Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to keep/get Calif 914s' Old Original Plates ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Tom_T
QUOTE(jjbunn @ Mar 30 2010, 10:46 PM) *

Useful thread, Tom!

The original blue plates are still on my '74 and are current. However, they are in pretty tatty condition, especially the front plate, which looks like it's been hit by a stone at some point: half the blue paint is gone, it's rusty etc..

Is there somewhere that will make legitimate new blue plates, do you know? Or perhaps refinish them?

Julian

Julian - check with Michael N here at the link below, as he had some Blue/Golds made out of his 74 914 LE personalized white plates somewhere, so maybe they could redo yours.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=2164

Post the company info here too if he knows, so we can all get at it if ours are needed to be remade.

Otherwise, You could get a match exterior enamel in the proper Blue & Gold/Yellow & repaint them yourself, which is what I was planning to do to touch up mine after removing the oxidation.
smile.gif
ericread
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 5 2010, 03:38 PM) *

Another good thing which fortunately is national with AAA - IIRC - is getting their Premier or whatever their top "Membership" is, so you get their 200 mi & 100 mi towing coverage!
biggrin.gif

Nicely said Tom.

When I started driving between Las Vegas and Irvine, I also upped my AAA membership to include the 100 mile tow. I didn't go with the 200 mile tow as it only includes one 200 mile tow per year, and for the additional cost, it didn't seem that cost effective.

Eric
Tom_T
QUOTE(ericread @ Mar 31 2010, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 5 2010, 03:38 PM) *

Another good thing which fortunately is national with AAA - IIRC - is getting their Premier or whatever their top "Membership" is, so you get their 200 mi & 100 mi towing coverage!
biggrin.gif

Nicely said Tom.

When I started driving between Las Vegas and Irvine, I also upped my AAA membership to include the 100 mile tow. I didn't go with the 200 mile tow as it only includes one 200 mile tow per year, and for the additional cost, it didn't seem that cost effective.

Eric

Eric, I started that when we used to take our kids in the 88 Westy every summer on a long trip back east or up to WA, etc. & back then they only had the 7 x 100 mi set-up per year. In 99 we blew a softball sized hole in the top of the waterboxer's case at midnight between Daggett & Zzzzyx in the middle of friggin nowhere with 2 young kids! We had to break it into 2 - 100 mile tows from there to my mechanic Hans Imports in Huntington Beach - with an overnight in Fontana. So I jumped on the next step for at least one 200 mi tow per year when it became an options.

BTW folks - another set of benefits of the upgraded AAA Plus & Premier memberships, is that now they give you a complimentary 1 day basic car rental, trip interruption insurance to cover hotel & meals if your stuck waiting for a shop to fix the car (we had 5 days/nights in lovely Kingman AZ back in 92, & a few other 1-2 nighters over the years), plus if you need to continue the trip - it covers a rental car to continue on & return to get your car later! biggrin.gif

But note that you go out of pocket for these expenses, then have to apply for reimbursement within a short 30 or 90 day window thereafter (I missed the widow once dry.gif )!

So if you breakdown going to WCR or Route 66 etc., then you can at least continue driving-girl.gif driving.gif with the gang in a rental dawg, but at least you're there! laugh.gif
SLITS
Because of Tom, I took the DMV on over my '74 with Blue Plates. From the paperwork, I guess they did it YOM.

First, she said I couldn't do it because it was newer than '69 so I showed her a printout of the "new rules" (from what had been posted).

I had to do a couple of things:

1.) Had to sign a statement that I was a "Collector" of these fine German Windsuckers.
2.) Had to sign that I would not display the plates on the vehicle until approved by Sac-o-potatos.
3.) Had to sign that it was unmodified (I didn't modify it so I signed it).
4.) Have to get a VIN verification and they gave me a 30 days operating permit .
5.) I had the Pink Slip, Last Registration, both plates (last registration was 1989).

Took a little time and we'll see what Arnie says. I had already checked that the plates had not been re-assigned.
Tom_T
QUOTE(SLITS @ Mar 31 2010, 04:01 PM) *

Because of Tom, I took the DMV on over my '74 with Blue Plates. From the paperwork, I guess they did it YOM.

First, she said I couldn't do it because it was newer than '69 so I showed her a printout of the "new rules" (from what had been posted).

I had to do a couple of things:

1.) Had to sign a statement that I was a "Collector" of these fine German Windsuckers.
2.) Had to sign that I would not display the plates on the vehicle until approved by Sac-o-potatos.
3.) Had to sign that it was unmodified (I didn't modify it so I signed it).
4.) Have to get a VIN verification and they gave me a 30 days operating permit .
5.) I had the Pink Slip, Last Registration, both plates (last registration was 1989).

Took a little time and we'll see what Arnie says. I had already checked that the plates had not been re-assigned.

av-943.gif
I hope to hear the whole sad story at G&R - headbang.gif
... hopefully with a happy ending & not a sheeplove.gif (sheep shanking)!!!!

I cannot do my own yet cuz it ain't close to running, & I'm sure they'll want to so a personal inspectie-poo of it after sittin' in my garage since 85! dry.gif

Glad to hear this info I researched for mine, is helping somebody out! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.