Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BenNC
Hi folks, I need some help.

I just upgraded my '74 1.8L with a '73 2.0L engine. I transferred everything from the donor car with the exception of the fuel pump and the main wiring harness.

The engine was running when I took it out of the donor, but of course not now. I'm not getting any fuel and I can't hear the pump when I have the ignition on. I do however hear a clicking noise from one of the relays when the power is on.

I'm going to try the fuel pump from the '73, but I wanted to see what else I should check.

Thanks,

Ben
SirAndy
fuses. maybe a cable came lose while switching engines ...
check and see if the pump gets power, if yes, the pump is dead or you're out of fuel :-) also, i don't think the 2.0l and 1.8l pumps were the same, IIRC.
BenNC
Thanks Andy.

Do you have any ideas about the clicking relay? It just doesn't sound right.
Porsche Rescue
My guess is that it is not the pump but a wiring issue. I believe the L-jet system in a 1.8 turns on the pump only with air flowing through the air flow meter while cranking. D-jet is powered with the ignition. If you have L-jet wiring/relays the pump is not turning on with ignition like it should on D-jet. Sorry, I don't know how to fix it (maybe just a hot wire from ignition to pump) but someone on this board will.
Dave_Darling
First, check the fuses on the relay board. Then make sure that the relays are installed. The D-jet EFI needs two of the relays to run, the L-jet needs none.

The D-jet ECU runs the fuel pump, by way of the fuel pump relay on the relay board.

Which wiring harness did you not get? There are several on the car--the main body wiring harness, the alternator harness, the "engine" harness (mostly just the distributor wires and oil pressure sender wire), and the FI harness. You need the correct FI harness; I think you can swap the others around for the most part. (You may have to adapt some stuff if you use the "wrong" engine harness.) Bowlsby knows about the harnesses the best.

--DD
BenNC
The part that I kept is the portion coming from the firewall aft. All of the harnesses that were a part of the engine including the relay board came from the donor car.

Today I hard wired the pump and got nothing, so I'm working on that theory for now.

I did some repairs to the wiring where it was fire damaged, so I don't have a lot of confidence in that either.

Thanks
gocubs914
have had my pump simply stiick. beat on it from inside the spare tire well.seriously! it has worked for me. or maybe i just had a bad ground.
BenNC
I actually got the advice to try "percussive engineering" from a friend. smash.gif

Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but that's next.
Lawrence
Hey Ben? A quick suggestion:

Pull the fuel pump, dry it off. Get some electrical leads and run 12v/ground right to the pump to see if it's working. I wouldn't run it more than a second or two with no fuel inside, though.

-Rusty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.