.
pbanders
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Feb 26 2010, 06:27 AM) *

Yep, because the same engine/tranny was used in the Fiat Dino. The Dino's engine/tranny combo shared the same oil system - something a friend of mine who used to work for Ferrari called "a disaster".

One of my greatest regrets was not having the sense or money to buy an absolutely cherry, perfect 246 with T-tops that was being sold by an exotic car dealership that used to be on El Camino in Palo Alto, near Rickey's Hyatt, back about 1982. The car was too expensive for me - $22,000. Too bad I didn't realize that it was an even better investment than it was as a car!
zymurgist
QUOTE(pbanders @ Feb 26 2010, 08:42 AM) *

Yep, because the same engine/tranny was used in the Fiat Dino. The Dino's engine/tranny combo shared the same oil system - something a friend of mine who used to work for Ferrari called "a disaster".

Gorgeous as it was to look at, the Lamborghini Miura had the same design "feature." I can't imagine why they thought it was a Good Idea to run dirty engine oil through a transmission, or to take a chance on a piece of a synchro working its way into an engine bearing.

One of my greatest regrets was not having the sense or money to buy an absolutely cherry, perfect 246 with T-tops that was being sold by an exotic car dealership that used to be on El Camino in Palo Alto, near Rickey's Hyatt, back about 1982. The car was too expensive for me - $22,000. Too bad I didn't realize that it was an even better investment than it was as a car!

Ouch! headbang.gif

Well, $22K was a lot of money for a used car back in '82.
MikeSpraggi

I didn't think about that .... two NAR*'s competing head to head. I don't think the backlash was quite as bad for the Dino/Ferrari vs. the 914(and variants)/Prosche.
turboman808
Whats funny about the statements about the dino not being a real ferrari is that last I check the Fiat Dino is worth more money then a Ferrari Dino, 308 and Testerosa.
JmuRiz
QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ Feb 26 2010, 06:46 AM) *

I didn't think about that .... two NAR*'s competing head to head. I don't think the backlash was quite as bad for the Dino/Ferrari vs. the 914(and variants)/Prosche.

Oh yeah, it was bad in the Ferrari world...didn't even have a Ferrari badge on the Dino...hence it never was a real Ferrari. The only Ferrari Dino was the 308GT4, but that had a V8 and not the traditional Dino V6 (and 4 seats...in a mid engine car).

Either way, I'd take the 916 in a heartbeat wink.gif
pbanders
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Feb 26 2010, 08:18 AM) *

Whats funny about the statements about the dino not being a real ferrari is that last I check the Fiat Dino is worth more money then a Ferrari Dino, 308 and Testerosa.

... and I can remember seeing those for sale for $15K, too! smile.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 26 2010, 08:51 AM) *

Oh yeah, it was bad in the Ferrari world...didn't even have a Ferrari badge on the Dino...hence it never was a real Ferrari. The only Ferrari Dino was the 308GT4, but that had a V8 and not the traditional Dino V6 (and 4 seats...in a mid engine car).

I would take the Dino anyday!!!!!!!!!!!!
ME733
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 26 2010, 11:02 AM) *

.....................Thats just because you ALREADY HAVE all the 914,s in your collection.
Michael N
Hemmings Sports and Exotics (April 2008) did a comparison of the 914/6 and the Dino. Here are the specs for the stock 914/6 vs. the Dino. The 916 with the 2.4S 190HP and top speed of 145mph, would most likely beat all the Dino's except in the top speed area. I love the look of the Dino but agree with Hemmings that easily the 914/6 is the choice based on repair costs. I like to drive my cars. driving.gif

Click to view attachment
tod914
Dino, definetly my favorite car. Guess that's why I also love the 904 so much. Simular lines. Don't worry if it breaks down or maintenance costs. It's so nice to look at, it doesn't matter if it runs.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(ME733 @ Feb 26 2010, 09:41 AM) *

yes and I hate to rub it in but...........................

.....................Thats just because you ALREADY HAVE all the 914,s in your collection.

Click to view attachment
flat4tom
[quote name='dr914@autoatlanta.com' date='Feb 26 2010, 10:25 AM
[/quote]
Click to view attachment
[/quote]

Very Cool! drooley.gif I'll bet that car doesn't see the sun very often.... driving.gif

Regards,
Tom
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 26 2010, 11:25 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I know George ...... saw it when I came to visit AA aktion035.gif .
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(Michael N @ Feb 26 2010, 09:44 AM) *

Hemmings Sports and Exotics (April 2008) did a comparison of the 914/6 and the Dino. Here are the specs for the stock 914/6 vs. the Dino. The 916 with the 2.4S 190HP and top speed of 145mph, would most likely beat all the Dino's except in the top speed area. I love the look of the Dino but agree with Hemmings that easily the 914/6 is the choice based on repair costs. I like to drive my cars. driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Good point, but from a total enthusiast point of view, the 916 matches up better in price and performance with the 246 IMHO.

Click to view attachment

ME733
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Feb 26 2010, 01:25 PM) *

Click to view attachment

....................Like I said....
Ferg
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Feb 26 2010, 08:18 AM) *

confused24.gif Not the last time I checked, You can still buy a Fiat Dino for <50k, Ferrari Dino is 150k on the low, upper 200's for flares and chairs, mint ect.

Ferg
mepstein
Ferrari - mmmmmmm
As rare as the 916 is, the looks can be cloned for $500 worth of fiberglass. and I believe George said his is a 914-4 vin.

If I had the money, Dino wins, hands down.
Cap'n Krusty
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Floor pan made of fiberglass, attached to the frame with pop rivets. The visibility of a sleeping bag, but at least it's better than a 308. Leather upholstery, sewn together with thread that was made to last weeks. The parts that are still available are expensive and difficult to find. Add that to the PITA of working on it, and you have a thumbs down car. I'm just thankful there's a Ferrari wacko here in town to whom I can send the few that still call. He's rich, and he got that way repairing Ferraris.

The Cap'n
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 26 2010, 12:00 PM) *

Ferrari - mmmmmmm
As rare as the 916 is, the looks can be cloned for $500 worth of fiberglass. and I believe George said his is a 914-4 vin.

If I had the money, Dino wins, hands down.

I was just KIDDING! Anyone who posts here would rather have a 916 than some spaghetti car!!!!!!!!!! I already have one.
What I was talking about with the car is that the 916 cars were all prototypes so probably built from the four bodies. All 10 have a 916 serial number stamped onto the fender well and the plates on the headlight box and karman in the jamb, and mine is the only one with the windshield post 916 serial number there. I said ten because David Hertzburg's car (the very first one) has a 914-6 serial number
GeorgeRud
They may not be "real" Ferraris, but they sure are pretty. The Italian styling houses do know how to put a nice design into sheetmetal.

I find it amazing that the 914 shape was considered very boxy and unattractive when they were new, but now have aged quite well when compared to several other designs of the time (an original 240Z, Jensen Healy, or Triumph just haven't done so well).
Dave_Darling
IIRC, the 916 was designed specifically to be a Dino-beater. So for performance, the 916 would be the way to go. Ditto for parts availability, for working on it, for reliability, for exclusivity...

That said, the 246 is an amazingly gorgeous car, and the Ferrari cachet makes up for a lot of shortcomings in many eyes!

Which would I personally rather have? I'd rather have Sir Aaahndy's 914-6 conversion!! biggrin.gif

--DD
My neighbor had one in 1974,When she started it wow what a sound,but the tow truck was there many,many times.Cool looking car.One of my clients bought a 1971 Daytona Spyder Convertible new for 24K.Over the years he's only put on it 19kmiles.After Enzo F. died the car was worth 1M+,today about 400-500K.Not a shabby investment.
tuff914
Pretty much this battle was done by "Sports Car International" (SCI) when they
were around. 1970 914/6 from TRE and a private owned 1973 Dino 246 GTS from
a David Steel.
I downloaded the article a few years ago whether its still on line I don't know seen
SCI is no more.
By the way the 914 won on all counts except styling.
The article was called "Black Sheep" author Zachary Mayne.
Hope this helps
cheers
John
KaptKaos
QUOTE(pbanders @ Feb 26 2010, 05:42 AM) *

Yep, because the same engine/tranny was used in the Fiat Dino.

And this:

IPB Image
jmill
I always thought the Dino looked like a tree frog. confused24.gif

geniusanthony
I dig the Stratus more than the Ferrari though. I remember the Alitalia rally car from my youth. Can't find a pic.
turboman808
QUOTE(esses62 @ Feb 26 2010, 12:54 PM) *

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Feb 26 2010, 10:18 AM) *

I think Nate has been drinking too many Moretti beer3.gif

no way is a fiat dino worth more than a Ferrari Dino chair.gif

opps my mistake
geniusanthony
Found one
Click to view attachment
TJB/914
Dino Ferrari's are beautiful. pray.gif

Tom
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Feb 26 2010, 08:04 PM) *

I dig the Stratus more than the Ferrari though. I remember the Alitalia rally car from my youth. Can't find a pic.

That would be "Stratos".

The Cap'n
TJB/914
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Feb 26 2010, 08:14 PM) *

Dino Ferrari's are beautiful. pray.gif

Tom

Dino, better in Red. wub.gif

Tom
pbanders
Anyone have a shot of a Dino with T-tops? Very 914'ish.
smg914
Click to view attachment
geniusanthony
Thanks Cap, tis a Jack Daniels Friday.
number6
Her rear is magnificent!

I wub.gif the earlier 206.

My old business partner had a 246 with a built motor putting out 272hp - that thing was a hoot! The sound track was sensational! And the car was actually reliable. Of course, given how much he spent on it, it had better be. The motor build (done some 15 years ago) was ~$40K, IIRC.

Head leans towards the Porsche (if it's a 914-6GT - I'm not a fan of the 916 styling, personally).
Heart lusts for the Dino.
In this case, for me, heart wins hands down.
number6
A couple 246 GTS cars, as requested:
number6
Here's a '68 206 GT. 1 of 7 with the 2-piece targa top. Kinda best of GT + GTS.
number6
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Feb 26 2010, 08:19 PM) *

QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Feb 26 2010, 08:04 PM) *

That would be "Stratos".

The Cap'n

The Stratus can prolly give both of these cars a run for their money! Especially with vertical doors! icon8.gif

(No offense to any Stratus DD owners smile.gif )
zymurgist
QUOTE(number6 @ Feb 27 2010, 01:38 AM) *

Here's a '68 206 GT. 1 of 7 with the 2-piece targa top. Kinda best of GT + GTS.

Italian sheetmetal is teh sexay. wub.gif
carr914
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Feb 26 2010, 09:18 AM) *

Ouch! headbang.gif

Well, $22K was a lot of money for a used car back in '82.

$22k was a lot of money for a New car in '82
ME733
QUOTE(smg914 @ Feb 27 2010, 12:30 AM) *

.............well to me it,s just a bit unfinished.If it had clear(glass/plexiglass) tapered HEADLIGHT covers...(like the 904 porsche)....I think it would look more finished, more aerodynaamic,and frankly more refined-Italian design wise. It is however a beautiful car. I also do not believe the 916 could be beaten on any roadcourse(by the dino) simply due to the construction, engineering,rigidity,durability wheelbase, track,,and especially the reliable engine..(and the photograph IS representative of most ferrari drivers I,ve met...have no clue where to put the wheels..on the street OR track.)....M.M.
Rav914
Anyone ever driven a Dino? I got to drive a 308 for a short distance and it was the most uncomfortable beast I'd ever been in. I'm wondering if the Dino shares the complete lack of ergonomics.

But...they do look sweet.
type47fan
biggrin.gif

effutuo101
when I was a kid, my uncle had a couple of dino's. They where beautiful! Like a beautiful woman, good lines make it hard not to stare.
My uncle also told me that he maybe only got 1 drive to the 10 that you would get in a 911, but that one was worth the 10 in a 911.
MikeSpraggi
Although no real comparion to the 206-246 Dino .... this is what really got me into 914s. I couldn't afford a real one, so I picked up on some of the same qualities in the 914. The Dino was just plain sexy.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

agentblr
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Feb 27 2010, 07:58 AM) *

Anyone ever driven a Dino? I got to drive a 308 for a short distance and it was the most uncomfortable beast I'd ever been in. I'm wondering if the Dino shares the complete lack of ergonomics.

But...they do look sweet.

My brother has an 83 308 GTS, I compare it to driving a lowered International Scout....Of course the the 308 has a better soundtrack but that's about it !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.