Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring MSD 6AL to 3.0 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bag5rcg
Hi Gang,

Has anybody out there wired up an MSD 6AL to a 3.0 6 with a regulated alternator?....I am afraid to play too hard with it because I don't want to start burning up components blowup.gif during the effort which would lead to chasing several problems rather than one.

I also cannot get my car to do ANYTHING with the relay board attached WTF.gif headbang.gif wacko.gif ....I am playing with the idea of bypassing the relay board all together by replacing the female style plug (on the engine side) with a male style plug that would plug into the chassis plug directly idea.gif ....
Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated..This is the very last engineering hurdle in a 4 year restore/6 conversion

Thanks
Justinp71
I did this last year with a internal regulated alternator. I'm not sure why it makes a difference? I thought you just connect power up to MSD and then plug the dizzy into the port on the MSD... I can take a better look tonight and let you know...

also I have seen the relay boards removed on cars with internally regulated alternators...
SirAndy
No more relay board ...

I used a conversion harness from Patrick Motorsports. It directly connects the engine harness to the body harness plug that normally goes to the relay board.

driving.gif Andy

IPB Image
bag5rcg
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 8 2010, 01:35 PM) *

I did this last year with a internal regulated alternator. I'm not sure why it makes a difference? I thought you just connect power up to MSD and then plug the dizzy into the port on the MSD... I can take a better look tonight and let you know...

also I have seen the relay boards removed on cars with internally regulated alternators...

Dizzy?????...Is that an add on module?
SirAndy
QUOTE(bag5rcg @ Mar 8 2010, 01:00 PM) *

Dizzy = Distributor

shades.gif Andy
70_914

QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Mar 8 2010, 01:35 PM) *

Dizzy = Distributor

I have hooked 6AL boxes up to VW's with generators and external regulators, VW's with internally regulated alternators, Fords with internally and externally regulated alternators. The MSD box does not care. If you look at the voltage specs it is good from, IIRC, 9-17 volts. They also have a nice fuse built in to protect it. Plug and Play!

Jeffs9146
No more relay board ...

I used a conversion harness from Patrick Motorsports. It directly connects the engine harness to the body harness plug that normally goes to the relay board.

Is that something I should get for my 3.0L that I am putting into the 6?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 8 2010, 01:16 PM) *

No more relay board ...

It made for a much cleaner install. thumb3d.gif

Call PMS and see if they make one for your application. Just make sure you double check the connectors/wires before you plug it in.

They had two wires mixed up on mine ...
dry.gif Andy
bag5rcg
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Mar 8 2010, 02:08 PM) *

Dizzy = Distributor

shades.gif Andy

slap.gif biggrin.gif Thanks
Justinp71
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 8 2010, 01:16 PM) *

No more relay board ...

If your running carbs I wouldn't bother, the only connections on my carbed motor are to the alternator and the dizzy. If you're running CIS you might consider it if patricks even offers it. Andys motor is a motronic 3.6, so it makes more sense to use it on his application...
Scott S
Drop Perry Kiehl a line. He just sent me a fantastic wiring harness for my conversion that incorporated everything from the Pertronix to the MSD in what appears to be a factory harness. It elimintes the relay board and plugs directly into the factory harness. It is SO cool...
rfuerst911sc
I recently picked up my 3.0 conversion from my mechanic. He used the relay board and it looks like he only added one wire to it. The factory harness is plugged into the board I guess to run other items. Also using a internally regulated alternator.
Jeffs9146
I recently picked up my 3.0 conversion from my mechanic

Is it FI or Carbs?

I am going to try to run FI!
bag5rcg
Yep...Looking like the the new harness with the male plug is the way to go....I may check out what Perry has to offer (is he on the board??)...Thanks for all of the input!
Justinp71
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 8 2010, 05:07 PM) *

Is it FI or Carbs?

Are you refering to the factory CIS or an actual FI system?

In my opinion I would only do Motronric, carbs or a throttle body injection system. The fi systems can run good, but I hear its a lot of work and many have horror stories.

I would have loved to run motronic on my 3.0 but its requires a bit of machining to the heads, so I went with carbs! I think they're totally awesome and I get around 17-20 mpg (motronics I think get 25-30).
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Mar 8 2010, 05:07 PM) *

Is it FI or Carbs?

Weber 40's
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.