Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rover V8 bench start - video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cheapsnake
After months of teardown, cleaning, machining, fabricating, replacing and tweaking I finally got to the point of lighting the fire. I did a bench start so I could locate and fix any bugs out in the open vs in the car. Turns out it started and ran so nicely it was almost anticlimatic. However, anybody that's ever done a first start after a rebuild, especially a highly modified rebuild knows what a gut-wrenching experience it is and what a thrill it is when it actually starts and runs!!!

OK, so here's the spec's: Rover 3.5 block and rotating assembly, 4.0 heads and headers (higher compression and better breathing), Crane 282* cam, Buick 215 oil pan, timing cover and intake manifold, Rochester Quadrajet carb, remote CSR water pump. Note that the distributor and coil are there just for the bench start. Once in the car an EDIS/Megajolt ignition system will take over the firing duties, saves a good 1" clearance between the firewall and distributor, plus it delivers much more accurate timing. Here goes:

IPB Image

Tom
Cheapsnake
OK, finally got the video fixed.
Rod
Love the "YEAH!! aktion035.gif " at the end. Good work sounded sweet and started well - I changed the HGaskets on one of these for a friend the other day whilst in the car - god, you're lucky doing it on a stand headbang.gif

Good solid engines - bizarre than an American is fitting a 'Rover' engine (nee Buick) - all I want is a small block Ford or Chevy to tinker with..

rick 918-S
aktion035.gif Ya!
Cheapsnake
QUOTE(Rod @ Mar 3 2010, 09:03 AM) *

Good solid engines - bizarre than an American is fitting a 'Rover' engine (nee Buick) - all I want is a small block Ford or Chevy to tinker with..

Sometimes life plays cruel jokes on us, but if you had the Rover and I had the SBC what fun would that be? beerchug.gif

Tom
codices
Tom,

Good video. Get your radiator set up with a box fan in front of the radiator and you should be able to put more time on the engine before the install. If you do that make sure you have a water temp gauge hitched up.

I'm coming along with mine but it has been slow due to cold weather and the upcoming hip replacement surgery for my wife.

Keep letting us know what is happening. A great encouragement for those of us with the same engine conversion.

Dave
sean_v8_914
Bravo Zulu!
JRust
Kick ASS Tom aktion035.gif . Love it man. Congrats biggrin.gif
Gint
Love the vid! smilie_pokal.gif
computers4kids
Welcome to the dark side piratenanner.gif
Cheapsnake
Thanks guys, we V8 guys need a little victory every now and then to keep us going. I've done several projects before, including a Cobra replica, but nothing has frustrated (or satisfied) me as much as this V8 conversion. Everything is a prototype design. To that end, if anybody needs pics or other info on anything relating to the conversion, say the word.

Tom
streetrover
XLNT !!! Great work Tom! Yes, every little step for we V8 guys is a cause for celebration. I posted a few new pix on the Buick/Rover thread I started. Have a look a my FLYWHEEL !!!

Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.