Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help get a Motorized Chair & Van for Korijo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Bruce Allert
Please help a fellow member of the 914world.com get a much-needed motorized wheelchair by donating thru the 914Club.

You can donate by clicking the "pay pal" button at the bottom of this page.
If you don't know what "pay pal" is, you can read all about it by clicking here
Or, if you would rather send a check, please make the check payable to Brad Roberts and send it to:

SSI
C/O Brad Roberts
20 Pamaron Way
Novato, Ca. 94949

All donations go towards obtaining a chair for Korijo.

Dave, (or "Korijo" as he is known on the 914world.com BBS), has ALS or Lou Gehrig’s Disease.

He is 28. ALS is a fatal neuromuscular disease characterized by progressive muscle weakness resulting in paralysis.
To learn more about this devastating disease go to this site www.lougehrigsdisease.net

Dave's married to Kori and they have 2 little kids: Keone David is 18 months old and Elijah David is 1 month old.
Dave was a sponsored skateboarder and worked construction.

Now, due to being stricken with ALS, he uses his time by playing with his sons and working on his 914 with the help of fellow 914world.com members Chris Reale & Geoff (Bleyseng) along with a few others in the Seattle area.
ALS has brought him to the point of barely being able to use his hands & arms.

He was turned onto the 914 because he was a VW lover and found out that 914s are based on a VW.
He found his 914 on ebay, bought it, then he and a friend drove it back to Seattle, where he began its restoration into an Auto Cross car for his children.
His desire is to leave his children a legacy.
He also has a Bug that has been fully restored and is quite stunning to look at.

Chris has helped Dave out with electrical stuff like lights, dropped his engine and split the case (Bleyseng helped split the case as well) and with suspension stuff.
Geoff (Bleyseng) has welded in a new floor pan, battery tray and engine shelf.

While being consumed by the 914 bug, he naturally has parts all over the house, some of which Keone likes to get into and play with.
Keone had a full roll cage in his room, something most kids cannot claim to have had!
His wife, Kori is originally from Oregon, and is a sweet person, and has quite a bit of patience with Dave and his car parts.

With as many close knit members in the 914Club (500+), all it would take is a small donation from each of us to help Dave (Korijo) get his chair in no time flat, and time is something he doesn't have much of.

If you'd like to make a donation, please click the button above...

bruce boldblue.gif flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif
vortrex
did you use the paypal link on the top of this page? anything special to note/do to make sure it gets into the korijo fund?
Bruce Allert
Yes, I used the link.
There wasn't anything as yet set up for it to go to his fund. As soon as Brad get back from his meeting I think he will be working this out. I just wanted to be sure this would work.
bruce
vortrex
brad,

I just sent $50 to the generic 914club fund, please route it to korijo.

EDIT:

so you don't feel left out, I sent $17.67 to the 914club fund. biggrin.gif
ChrisReale
I made a donation as well, from mazjazz38@yahoo.com
Not sure how yo can differentiate a 914 club donation and a Korijo donation.... blink.gif
GWN7
Need an address to send a money order to (no Paypal)?
Bruce Allert
I just opened the PayPal link to see if there was a way to specify the donation was for Korijo. I don't know if it will show up to the proper authorities but, under the area of "GIFT ADDRESS" you can add Korijo's name. I also added his name interspersed within my address.
Jeroen, Sir Andy & Brad
Can either of you check to see if this will work?
Also, is there an address that can be posted for those that do not have a PayPal acct. and want to send a check?
Below is a copy of the area in PayPal that will accept Korijo's name.
:flower: bruce

Enter Address Information

Please specify if shipping to you or to someone else and then enter the shipping address.

Recipient:
My Address (Home/Work)

Gift Address

Enter a name for your gift address above
tryan
what would be a snail mail address for donations to either? not a lover of paypal.
Brad Roberts
I will donate everything in the account... so no need to specify..

We have 1100$ right now with everything combined (April 6th 12:26 Pm)

I'm still planning on donating 500$ from the sale of "Muellers 6" when I have it ready.

This is where I need some help. I have the ability to send out a mass email, but never intended to use it like "spam". Can I use it and NOT get my ass fried for spamming people with the admin@914world.com account ?? The cause is right and my intentions are correct but I dont need pissed off people.

Let me know what you think.

B
Brad Roberts
Tryan,

To keep it simple: Send checks to

SSI C/O Brad Roberts
20 Pamaron Way
Novato, Ca. 94949

I have a PayPal bank card and can deposit through bank machines to the account using the card. When it comes time to pay for the chair I will give them the card number like a credit card.

B
Mike9142.0
If it is from someone I know and for a good cause I do not mind at all.
We still need a snail mail address for the people that do not want to deal with paypal.
Bleyseng
Way to go Bruce to get this started! Dave (Korijo) is a great guy with ALS so if everyone helps alittle bit we can get this done for him. I do want Dave to be able to show up for the 914 events we have up here (the pitiful few) plus to be able to get around too!

Geoff
Bruce Allert
Brad, some might get upset but I think most would view it as a good cause. If you feel you should get clearance from admin@914world.com account people then better to wait. It can't hurt. Yer doin' a great job there Brad.... thanks

Geoff, let me know when a get together is planned with Dave involved and I'll try to make it up. My sister lives in Seattle so I could make it a double event wink.gif
Well, beer.gif here we go so I guess we're movin' forward mueba.gif
bruce
Brad Roberts
Bruce,

F-them if I get any crappy response from people that receive the "admin" email. (forgot I was an ASSHOLE)

I need something written up that I can send out. We need to describe who Dave is and little about his 914 being built by other club members. I have met him personally but dont feel that I have enough info to write a email about the situation. The email has to "sell" people on the idea of donating.

I'll send it out tonight if we can get something written up (people will have it in their email for Monday morning)

B
Bruce Allert
biggrin.gif Brad, I kinda figured you'd say something like that. Right on beer3.gif
I just emailed Geoff (Bleyseng) since he's helped Korijo quite a bit, he knows him and can either write something for ya or furnish me with some info and I'll put it down.
I got the ok from Damp Dave to do a post on Pelican. It's on that site now too with your address for mailing checks and a directive to 914club for paying via PayPal.
We'll get this, one way or another.
bruce
jonwatts
This is an excellent first use of the 914CLUB donation fund.
Bleyseng
Chris Reale knows him better than I.
Dave is building the 914 for one of his kids plus it gives him something to do ie: a passion. Hell, what better than a 914! Imagine dying slowly......and he is only 27 years old. His life was before him and stolen away by this cruel disease. We relate because he was also in construction so we always talk shit about that.... I have held his newborn baby in my arms which is kinda fun. Looks just like him but better lookin.
Dave should be at the "914 Breakfast in Seattle event", I know he wants to go. I'll check or maybe he will post soon about it.
I hope you make it up Bruce as it should be fun, if not, I do want to move the Breakfast Event around to different places and cities so we can show off the cars and eat in some fun places too.
Andy says he might come which would be cool too, heck, did he even get a Honeymoon?
Geoff mueba.gif
Jeroen
Hey Brad,

Whadda ya mean spam???
If those wankers consider an e-mail to help a fellow 914world.com member as spam... fuck 'em and kick 'em off the bbs!

finger.gif

Send it out!

cheers,

Jeroen
Bruce Allert
beer3.gif I be drink'n to dat, Mon flag.gif flag.gif flag.gif beerchug.gif
bruce
tahoward
Great job of getting this going guys. If you can't help a fellow 914'er in trouble what good are you. Thanks again all.
Dave Cawdrey
I just got back from Oregon, and see this.
I cannot believe this... I started to cry (happy tears wink.gif ) You guys made my day.
I want to thank everyone for the support. Without this club/site, I prolly be a couch potato.
I am tired, and gonna take some time to rest. I get back soon.

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!
aktion035.gif mueba.gif aktion035.gif mueba.gif aktion035.gif mueba.gif
jonwatts
Don't thank us too soon. When we get all that money together we might just decide to have one hell of a party instead laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
hey man,
our prayers and donations go out to ya!
well even spring for flames on yer wheelchair....screw the people who think that helping someone out is spam! finger.gif
Mark Henry
Brad for the email idea. People don’t seem to mind donating money when they are getting something in return.

This site has become an valuable resource for me and I have no problem with paying a membership fee. Also I want a sticker and T-shirt. What’s 20 bucks (or so) per membership and a couple of extra bucks tacked onto each t-shirt and sticker sale.

Doing it this way we will net more donations. Yes, we may also lose a small number of members, oh well, they can always use one of the other sites for their info.
Bruce Allert
Brad, got it done & sent it to you email
bruce
Brad Roberts
MarkH,

I'll send a second email out offering the stickers/shirts and pushing the SSI swap meet.

(Good idea)

B
Brad Roberts
MarkH,

I'll send a second email out offering the stickers/shirts and pushing the SSI swap meet.

(Good idea)

B
Jeroen
I just updated the PayPal Donate page with the info from the e-mail

If any of you have any other ideas or info to add to this page, lemme know and I'll work it out...

If you haven't visited the page yet, please do so now.
Any and all donations will be put to good use!!!

It's great to see the 914 community join forces on this and it's great to be a part of such a community!

cheers,

Jeroen
djm914-6
I'm sorry, I don't have any extra cash at this time. I really want to help out a fellow teener, so this is the best I can do for now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=2922151153

Please spread the word!
Bruce Allert
Hey Dave, that's might cool of you beer.gif
I'm going to say right now that I want that Orange teener. Do ya want me to bid or can I send your going rate (+) for it?
bruce:driving:
Bruce Allert
PayPal site Very well done Jeroen beer.gif
Looks good and well done clap56.gif
bruce
djm914-6
Bruce,
Right now, I'm not taking any extra orders as I'm trying to build up some stock for the Hershey event later this month. I think that placing a bid for what you would like to pay is the best bet for now. If you don't win, then we can talk. BTW, those are just sample pics of shirts I had sold in the past and not what I have in stock.
Bruce Allert
Dave, I saw your post on Pelican too. That's great. I will bid and request an Orange teener... If I don't win it I'll get in touch wit'cha when you have your stock built up. clap56.gif
bruce
Chris H.
How much do we need for the chair?
Bleyseng
It depends on the model. I vote for the six with the flares.
Geoff
Brad Roberts
We need: 8000$

We have: 1761$ as of 11am on Monday the 7th. Plus the 500$ I'll kick in when I sell "Muellers6"

B
Dave Cawdrey
You people amaze me...

Much thanks, again. pray.gif
Brad Roberts
I want family pics from you Dave. Get the kids and wife in one room and have your parents shoot a us pic.

Or give us some F-'d up crippled pose. I'll make you a poster child...LOL sorry.

Figured you could use a laugh or two.

B
dagdal1967
I'm bidding for the T-Shirt cause its cool.. All the better that the money goes to help Korijo!

I'm donating to the fund as well.. Just gotta get my paypal account set up and working.

This is the best use of a BBS community that I've ever seen! Well done to everyone!

Doug
Dave Cawdrey
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 7 2003, 11:02 AM)
I want family pics from you Dave. Get the kids and wife in one room and have your parents shoot a us pic.

Or give us some F-'d up crippled pose. I'll make you a poster child...LOL sorry.

Figured you could use a laugh or two.

B

I'll work on an updated pic for yuse guys...

My disease dont affect my sense of humor lol laugh.gif
TimT
Im in... just dropped some coin....

Id rather help find a cure.... but if a chair will help till we find a cure then so be it.

beer.gif
jonwatts
QUOTE(korijo @ Apr 7 2003, 02:33 PM)
I'll work on an updated pic for yuse guys...

My disease dont affect my sense of humor lol laugh.gif

I believe ALS is the same thing Stephen Hawking has. Maybe we could just use his picture biggrin.gif

Korijo, hang on to that sense of humor. It's more valuable than anything else we can give you. Besides, you're going to need it when you see that the chair we get you is really just a rusty shopping cart with a leaky Exide battery and two 914 starters driving the back wheels.
Bruce Allert
Jon, You're right on both counts. Steven Hawking has ALS and has been beating the odds his whole adult life.
A sence of humor does wonders for one with medical problems. Korijo continues to show us that.
Here's a link to some things Steven says about himself.
http://www.hawking.org.uk/disable/dindex.html
enjoy, with hope
bruce beer.gif
Brad Roberts
As of 6pm 04/07/03 2055.00 without my 500$ (I may have a couple of buyers for the cars) (Tube car and Muellers6)

I listed parts for sale in the classifieds and will give some of the proceeds from them as well.

B
JRust
I just paypaled the account! Absolutely happy to help anyway I can. I had a lady that wanted me to sell her van with a wheelchair lift on it. Let me know if that is still a need & I'll look into it a little further. I didn't have the time to deal with it then. I'm sure she still has it! Proud to be a member of all the 914 groups out there. I've always loved the comrodery & help I've recieved since I bought mine! Hope to see you soon Koirijo -Jamie (pizza dude)
Brad Roberts
OK.. WHO told the 911 guy's ?? LOL I just had a 911 friend of mine from Phoenix AZ donate. He has never even owned a 914.

Damn Dave (Korijo) what else will you need ?? clap56.gif

B
Dave Cawdrey
Jamie,
Yes the van is still needed. I may need to trade our mv in for the proper style van, tho. It will need to have a bumped up roof AND lowered floor, so my face isn't smushed into the roof.

I need to clear up some minor details...

First, I have been fitted for a chair already. It should be finished soon. A donor chair might not serve all my needs (a place for a breathing machine, for one thing). I do appreciate the offers...

Second, there is still a chance the maker of the chair will donate the chair. More likely they wont cover the entire cost. Medicare covers some. How much? Dont know. I dont expect more than 20%.

If the chair is fully paid for, then the donations will help with the mv. Everyone clear on the details?

My family and I are so greatful. We cannot believe this. The initial post was for an idea, and has since blown up to an unbelieable, unimaginable scenerio. How much can I say? Thanks to all biggrin.gif
Bleyseng
I know your camera works Dave, so post a "family" shot so the newbies and people unfamilar with you can see you and the family. Hmmm, on second thought, how about just the wife and kids as they are soo cute, we know what you look like: the smiley face!

Geoff
Dave Cawdrey
Nice avitar ! cool_shades.gif
Working on the pic. #1 son is in bed. Prolly tomorrow.
VegasRacer
When I first learned of Dave's need for assistance funding the purchase of a wheel chair I proposed offering some of my 914 license plates as incentives for donations. I am delighted to see that I underestimated the generosity of the teener friends on this web site and that bribery is not needed. Apparently an open heart and open wallet over ride greed and selfishness around here. I am proud to be associated with such a fine group.
beerchug.gif
Korijo this one will be in your mail box soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.