Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 tranny questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brett W
What is involved in running a 915 behind a V8. I know you either have to flip the ring and pinion or run the tranny up side down. Is that possible? What are the good options for shifting one?

What are decent used ones going for? How much will I have to throw at one to freshen it up? What gear ratios are available stock? What years should I look for? I need something that can handle a LS1 on steroids.
rick 918-S
Great Q's... I may need to look at that option next year myself.
boxstr
Brett from what B told me is that the 915 can be used and is probably the best choice, short of a 930 Turbo 4 spd and or a Pantera gearbox.
I would suggest contacting Brad with a PM and asking him some of the questions you have posed here.
Or you might find more answers in the Archives??
I personally will use the 915 gear box with the Wevo rear cover setup, $$$$ yes I am already prepared for that but I feel the V8 914 conversion weak link is the trans , so lets just get that out of the way and have fun.
CCLIN915V8914
jridder
Most people don't recommend the 915 with V8's. The torque capacity vs. a 901/914 isn't that much better. If you are making big power, you should just skip the 915 and go for a 930. The cost is probably about the same. There are a couple of 914 V8's in the Bay Area with Pantera transaxles. A nice choice but hard to find.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brett W @ Mar 27 2004, 06:55 AM)
What is involved in running a 915 behind a V8. I know you either have to flip the ring and pinion or run the tranny up side down. Is that possible? What are the good options for shifting one?

yupp, 915 is the easiest. just flip the ring & pinion ...
930 is a bit more work. it's either upside/down or machine/casework.

Andy
PS: what's really weird with those, if you don't have a limited slip, it'll spin the right (pass) tire instead of the left (driver side).
feels "wrong" for the first few days. cool.gif (cause i'm used to braking loose on left turns, not right turns) ...
neo914-6
Brad is a good source for information as is Renegade Hybrids, and Kennedy Engineering. Decide what you kind of car you want and do your research. Match the transmission, CV/axles, traction, and braking power to the engine power.
LS6/914
If you are heading the LS1 route and can make it fit source a 930 tranny. A 915 will work however when you pass 500hp/400lb.ft torque the advantage of the stronger 930 is the better option. Iam just finishing a Lingenfelter head 302 w/ a 915 for a customer. It will use a cable shift. Iam certain that come fall I will be sourcing a 930 for a upgrade.
Rgreen914
LS6/914

Your club moniker always intrigues me and I picture a teener with a big block sticking out of the engine bay, forgetting that Chevy has resurrected some important names/numbers from out of their past! How old are your LPE heads? Just wondering if things have changed much for the company since John died last year; I'm also wondering if they will continue to live up to his high standards.
914gem
Richard Fisher from Plano Tx has been running a 915 behind a high horse SB for a few years. You can find him through Rich Johnson at a914guy@aol.com. They can fill you in on all your answers and cost.
Brad Roberts
I sold Richard his 915 several years back. He has broken it at least twice behind his 450hp SBC. He used the Vellios kit and the RHS tall R+P.

1st gear in the 915 hangs off the end just like a 901/914 box. The ratios are kinda weird for a V8. First is too short and second is almost too tall.

When time/money permits I will have WEVO fired up again to cast us a new end cover for the 930 box like they did for the 915. I also spoke on Friday to a fellow who can make us new R+P's for G50 boxes (so we can run them mid-engine without flipping them.)

I think the 915 works fine behind a 400-450hp SBC. You just cant beat on 1st gear. Ratios are readily available.. WEVO has THE mid-engine shifting solution for it... RHS has TALL R+P sets for sale.

Making the 930 box work is a royal pain in the ass until we have a mid-engine shift solution.

B
Brett W
One of my problems with the Turbo tranny is it is a Four speed. I want to be able to get in and drive to california and have a solid over drive. I was talking to a friend of mine that is putting Ls1-Ls6 engines in 2nd and third gen RX7s and he gets to use the nice T56 6speed tranny. He says he can pull 28-30mpg on the high way. That is the reason I want to use the 915.

I have a friend that is building a 352 from a 400 block and 302 crank figuring about 600hp, but very little torque. something like that should work well with the 915.

What is the story on the G50? Brad what does the WEVO kit go for?
jridder
"Over drive" is meaningless. 3rd and 4th gear on a 930 ARE "overdrive". So what. What matters is the total drive ratio in each gear. A stock 930 has a lower high gear (4th) than a 915 (5th).
Brad Roberts
WEVO shift pieces for the 915 run 1800$.

Ridder is correct (Brett knows this, but probably didnt know the 930 final ratios)

Brett, a 930 box turns about 2400 RPM at 75 with a 23/24 inch tall tire (not doing the math..just recalling what I normally see) With the torque of a SBC you can run around town in 2nd gear all day and make 140mph blasts in 4th.

B
seanery
you guys are making me crazy with all this V8 talk. I've gotta build a hotrod before I start tearing up a perfectly good 914! wacko.gif
Brad Roberts
I have been making 125mph blasts up and down 101 while tuning the injection on the green car I posted about. The Woodside to 101 ramp is semi long with a S turn leading onto the straight portion of the ramp. The car will be at 130mph before the end of the ramp if I exit the S correctly. I was actually testing the new Tarret sway bar through the S when this happened.

Lyressa's car will get a LS1 engine when we recover from my F-up.

B
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 27 2004, 10:45 PM)
I also spoke on Friday to a fellow who can make us new R+P's for G50 boxes (so we can run them mid-engine without flipping them.)

Making the 930 box work is a royal pain in the ass until we have a mid-engine shift solution.

B

Please tell me the G50 pieces are going to be not expensive... ohmy.gif

Oh yah, I still owe you drawings. My notes were written in Chrisese laugh.gif

Chris
chunger
What's the best current solution to the 930 shifter problem? Been out of the loop for a while. . . come back and people have G50's reversed, new big brakes for 4 lug hubs, and people stuffing alien 928 motors in. Didn't get a chance to play with Renegade's cable shifter at the fun run, but the helper spring--assisted clutch felt slick on the orange car. .. i.e. wife could push the pedal unlike Hatfield's silver car. Figure hydralic could accomplish the same mechanical advantage with the right lever lengths/cylinder sizes.

At the rate my project is going though I could probably wait for the Wevo castings. . . . just like I could have waited for the 74's to be smog exempt.

-'Chung
JWest
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Mar 28 2004, 12:45 AM)
1st gear in the 915 hangs off the end just like a 901/914 box.

5th hangs off the end in the 915. 1st is closest to the final drive.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.