Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Grasshopper LE spotted!!!!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Curvie Roadlover
Yesterday I went out for a cruise in the teener and while I was stopped at a light a grasshopper LE went by!! He pulled into a gas station at the corner by the light. I was in the left turn lane and by the time I got turned around and back to the gas station it was gone. I'm no expert at authenticity so I couldn't tell if it was genuine or not at a glance but it was definately white with that lime green trim. The kicker is that I actually thought about bringing my camera along but didn't. Rest assurred I will always have my camera with my in that neck of the woods from now on. If I happen by that car again and get some good pics, maybe I'll auction them off on ebay laugh.gif Sorry about the missed oppertunity, Jeff sad.gif
Curvie Roadlover
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Yeah, I know. rolleyes.gif
seanery
bs.gif pissoff.gif stfu.gif bs.gif
davep
Go to the gas station and ask if the car is a regular customer. If it is, then haunt the place.

You have your mission, should you choose not to accept it may the rust demons decend upon you. laugh.gif beerchug.gif
Bleyseng
Yes, ask if the guy is a regular and if so leave a note for him.

Geoff
Curvie Roadlover
I hope you all can imagine how badly I was kicking myself for not having a camera. I'd have been the Mel Fisher of the 914 community. The corner where i saw it was not exacxtly close to home. I don't know when I'll be back in that vicinity.
Bleyseng
"Your mission, should you choose, is to find the Grasshopper LE agent Curvie"

this message will self destruct it 10 secs.
tod914
Was it being driven by a Yeti in area 51? Call me skeptical, but they don't exist!
Bleyseng
No, they do exist as I have seen one before.
JeffBowlsby
Hey Curvie...thats really encouraging news! The fact that you at least spotted the Grasshopper LE is good news in and of itself. So we now have the best clue yet that there is at least one still on the road. A knowledgeable person recently told me he thought there may have been 150 Grasshoppers built. Its all speculation at this point.

What city/state did you see it? Male or female driver? Maybe it doesn't come out of the garage much and its has just come out of hibernation. Maybe one of our 914 CLub members is local to the area and can begin asking around at the local repair garages? If its a small town, maybe event eh copy shops with a photos of the car (print it from the LE website)?

We need to find this car, and its only a matter of time until we do. Our WW 914-Spotters Network, the WW914SN, is alive and well... I am glad to say. Lets all take a vow to carry a camera everywhere we go...

cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif cool.gif
Bleyseng
carry a camera cellphone, dude. The pics are lousy but sumthin is better than nuthin.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(tod914 @ Mar 28 2004, 08:08 AM)
Was it being driven by a Yeti in area 51? Call me skeptical, but they don't exist!

That's what I thought until yesterday.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Mar 28 2004, 10:26 AM)
That's what I thought until yesterday.

can you go to yahoo maps and point out the exact location of the gas-station?

maybe someone else closer could go on the hunt as well.
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
Bleyseng
I looked on Map point and I couldn't find the city of Southeast, Michgan. Where is that?
Curvie Roadlover
here ya go
TJB/914
Hey Curvie,

It's not April Fools day till next week!!

If it's true, we need to get the SMOG on a LE hunt downriver.

How can you do this to Bowsley?? Mental torture, it's only a white 914 with a little green paint. No big deal.

Tom
seanery
dude! I didn't know you were near woodhaven. Do you go to the big cruise?
TJB/914
Seanery,
If you were talking to me, The answer is "yes". The local SMOG always has a group cruse set up by Gary, BS Chairperson. The problem is overheating & going one mile in one hour. Gary always sets up the meeting place btwn. 10 & 11 mile. The cruse is how we met Rick (with Raby's motor & Tangerine exhaust) a few years ago.
As for me. I was crusing Woodward back in the 50's in my Ford Cpe. with 331 Hemi engine. Those were the days. We didn't know things would turn out like they did.
Tom
seanery
Dad & I may have to come up soon. I've seen video of it. It looks awesome!
TJB/914
Seanery,
That's me back in the 50's with one of my past cpe's.
Tom
seanery
is that a 33 or 34? Nice, I like the suicide doors. Was it a flatty?
Dad's doing a 32 roadster, I haven't made up my mind, but I'm thinking some flavor of pickup 30-35ish.
davep
Carry a disposable camera with flash. Above all else, get the VIN. Even the licence plate number would help. Next to the VIN we need the numbers off of the Karmann badge. I'm only a few hours away from Detroit, so I can go document the car if the owner is willing.

DaveP
Bleyseng
chowtime.gif tell the owner his car is worth atleast $2000 but you'll offer him$1800 cash today.

Geoff
tod914
Carry a disposable camera with flash

just don't forget to remove the film after you dispose of the camera idea.gif

Im curious what green was used on the rockers. Does anyone know 100% what it was?
Bleyseng
Whatever green is on that Carrera GT 911 side decal. Somebody on the list kinda figured it out last year, I don't remember now what color code that is.

Geoff
oh yeah, Hideous Green
Curvie Roadlover
One thing I noticed was that there was an aftermarket passenger side mirror painted matching green. Didn't see the drivers side. idea.gif
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(seanery @ Mar 28 2004, 12:43 PM)
dude! I didn't know you were near woodhaven. Do you go to the big cruise?

Huh? I lived in Woodhaven for 10 years. What big criuse are you talking about? the Woodward Dream Cruise? that's no where near Woodhaven.
Qarl
Curvie:

You are the chosen one!

This is a signal from God that you must follow through on the quest and find the Holy Grail of LE 914s... the almighty grasshopper.
seanery
so I got em cornfused. How far is that?
URY914
I think you fell asleep under a tree and had a dream.
Spring is in the air in Mich.

Paul
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(seanery @ Mar 28 2004, 05:29 PM)
so I got em cornfused. How far is that?

AHhhhh Woodhaven Woodward. I see. Woodhaven is a town, Woodward is a street.
Curvie Roadlover
So, I'm on my way home from work today. The gas station closest to my house is selling regular for 2.09 9/10 which I've found nowadays to be a bargain so I stop to fill 'er up. As I'm watching the numbers on the pump whizz by, I hear an unusual exhaust tone coming from behind me. When I turned around, there it was again zippin' by. ohmy.gif This time I was only about 4 blocks from home. I am definately gonna have to start carrying a camera in my car.
AZ914
Maybe the gas station caught it on a security cam.. biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Psssssssssssssssssssst... don't anyone tell Tom but this "is" Michigan afterall. There are no more 914's left in Michigan. The last one rusted away back in 1996. I'm afraid we have a more serious problem here. Tom's not feeling well and he needs our help. wacko.gif Anyone know a good therapist in that area? When one of our own is in trouble it's our obligation to help. biggrin.gif

(Michigander born and raised... I can make the jokes) beer.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 20 2004, 02:57 PM)
There are no more 914's left in Michigan.

it's probably a white 911 with the green carrera stripes ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
Eric_Shea
Naaaaaa... they didn't get galvinized bodies until 76. There's no pre-76 911's in Michigan either w00t.gif My guess is a Lotus... had a Ford engine and a fiberglass body. Custom made for Michiganders.
Curvie Roadlover
This is a link to the Porsche 914 SIG site. If you look at the bottom of the page you'll see that Michigan ranks 3RD in 914's behind Texas ( #1 and home state of the web site moderator) and California. Pretty impressive, I think, for a rustbelt state. finger.gif
Curvie Roadlover
Stand by for photos of MI 914's to be taken at the annual Vintage VW meet this Sunday. Our SMOG group is sending a contingency to represent the NARP division of Karmann clap56.gif
Eric_Shea
Poor Tom... he's delirious. This is like a bad Twilight Zone episode. He even thinks there's a special interest group made up of fellow 914 owners sad.gif

One more thing... Tom, once you put a camera in your car "Grassquatch" will "NEVER" be seen again. Best off chasing him down. Good luck.

Hey, are you guys having a get together in AA August 7th?
Chris H.
I believe it was a 914. There are a whole shitload of them in Michigan. The question is, is it a real Grasshopper or not? Curvie, throw yourself in front of that thing next time you see it. Take one for the team will ya?
Curvie Roadlover
Here's a pic from last years' VW thing.
Yes Eric, August 7th in Whitmore Lake, actually, about 10 miles north of Ann Arbor. See the thread in the nailed thread section. We're expecting 50 to 60 914's (Granted, not all will be from Michigan). And you're right about carrying a camera. Doing that will assure I'll never see it again. It's pretty beat up, so Im assuming the owner is not an enthusiest and probably doesn't even know what he has.
vortrex
I still can't believe there are that many 914's at once in frog island park! that was my stomping ground and daily bike path for years and I don't remember ever seeing a 914 in the area.
Eric_Shea
I may be able to make it. I just have to convince the boss to let me go to a 914 function while on vacation. We were going to fly out of DTW on the 7th but they cancelled the flight so we're flying out the morning of the 8th.

BTW I've seen the pics. One of your members had been e-mailing me back and forth looking for pictures of my never used 6 tool kit. He has a nice yellow 4-banger, The pics were for his friends with the sixes. I guess they're way CW. Can't remember his name but I would if it was put in front of me again... I think he's here. He turned me on to Aaron Pfadt as well. Aaron moved out here last year. Great guy.

I'll be in Eaton Rapids the 29th through the 8th.
Curvie Roadlover
Probably Thomas J Bliznik, owner of this incredible 914 and occasional 914club board visitor.
Hope you're able to make it, Eric. There is a trophy for the attendee that travels the furthest to get there. Could be you confused24.gif

I had to edit this post 'cuz it initially said there is atrophy for the attendee that travels the furthest. I'm really not in a position to promise atrophy to anyone lol2.gif
Eric_Shea
Yup... that's him.

...and at my age I don't need atrophy sad.gif
TJB/914
Eric
That wasn't me. Must be one of the other SMOG guys. My guess "Hawk" he's a gonna be CW or maybe Doc Andy?? Andy also has the CW bug. Then again maybe Rick?? The list is long, but it's wasn't me.
Tom
Eric_Shea
I'm fairly certain it was you I was talking to... no? The two guys with the 6's were the CW's we were referring to. They wanted pics of my tool kit...? No? Didn't you hip me to Aaron Pfadt moving to Salt Lake? Is your 4 on the homepage of another site? Racing?

I'm losing it... wacko.gif
BS Chairman
Eric,
I think you may have talked to Glenn Trapp. The CW thing sounds like him talking. And yes, he has a Yellow 74 2.0. Hawk and I were looking for an original six tool kit. As far as 914's in MI. we have about forty in our group! Some are rusted, but on the whole, they are fine cars. In the group there are ten factory six's. I think that says alot for MI. by its self. Now for the Grasshopper. If Tom says he saw one, well, he may have. I do know that we have a Creamsicle joining our group. With it's original owner!
Eric_Shea
smilie_pokal.gif Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, smilie_pokal.gif

I must have registered Tom's name from the list here but yes, it was Glenn for sure. Nice guy.

(getting old sucks... wacko.gif )

So, if I'm going to Ann Arobor I need to get these names straight. You and Hawk are the sixers with a bad case of CW (I'm a tad bit inflicted myself so no insults intended) Glens more the speed demon. Tom B. has a wicked clean 2.0 (?) and the "other" Tom keeps thinking he's seeing "Grassquatch" blink.gif

And guys... please don't take my posts too literal. I was joking about Michigan and rust. I'm a Michigander. I grew up there and got my first Fred Flintstone model bug there. Got my first 914 there (traded a guitar for it). I'm sure there's a lot of fine teeners out there. I'm humble... you want rust? click here.

One more thing... "Take your passengers side mirrors off! It didn't leave the line like that. What were you guys thinking!!" w00t.gif
BS Chairman
Eric,
Mirrors stay! Remember, there's more than five cars on the road here at any given time! I know that they didn't come that way, but, they sure are helpfull. driving.gif

You now have all the names right. We should have and open seat for you on Aug. 7th if you show.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.