Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wish my brain would stop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
I was thinking, with the limited/no availability of parts for the D-jets, what could we do? For me, no problem, aftermarket FI. I don't care too much about being original. But the other guys that want to keep the stock look... I'm sure the Megasquirt computer would fit in the D-jet brain box very easy. You could I think use the factory harness to the box, and even the factory connector, just some wiring in the box from the factory plug to the MS unit. I think you could even use the stock FI points to trigger if you wanted too by adding a pull-up resistor inside the box. Next was the MPS unit. I think it would be pretty easy to install the GM 3.5 bar map sensor INSIDE the old MPS unit, and use the existing vacuum source and plug. It might be even possible to get the GM TPS under the plastic stock throttle position switch cover, and use that connector. The head temp sensor is a no brainer, so is the air temp sensor. You don't really need a O2 sensor, even though it is nice to have. The rest of the stuff for the Djet could be just left in place for cosmetic reasons at this point. Might even be able to use the stock mixture knob with a pot under it to sorta control mixture, using it as a kind of manual O2 sensor. Dam my brain wacko.gif
Solo914
QUOTE(underthetire @ Mar 4 2010, 08:34 AM) *

I was thinking, with the limited/no availability of parts for the D-jets, what could we do? For me, no problem, aftermarket FI. I don't care too much about being original. But the other guys that want to keep the stock look... I'm sure the Megasquirt computer would fit in the D-jet brain box very easy. You could I think use the factory harness to the box, and even the factory connector, just some wiring in the box from the factory plug to the MS unit. I think you could even use the stock FI points to trigger if you wanted too by adding a pull-up resistor inside the box. Next was the MPS unit. I think it would be pretty easy to install the GM 3.5 bar map sensor INSIDE the old MPS unit, and use the existing vacuum source and plug. It might be even possible to get the GM TPS under the plastic stock throttle position switch cover, and use that connector. The head temp sensor is a no brainer, so is the air temp sensor. You don't really need a O2 sensor, even though it is nice to have. The rest of the stuff for the Djet could be just left in place for cosmetic reasons at this point. Might even be able to use the stock mixture knob with a pot under it to sorta control mixture, using it as a kind of manual O2 sensor. Dam my brain wacko.gif

Some miata guys have done this, desoldered the stock wiring plug in the stock case and then fit the megasquirt motherboard in and wired it up. Obviously there is alot of homework involved but it can be done. In terms of size, the miata ecu case is smaller than the 914 case, so the megasquirt should fit.

K
Randal

Having gone through the nosebleed to put on aftermarket fuel injection, the one thing I'd want to do first is to decide which ECU to use. And that decision would be directly tied to who has mapped that ECU and how many people have/are running with that mapping. You want to be sure you are getting a solid map, for your engine type and configuration.

All the other stuff is mechanical and can be dealt with one step at a time.

underthetire
QUOTE(Randal @ Mar 4 2010, 08:53 AM) *

Having gone through the nosebleed to put on aftermarket fuel injection, the one thing I'd want to do first is to decide which ECU to use. And that decision would be directly tied to who has mapped that ECU and how many people have/are running with that mapping. You want to be sure you are getting a solid map, for your engine type and configuration.

All the other stuff is mechanical and can be dealt with one step at a time.

Actually-electrical poke.gif
I like the MS systems for the price and flexibility, but I see where your coming from. I don't really have the need to actually build a ghost set up, but that long drive to work makes the mind wander.
wayne1234
Man I am thinking of going mega squirt too, I I have started looking at the forums, and my head is spinning. I had a holly projection once, that is the only aftermarket FI I have ever messed with.
McMark
My MicroSquirt setup is almost ready for prime time. I have one more part that I'm getting waterjet cut and then I'll have everything for a super high quality, bolt on aftermarket FI system with COP ignition. boldblue.gif
McMark
Oh, and Dave Hunt did the Incognito MegaSquirt before. IIRC, he said it was an enormous PITA.
Tom_T
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 4 2010, 10:23 AM) *

Oh, and Dave Hunt did the Incognito MegaSquirt before. IIRC, he said it was an enormous PITA.

But Mark - if YOU could perfect that stealth upgrade of the D-jet - & also solve the air volume limitation of the D-jet/throttle body that I'd heard is what limits the 2.0's performance using the D-jet in a way not visible from the outside - then we originality freaks can go buy an "extra" D-jet to convert for a "stealth" 2056 or 2270 with better HP/TQ than with the stock EFI!
biggrin.gif

Don't tell Pat Garvey if you do though, cuz he'll bust us all! laugh.gif
.... just poke.gif at ya Pat! biggrin.gif
Tom_T

Hey - I like your thinking, cuz I'm one who would like the hotter performance of a 2056 or 2270 come the next needed engine overhaul, but want to keep mine at least looking correct if I want to concours show it, but would get another D-jet to modify & just store my original one! biggrin.gif

Hmmmm idea.gif ...... looks like a D-jet, but runs trouble free with better HP & TQ - No Brainer! w00t.gif

What about that EFI that Jake Raby uses on his 2270's etc.?? confused24.gif
.... or is that the Mega squirt? confused24.gif
underthetire
QUOTE(McMark @ Mar 4 2010, 10:23 AM) *

Cool, I never saw that one. Just like the picture I had in my head.
Dr Evil
The idea would be best in states with draconian smog laws, like CA. Many have talked about it, Dave did it, I would be all over it if I lived in CA and owned a 76. You could totally tweak it to run cleaner for the sniff tests happy11.gif
DNHunt
I did it. It was a pain. I included a wide band O2 sensor in the ECU box too. The biggest problem was cramming all of the wires into the stock connector. Dave Darling bought it at the auction for WCR 06 in Portland. I don't know if he ever got it going.

Dave
Tom_T
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 4 2010, 11:23 AM) *

The idea would be best in states with draconian smog laws, like CA. Many have talked about it, Dave did it, I would be all over it if I lived in CA and owned a 76. You could totally tweak it to run cleaner for the sniff tests happy11.gif

In CA it's also useful for the 70-75's in any variety (assuming it can be done for 1.7's & 1.8's as well as the 2.0's), because IIRC the Smog Exemptions for 75 & earlier technically only applies to unaltered vehicles & a CHP or DMV inspection would turn up an obvious mod, as well as the long dreaded stealth roadside "sniff tests"

BTW DMV has already started test programs with those roadside tests - eeeakk!! huh.gif
WTF.gif

DMV has proposed getting rid of the problematic indy test-only stations because those tests have turned up a bunch of 76+ vehicles out of compliance just days/weeks after they passed the "official" re-registration bi-annual smog test!

So you CA Teeners with modded engines will need to start to be on the look-out, cuz they're using unmarked vans/trucks with the test eqpt. on them! Then they can slap you with $1000s in fines & penalties, plus force you to take it off the road or return it to stock!!!! yikes.gif

I'm sure what they're thinking: What a great way to fill the state's budget shortfall - fine the "violators" - & are using that to justify spending millions-$ on this test program!! dry.gif

shades.gif Obviously - Stealth is the way to go in CA folks! alien.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Mar 4 2010, 12:04 PM) *

I did it. It was a pain. I included a wide band O2 sensor in the ECU box too. The biggest problem was cramming all of the wires into the stock connector. Dave Darling bought it at the auction for WCR 06 in Portland. I don't know if he ever got it going.

Dave

Dave -

I read your post on it & the PITA was a lot more than it was worht for $$'s - unless a wet t-shirt babe with a smile (not more!!?? WTF) - but that "value" & your price may change for the better as CA & WA & other "smog conscious states" start enforcing on older cars.

Add to that that the Obama Admin & Congress want to model a national law after CA's AB32 Carbon controls & other air quality laws - so it will eventually go national I'm sure!

Between that & replacement unavailability - between yourself, McMark, underthetire & other EFI gurus on here - you may just find that stealth EFI's will become a profitable if not booming business for the older collector cars! biggrin.gif

The old clunkers not collector material will just get junked &/or turned in for the cash-for-clunkers programs like CA has had for older cars that don't pass the smog test. IIRC they pay up to $1000 to take them off the road, in order for CARB to help meet the Federal EPA's smog rules as needed to maintain Federal transportation funding.

BTW - they'd still have to meet the emissions sniff tests up to the MY vehicles where the ECU can be directly monitored digitally (`92 +/- IIRC)

IIRC they have similarly restrictive rules & programs up in the Pungent Sound area, don't they? confused24.gif

Time to get to work on improving it again DAve & all! shades.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Mar 4 2010, 03:04 PM) *

Dave

agree.gif

I had my SDS in a stock can, still have the can but I had to cut the bottom out of it for the connectors. It worked OK but would I do it again 100% positively NO !
Too much of a PITA, I'd put it behind the passanger seat.

That said I think a Weber carbed hotrod 3.0 /6 just sounds sexier. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.