Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche 918 Spyder (New hybrid prototype)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
PeeGreen 914
Just use 911 headers
kharma
IPB Image

I like it... just clean the back up a lil
plymouth37

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTqWDR2X_SA
Katmanken
Looks like they tried a "son of the return of the wheel covers" look. But updated in a clear dreamy sorta way.

Here is one older version on a Porsche 935...

PeeGreen 914
I may be wrong...and generally am, but I thought the wheel covers on Moby where to direct air to the brakes
Katmanken
Yeah but they sorta "look" like racing wheel covers.

There is some detail in the radial troughs that run under the transparent disks.

Might be for show, maybe for go.

On Moby, I believe the thinking was to use the spinning wheel covers as radial "pumps" to suck air through the brakes, and centripitally sling the hot air out of the radial exits around the periphery of the wheel. Must not have worked that great as they are no longer in use.

With the hole in the middle of the 918 transparent disks, if the wheels spin, the air is sucked into the center of the transparent disk (at the hub) and exits from the vents near the tires. Might cool the wheel.
MDG
Unless I'm mistaken, and like Jon claims, I often am, the ones on this 918 appear flat much like the ones used in F1 until recently. I thought the idea behind those was to direct the airflow past the wheels for aerodynamic reasons. confused24.gif
byndbad914
okay, first off I hate pretty much anything Porsche has done in awhile from that Panamera barf.gif to the Cayenne, etc etc...

BUT THAT IS FRICKEN AWESOME LOOKING

Don't know what I think of the hybrid design yet since I haven't looked into it yet.

And unlike many of you, I like all that shit on it shades.gif I think the rear looks cool, I like the spoiler with the center supports placement, even the big wheels.

As for the air scoops, yeah, those look dopey as someone mentioned, but clearly a designer there had a pic of the old VonK car lol-2.gif Exactly the first thing I thought of given they are nearly identical shape! Back to the Future hahaha.

Click to view attachment

I must say, this may actually be a Porsche I would buy in the future, and from me, that is honestly saying a LOT for that car.
ArtechnikA
Maybe it will gain some refinement as it nears reality.
The midships-beltline sidepipes will never fly.

I am underwhelmed by any 'plug-in hybrid' with a 16-mile range. That
clearly falls into the 'WTF is the point' category. Look for that to
come up and the performance numbers to fade.

I was also seriously underwhelmed by the weight - they ran past '1950
kg' pretty quickly - 4300 lb !

The styling - well - it's a Boxster redrawn by a serious animé fan
with more grilles, slats, and gratuitous spines than a Transformer (®
Hasbro Corporation...)

Somebody at Porsche said 'Quick - we gotta have a hybrid! What's in
the leftovers box?'
lotus_65
i am so in lust for unobtanium.

still, a reason to work harder!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.